Corona Render.., it seems to be FAST!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2012
Corona Render.., it seems to be FAST!

Hey

I don`t use MAX for render, but i just took the alpha of Corona Render and made some quick test and the speed is really AMAZING and with great quality!...
It can handle many millions of polys through it`s own scatter system, and using planes as area lights was fast in my quick test.

Corona is a Render that supports biased and Unbiased modes and it has full 3ds max integration.

I would love to hear the opinion of those 3DS MAX/Render Gurus about the render regarding the speed and quality. On the forums there is also a vray conversion script to convert materials, i have not test it out because as i said i don`t use max for rendering but it seems to work great.

Cheers

Last edited by yolao : 11 November 2012 at 04:23 PM.

11 November 2012
it is fast!
my first thought was "not another renderer"
but this one look promising!
and for an alpha, the implementation is already really good

01 January 2013
It is really fast I just love it! It's one of a kind renderer!

for arch viz and that kind of stuff, it's the best, so easy to set up and so fast, it's incredible!

in 3 minutes I have a clean image in 800/600... 3 fucking minutes lol even at 1min30 it's quite clean! While Vray took 15 min, it took 5 min with corona and it's more realistic.

The HDRI work's just perfectly! and fast has hell! no need for a dome etc, just put a hdri map and that's it! Crisp shadows etc, perfect looking.

this renderer is a jawel, bless to a great futur for sure

I need to add, the implementation is already good and the workflow is perfect, really simple and intuituve!

Website here: http://www.lucbegin.com/

01 January 2013
Yes, Corona has a bright future, the render engine itself is very stable and fast, I would like to improve the lights preview in the viewport, this is all.

01 January 2013
Any idea how it compares to Keyshot?

02 February 2013
I spent some time today testing Corona and I just can't believe how fast and well integrated it is considering it's in alpha stage.
I haven't done any in-depth tests but it seems to be stable and while it has some bugs/limitations its support for 3rd party maps is a big advantage compared to other engines (again, some limitations exist).
It has a very nice and versatile material, almost (?) everything is mappable, it supports anisotropy, translucency, emission, absorption and round corners effect and has some useful switches. Lights could get some love but I'm sure it'll happen at some point.
Rendering itself is really fast despite being CPU only. Have a look at the image below, it rendered in 6:23 mins on a dual-Xeon machine and has glossy reflections, glossy refractions, translucency, area lighting, geometry lighting, dof and motion blur. I don't think I could get that out of any other engine at this quality in 6 mins... mind blowing

EDIT

...and a link to a HD version of the same image, ~37 mins. I know it's not a real world scenario, but still impressive.

Last edited by pokoy : 02 February 2013 at 05:42 PM.

02 February 2013
I would like to know if someone tested it for animation (with moving objects) and was able to get rid of the flicker?
I tried but didn't succeed yet.
Thank you

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by boumay: I would like to know if someone tested it for animation (with moving objects) and was able to get rid of the flicker?
I tried but didn't succeed yet.
Thank you

You will always get a flicker if you use cached methods for animation. So there are two options:

If you have no moving objects in your scene, then you can save HDCache solution and reuse it to get flickerfree animation.

If you have moving objects in your scene, you just set both primary and secondary GI to path tracing. It will be noisy, but it won't flicker.

Of course for scenes like interiors, brute force may take long... there are some improvements planned in these areas.

02 February 2013
Thank you for giving me these tips

02 February 2013
I went from chrome > cgtalk > "what the hell is corona render?" to download > install > convert scene > "holy crap this is an awesome renderer" in about 5 minutes. No lie.

Impressed!!

02 February 2013
Thanks everyone, I'm glad you like it .

02 February 2013
Very much so! Needs SSS skin tho.

MY HMC

02 February 2013
People who are using it, can we see some more examples of your tests?

02 February 2013
Quote: People who are using it, can we see some more examples of your tests?

You must take into consideration that the corona renderer is still in alpha. This is a 2 minute render @ 720p (55 seconds for AO) from a previous project.

Edit: Pandora doesn't glitch during a render.

Last edited by em3 : 02 February 2013 at 12:15 AM.

02 February 2013
When you use brute force methods, there is not much need for AO anymore... it was originally intended to increase contact shadow accuracy of old interpolated GI methods or ambient lighting. But at this point, i think increasing overall contrast of your output without using AO would give you similar result, with slightly better looking less dirty shadows

Thread Closed share thread