adding lights to instanced groups?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
adding lights to instanced groups?

i have a street lamp model that is a group of objects. i instanced the street lamp group 40 times. i forgot to add a vraylight inside the street lamp group.

is it possible to add the vray light now after the groups are instanced? is there a script? i didnt find anything.

thanks

Old 10 October 2012   #2
soulburn has a mighty replacer script in his package (Object Replacer). Simply modify one group ( add the light ) and use the script to replace all other groups with instance of the new group... The script has various options so you sure will be able to do exactly what you want to do

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_tools...burnscripts.htm

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Old 10 October 2012   #3
i tryed object replacer but it didnt work. can you tell me the first steps?

thanks

Old 11 November 2012   #4
i dont think the object replacer works with groups.

anyone tryed it out with groups?

Old 11 November 2012   #5
Hy! Yes, I tried adding lights to one group, then replacing the instances of that group with Neil's Object Replacer. It works just fine! If you need a step by step, I can show it to you, but is very simple and intuitive.

Old 11 November 2012   #6
i tryed it again and i dont know.

so please a simple step by step tutorial. thank you.

Old 11 November 2012   #7
Ok. So you said you have the group instanced about forty times and you want to add lights to that instances. First you add all the lights to one instanced group, then close it. Launch Object replacer, add in the list ("Object you want to replace with") the group with lights added, but pay attention that you have the name of the group in the list, not some part of that group (you may have to add it with "pick by name" - usually the hotkey is "H"). Then you just select all other instances of that group that do not have the lights, and hit Apply. Tell me it that worked for you.

Old 11 November 2012   #8
i think it works.

i made a group(teapot,cylinder,sphere) and made 6 instances. then after that i added two vray lights in the first original group.

my mistake was that i didnt use the H for ''pick by name''. it looks like i first picked an object inside the group.

thank you for the help. soulburn scripts again proove that they are one of the best.

Old 11 November 2012   #9
Yeah - i guess you were picking in the viewport and that method picks group members, even if they are part of a closed group. Because closed groups do not display their group boxes, you are not able to pick the group itself in the viewport with this method. In the select by name dialog you only can pick the group if it's closed, so that worked....

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Old 11 November 2012   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread