Which fluid effects system to learn?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
Which fluid effects system to learn?

Right now there is the choice between Glu3d, Phoenix FD, or Real Flow. Which is the easiest? And which is the most feature rich?

I need to animate a splash of water hitting against a cell phone in order to convey its water proof features, which of these three would do the trick for me?

There is next to nothing on the subject of choosing between these pieces of software, so Im sure a great many people will find this subject interesting.

Old 10 October 2012   #2
I used realflow before but none of the others. Just searched the net for videos created using the other two. There are promising examples but none matches the realism of realflow. I have to state that it is hard to find the correct scale for your scene though.

Nevertheless, learning it is quite simple. A few steps to create your scene, easy to import max objects, easy to get back. Workflow is practical. just simulate and get going in minutes.

Old 10 October 2012   #3
Originally Posted by Byteman3D: I used realflow before but none of the others. Just searched the net for videos created using the other two. There are promising examples but none matches the realism of realflow. I have to state that it is hard to find the correct scale for your scene though.

Nevertheless, learning it is quite simple. A few steps to create your scene, easy to import max objects, easy to get back. Workflow is practical. just simulate and get going in minutes.

Thanks for your reply, Ill look into real flow.

I see its more of a standalone application. Does this make it difficult to import animated files into realflow? And does it export the final result as mesh, so I can render in vray?

Old 10 October 2012   #4
Originally Posted by PsYcHZ: Thanks for your reply, Ill look into real flow.

I see its more of a standalone application. Does this make it difficult to import animated files into realflow? And does it export the final result as mesh, so I can render in vray?

It's really easy to import a mesh from max and it has a plugin that loads the generated mesh in to 3ds max.

You can also load the particles in to Particle Flow or Frost if you have it.

Old 10 October 2012   #5
It is really simpler than you think. All you need is a basics tutorial.

You create your scene objects in 3dsmax. Animate them as necessary then export it as a realflow sd file. Open it in realflow. Place emitters.
You'll be surprised how well realflow automatically sees those objects as colliding objects and perfectly simulate the effect of water.

Any animation on the objects automatically affects the liquids. There are small tricks like diabling the animation and filling your water pan with water with a steady frame of the aimation. Then enable it to see the water splash beautifully.

Before simulation you select what are going to be exported. (particles meshes etc.)
Mesh creation is not so powerful in realflow. It works but you may also consider some tool like krakatoa to create the mesh.

After you simulate it mesh, particle -whatever you wish- is exported in binary frame formats. It takes up space according to resolution. Be aware.

Those binary frame data is imported in max by another import object in Max. Either particle or mesh. Binary frame data is some kind of sequential data, that you can even copy and rename as the rest of the sequence and use.

Old 10 October 2012   #6
Originally Posted by Byteman3D: Before simulation you select what are going to be exported. (particles meshes etc.)
Mesh creation is not so powerful in realflow. It works but you may also consider some tool like krakatoa to create the mesh.

Is that blobMesh generating you are talking about? In other words converting the particles to mesh?

Any animation on the objects automatically affects the liquids. There are small tricks like diabling the animation and filling your water pan with water with a steady frame of the aimation. Then enable it to see the water splash beautifully.

Can you please explain this in a little bit more detail?

Old 10 October 2012   #7
Realflow can export meshes, too. Sometimes I find it much better to only export particles, but to create the mesh in 3ds max by a particle-to-mesh plugin like krakatoa. Sililar to blob mesh creation in one sense. Realflow's mesh creation is also fine but there is some thickness in the built models, and I sometimes find it better to see it in max and adjust the effect of the mesh there.
You can turn on or off the exporting of meshes, particles, splashes whatever the program can export, from some menu command that I don't remember now. (There is a selection of what to export) Each time you simulate the scene from some arbitrary frame, it takes it from that point and starts exporting the new simulation result.

As realflow is not setup on my system I can't tell you the exact place of things, but there was a lock button, with a lock icon on it. If you press that and simulate emitters start to emit fluids without leaving the animation at the selected frame. Yo may fill a barrel with water, then when the level of water is enough, just stop simulating and turn off the lock command. Start simulation from that frame. IT takes the animation and filled amount of water into account.

But you may need experience to see what is going on here. If you move the time slider to some other frame you may lose the filled amount of water. It's cached in some folder, and it gets lost on occasions like this.

Forgive me because I don't remember the important points of creating a simple simulation, I really need to open the program and check and I don't have it at home. It's really simple to learn and simple to forget without using often. I'll write to you as I go to a computer with realflow already setup.

Old 10 October 2012   #8
Originally Posted by Byteman3D: Realflow can export meshes, too. Sometimes I find it much better to only export particles, but to create the mesh in 3ds max by a particle-to-mesh plugin like krakatoa. Sililar to blob mesh creation in one sense. Realflow's mesh creation is also fine but there is some thickness in the built models, and I sometimes find it better to see it in max and adjust the effect of the mesh there.
You can turn on or off the exporting of meshes, particles, splashes whatever the program can export, from some menu command that I don't remember now. (There is a selection of what to export) Each time you simulate the scene from some arbitrary frame, it takes it from that point and starts exporting the new simulation result.

As realflow is not setup on my system I can't tell you the exact place of things, but there was a lock button, with a lock icon on it. If you press that and simulate emitters start to emit fluids without leaving the animation at the selected frame. Yo may fill a barrel with water, then when the level of water is enough, just stop simulating and turn off the lock command. Start simulation from that frame. IT takes the animation and filled amount of water into account.

But you may need experience to see what is going on here. If you move the time slider to some other frame you may lose the filled amount of water. It's cached in some folder, and it gets lost on occasions like this.

Forgive me because I don't remember the important points of creating a simple simulation, I really need to open the program and check and I don't have it at home. It's really simple to learn and simple to forget without using often. I'll write to you as I go to a computer with realflow already setup.

All right, thanks for the help! I borrowed a digital tutors dvd from a friend on on subject, should teach me the basics I need to know.

Old 10 October 2012   #9
One thing I have been battling with is importing the particles into krakatoa. Im using the PRT loader, which doesn't do a good job of matching my scale, or displaying all the particles (even with display 100% on). Any info on getting that right?

Old 10 October 2012   #10
export from realflow as bin not prt

Old 10 October 2012   #11
Dont forget about the new Naiad system

Old 10 October 2012   #12
naiad is dead.

Old 11 November 2012   #13
Well, not everything that autodesk buys dies immideately )

Old 11 November 2012   #14
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread