How to un- set a project?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
How to un- set a project?

Hey Ho!

I've got a little nasty problem here. Somebody who was working on my machine a while ago set a Project in max 2012. The problem is we aren't working with Max' directory system, but with a very complex Shotgun based pipeline.

Now every now and then, Max is coming up with some annoying errors and warnings related to the project this guy accidently set. I have no idea how to tell Max not to be using that structure but act if everything was still plain and void. Does anybody of you guys have an idea?

Old 10 October 2012   #2
What kind of errors and warnings?
If you need to collect all assets for the file into one directory, try the Resource Collector, if you need to delete file paths, delete the 3dsmax.ini file.

Old 10 October 2012   #3
I hate Max's project "manager". Might be a dumb question, but have you tried changing the current project to another valid project and the problem still persist? I've had problems in the past where I archive a job and loading max will regenerate that project folder and subfolders, so it remembers what the last current project was.

Old 10 October 2012   #4
What are the errors that he gets? Are they to do with paths? or something else?

Old 10 October 2012   #5
Edit the XMP file for the current project.
edit (pathConfig.getCurrentProjectFolderPath())

Set the current project file. Assuming a 32 bit install in this case.
pathConfig.doProjectSetupStepsUsingDirectory @"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2012"

Old 10 October 2012   #6
Does any one know where the innitial directory structure is stored? Must be a setup file some where for it and I have never looked.

Old 10 October 2012   #7
Quote: Does any one know where the innitial directory structure is stored? Must be a setup file some where for it and I have never looked.

here > C:\Users\'user computer name'\Documents\3dsMax

does anyone use custom max project? if so did you set relative path to all of your asset?
today I got error "missing path while saving scene" when I submit to backburner and to solve the problem I convert bitmaps relative path to absolute path.
I use nested xref, and only nested xref which need to convert to absolute path

Old 10 October 2012   #8
We have a system which uses a callback script on opening to determine what sort of file the user is working on and sets all the project paths automatically. Works quite well except when Max's History dependent dialogs override it.

Old 10 October 2012   #9
Yes it looks like the network rendering doesn't like the relative paths because I'm assuming that the project was not setup on the render node as well. Some what of a problem that is for sure. This should be sent with the network render. What it comes down to is the network nodes need to know about the path changes.

Old 10 October 2012   #10
And yes I use relative paths so that I can send files to others and not have to repath anything.

Old 10 October 2012   #11
Quote: And yes I use relative paths so that I can send files to others and not have to repath anything.

hey paul, so how did you solve 'missing map' when submit to netrender? did you strip path to absolute when will render?

Quote: We have a system which uses a callback script on opening to determine what sort of file the user is working on and sets all the project paths automatically. Works quite well except when Max's History dependent dialogs override it.

hey dave, your asset path depend on per project or all project in one place?

Old 10 October 2012   #12
I typically create a Project folder for each release of 3ds max in a default location. I do this, because if all installs use the same project (2011, 2012, 2013, etc) and you work in multiple versions you will have autobacks, etc being overridden by who knows what version.

-Eric

Old 11 November 2012   #13
Do you guys not create a project folder per project and keep all assets within that folder structure ? I thought that was the point.

As far as autobacks go we prefix the name of the autobacks with the name of the computer.

Also does anyone know where or what the file is that dictates what folders are created when you set the project folder.
I've looked and posted but not found it - it would be handy to be able to rename a few and add a few. For example we always create a 'from client' folder and usually a "composite" folder.

Old 11 November 2012   #14
I believe those options are in workspace.mxp? If you're looking for default creation dirs, I don't know. We have a generic proxy project folder with a custom .mxp and a bunch of other often-used items. We just copy/paste/rename and work from that.

Old 11 November 2012   #15
in our studio we create per project and place project folder in server, but some folder are local. for example we place autoback in drive d. because if we place autoback in server, network will be very busy when all computer do auto saving.
we have library assets and when we will use some asset form library in current project there's script to separate and place it to the right pipeline in current project folder.
but what give me headache is relative and absolute path. I set all asset in my pipeline relative but when render I need to convert it to absolute :/

did you guys use 'network drive' or 'UNC network'?

Thread Closed share thread