scaling a rigged character

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2012
scaling a rigged character

hey guys, really hope you can help me with this one.

i have this model of a construction worker. He's already rigged and everything. Now i need to import it in another scene, a construction site. The problem is, the worker is twice as big as the construction site, since the worker was made with a different units setup.

i tried to scale the worker down, but please check the attachment for the result...

it seems some of the bones scale along, some don't. Any way i tried to scale it, the same result happens.

is there a proper way to scale a rigged character?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (52.6 KB, 11 views)

10 October 2012
I had a similar problem a while back with a conflict between CM and M, I think I got around it by adding an XFORM to the mesh which allowed me to scale it without affecting the bones. I can't remember exactly what I did (I don't have the files to hand) but pretty sure someone on here pointed me in that direction. Sorry I can't be more specific but that might be a good place to start.

10 October 2012
why dont you scale construction site instead ?
its much easy than scale rigged character

10 October 2012
ah i've found it, i forgot to mention it is a CAT-animation.

i've fixed it using the Rig Resize tool, under 'Animation'- 'animation-CAT'-Rig Resize. standard with max 2010 and higher

10 October 2012
Glad you found it!

Just in case you need to scale a Biped character I've got a quick "howto" on my website:
http://www.stephen3d.com/tuts.html

I used to run into this problem all the time when the studio I worked for would buy assets that had different unit setups. I had a hard time figuring it out and finally stumbled onto a method that worked using a few different suggestions.

10 October 2012
nice tutorial, very clear!

sadly i'm using a CAT-animation, not a biped, and CAT-bones don't scale that easily... at least they don't in my situation

10 October 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread