Scanline matte without self shadows?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2012
Scanline matte without self shadows?

I've found a couple of threads regarding this problem, however, most of the solutions in the end are going over to MR/vray, or splitting it up in different objects with different settings.

I have found a solution for mentalray, but when working with specific elements, i need to use scanline rendering.

So, does anyone know of a way to have a object A throw shadows on object B, object B to throw shadows on object A, but A doesn't throw shadow on itself.

Just like the "mr Matte/Shadow/Reflection Mtl" attribute "do not self shadow", is there an equivalent for scanline rendering?

Grateful for answers
//Jonas

10 October 2012
You can do a second render without object B for a shadow pass, that way you could separate out the self shadows from object A

10 October 2012
so your idea is doing one render with all the shadows and one render with just the self shadows and subtracting them in comp to just filter out the shadows that i want?

it sounds like it could work, but for very complex scenes, it is a little annoying that it works to get the desired results in one render while using mentalray.
I'm really thinking about getting into actual shader scripting and creating a new shader to support this.
I'm just wondering if no one has done this before?

10 October 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread