exact uv position

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
exact uv position

Hi.. I was wondering if someone can tell me how to place a uv face in an exact position on the UV layout.. I'm trying to place a bunch of identical faces on top of one another in an exact place, but I can't find any options where I can type a coordinate for the position... I can always try to eye it.. but, that would be a hassle, and probably not be as accurate.. Thanks! (using max 2013 or max 2011 at home)

Old 10 October 2012   #2
It's probably easiest to copy and paste the uvs. Select the mapped polygons in the edit window, right click, copy. Select all the target poly clusters and right click paste. That will only work if the vertex order is the same, which they will be if it was cloned from the same object in the first place.

You can type in exact positions for uvs, but you'll have to do it for each vertex in turn which is usually a pain. Although if you can select the bottom left vertex of all of your poly clusters at once then you can set them all at once. But keeping track through the spaghetti mess will be difficult. The type ins at the bottom of the edit window will do this.

Old 10 October 2012   #3
thx for the reply. Unfortunately the meshes don't have the same vert order. They have the exact same uv border, but other than that they're different.

Yeah, the problem with the type-ins is that it doesn't tell me where an element is located, and trying to align the whole uv element while keeping track of where one vert is located relative to the whole element proves more trouble than it's worth... But it's probably the only way to get it done..

....this is where I regret not learning maxscript.

Last edited by sonn : 10 October 2012 at 12:09 AM.

Old 10 October 2012   #4
Make a copy of the object, then with "channel info" under utilities you can paste the current uv map into the poly channel.
Then you have the uv layout you usually see in the uvw unwrap, as editable mesh/poly.
There you can edit the layout with the usual modelling tools.
Once you are finished, copy it back into the uv-channel of the original object.

ps: if the edges get weird after the paste to poly - convert to mesh, and then back to poly

Old 10 October 2012   #5
Originally Posted by damjan: Make a copy of the object, then with "channel info" under utilities you can paste the current uv map into the poly channel.
Then you have the uv layout you usually see in the uvw unwrap, as editable mesh/poly.
There you can edit the layout with the usual modelling tools.
Once you are finished, copy it back into the uv-channel of the original object.

ps: if the edges get weird after the paste to poly - convert to mesh, and then back to poly

I guess this was meant to be for my other thread. Thanks very much! this changes everything for the better

Old 10 October 2012   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread