If I buy 3ds max 2009 will I need to update mentalray?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
If I buy 3ds max 2009 will I need to update mentalray?

Hi, the title says it all really. I'm planning on buying max 2009, but wouldn't mentalray need updating? Is it even free to update?

Thanks
Astralogic

Old 10 October 2012   #2
Hmm, mental ray is integrated in max, no need to upgrade mental ray alone.

But I'm not sure how you would be able to buy max 2009 right now, you can only buy the most recent version which is 2013. The only way to get hold of an older version is to go with subscription as it gives you access to older versions as well.

Old 10 October 2012   #3
Originally Posted by pokoy: Hmm, mental ray is integrated in max, no need to upgrade mental ray alone.

But I'm not sure how you would be able to buy max 2009 right now, you can only buy the most recent version which is 2013. The only way to get hold of an older version is to go with subscription as it gives you access to older versions as well.

Check it out.

Old 10 October 2012   #4
This is a very grey legal area, but in this case -it would be legit as long as the buyer and the seller are in the EU, as their laws override any Autodesk terms.. (there have been 2 court rulings lately)
But first, you are not in the EU, so it gets more tricky, and second i cant see how this can be legit with them having 992 units in stock? the EU law and the court rulings referred to reselling software.. and this is probably not the case here.
Maybe someone else can shed some light on this?

Old 10 October 2012   #5
Originally Posted by damjan: This is a very grey legal area, but in this case -it would be legit as long as the buyer and the seller are in the EU, as their laws override any Autodesk terms.. (there have been 2 court rulings lately)
But first, you are not in the EU, so it gets more tricky, and second i cant see how this can be legit with them having 992 units in stock? the EU law and the court rulings referred to reselling software.. and this is probably not the case here.
Maybe someone else can shed some light on this?

Are you saying that if I buy one of those it might not activate since I'm not in the EU? No lol wait I AM in the EU. I just noticed my profile is set to Ukraine, that's wrong I must have thought it said UK. I live in England, so are those versions of max legit and usable for me?

Old 10 October 2012   #6
check this out:
http://www.deskeng.com/virtual_desktop/?p=804

Old 10 October 2012   #7
Originally Posted by damjan: This is a very grey legal area

Indeed. Ask an Autodesk reseller what they think about it.

Old 10 October 2012   #8
Originally Posted by pokoy: Indeed. Ask an Autodesk reseller what they think about it.

Considering second hand trading takes sales away from resellers, I can't see too many resellers providing a ringing endorsement

Old 10 October 2012   #9
If there is a hardware dongle you can easily buy/sell it. With online activation license it's harder. I don't know how it would work.
Of course Autodesk will say that you are not allowed to, they will probably refuse to cooperate at all.
Anyway, I don't see what mental ray has to do with it. It comes included with max, you can't update it by itself.

Old 10 October 2012   #10
That site doesn't sell physical copies, they are digital downloads. Does that make it less legit?

Old 10 October 2012   #11
That's a scam, they're probably just giving you an illegal version to download.

Old 10 October 2012   #12
Any version using a system specific software license key (non-hardware dongle) can only be activated by Autodesk. Yes people can sell it, but Autodesk doesn't have to authorize it and could deem any version as a pirated copy without a complete history from original purchaser. Most places selling those are selling illegal pirated copies.

So yes you can do it, but you take your own liability in doing so and could result in possible legal situation, should Autodesk choose to investigate it.

-Eric

Old 10 October 2012   #13
The software normally costs $3,675. There is pretty much no chance you will be able to download a "used" version for $30 and have it be legal and legit. It is almost certainly a scam. Be extremely cautious of the links you posted to the Google search.

Also, to answer your other question, I don't think you can upgrade Mental Ray without updating Max itself.

Last edited by Decency : 10 October 2012 at 03:43 PM.

Old 10 October 2012   #14
I believe there's a standalone version of Mental Ray, but that's not quite the same as what gets shipped in Max.

Old 10 October 2012   #15
in fact here in Europe you pay 3900 + vat - which is more like 5800$..
This bad joke from autodesk made me research other options - at the end i gave autodesk the money - but still:
if you find some private seller in europe - its perfectly legal, even if autodesk wont give you support etc - if it comes to court - eu law is on your side.
But - if you buy it from a shady source for 50 pounds - it can be assumed that you should know its a scam, and in this case, its illegal.
(i am not a lawyer, just the gossip i got from google)
one last thing - US is nearly half price, but apart from the autodesk eula, which states basically i cant go to the US with 3ds max on my laptop installed and start it up there without breaking a law, there is a thing called http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_import
all in all - either you find someone willing to sell, or start saving

Thread Closed share thread