CGTalk > Software Specific Forums > Autodesk 3ds max
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
lo
the frequentest!
portfolio
Rotem Shiffman
Tel Aviv, Israel

mmRegions: A small free tool for render region management

Hi Guys

I've seen some requests in the past for a tool which can save/load render regions in a 3dsmax scene. mmRegions is a free maxscript tool which does just this, plus it can also batch render several regions.

Hope you find it useful.

More info and download

Last edited by lo : 10-26-2012 at 03:26 PM.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
AJ
Totoro

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Alex Jefferies
Director
MDI Digital Ltd
Norwich, United Kingdom

I... I think I love you...

Old 10-21-2012, 06:33 AM   #3
spacefrog
Frog of the posts

Josef Wienerroither
Freelance
Vienna, Austria

This is totally awsome !
Just exactly what i needed right now as i planned to write something similar
Priceless that one can render multiple regions into ONE bitmap with this script

Thanks a lot !

BTW: when rendering with mental ray, the beautyfully "Designed by Autodeskô" Quick render setup window below the VFB gets thrashed ( looses all of it's controls )
They reappear after closing and reopening the VFB though...

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Last edited by spacefrog : 10-21-2012 at 06:44 AM.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #4
Swahn
Expert

Daniel Swahn
Sweden

Epic script!

I have however two small feature suggestion I would like to see in this script.

• A function to save out render regions as a file so that render regions can easily be translated to whatever comp tool you might use. I have many times fixed errors in renders by doing a region render job and then comped the cropped part over the original image using the X and Y values of the region render. The procedure might not be that difficult if you work alone with both 3d and comp, but if you are to hand over region renders to another person I think it would be quite handy to just being able to save out a neat list of regions, with names and their respective X and Y values.

• Also if you could move the "Delete Selected Region" button a bit more out of the way so you don't accidentally press it. I noticed that there is no way to undo a deletion, which might be frustrating if your scene relies heavily on crop regions that is to be exported to comp. Loosing a region without remembering the exact position and dimension might lead to having to re-render that particular part. I know this because I did such a job not long ago where a lot of passes needed to be rendered, but each pass relied heavily on the exact locations of the regions.

Other than that I love your script already.

Last edited by Swahn : 10-21-2012 at 10:35 AM.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
lo
the frequentest!
portfolio
Rotem Shiffman
Tel Aviv, Israel

@AJ : The feeling is mutual, buddy. I really dig your works

@Spacefrog: Thanks for the report, it's been fixed (same link).

@Swahn:

Quote:
A function to save out render regions as a file so that render regions can easily be translated to whatever comp tool you might use. I have many times fixed errors in renders by doing a region render job and then comped the cropped part over the original image using the X and Y values of the region render. The procedure might not be that difficult if you work alone with both 3d and comp, but if you are to hand over region renders to another person I think it would be quite handy to just being able to save out a neat list of regions, with names and their respective X and Y values.

That sounds useful. Are you talking about just a human readable file, or is there some region file convention that many compositing softwares can read?

Quote:
Also if you could move the "Delete Selected Region" button a bit more out of the way so you don't accidentally press it. I noticed that there is no way to undo a deletion, which might be frustrating if your scene relies heavily on crop regions that is to be exported to comp. Loosing a region without remembering the exact position and dimension might lead to having to re-render that particular part. I know this because I did such a job not long ago where a lot of passes needed to be rendered, but each pass relied heavily on the exact locations of the regions.

Good stuff, will do!

Old 10-21-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
Swahn
Expert

Daniel Swahn
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by lo
That sounds useful. Are you talking about just a human readable file, or is there some region file convention that many compositing softwares can read?

Well, it would be cool but not necessary. At least not for me. I mainly use Adobe After Effects for compositing and there isn't really a good tool for importing many layers (with given positions) with the help of an XML file for example, at least not what I know of. A custom script could be made for this I'm sure. A generic styled list of regions works fine, but in the case of After Effects the most quick and dirty way is to simply paste keyframe data to a layer. The keyframe data code is not really that complex, it looks like this:

Code:
Adobe After Effects 8.0 Keyframe Data Transform Anchor Point Frame X pixels Y pixels Z pixels 0 0 0 0 Transform Position Frame X pixels Y pixels Z pixels 0 0 0 0 End of Keyframe Data

However you need tab keys present in the code in order for AE to accept it as keyframe data (something that I cannot insert in this forum.) But if the syntax is valid all you have to do is to copy the keyframe data, select the layer and hit paste, and your layer will be moved to the correct place. In case you don't use AE, the anchor point is essentially the pivot point for each layer, and every time you create a new layer the anchor point will be placed at the centre of the layer. Since 3dsmax use the upper left corner as the reference point for render regions, the anchor point in AE needs to be moved to the upper left corner for the position to be correct. Luckily the upper left corner is also [0,0] in AE. But that is basically all one need to know for it to work.

I appreciate you showing interest in such feature.

Edit: here is a screendump of AE keyframe data (as shown in Notepad++)

Last edited by Swahn : 10-21-2012 at 11:50 AM.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #7
lo
the frequentest!
portfolio
Rotem Shiffman
Tel Aviv, Israel

I like the idea of the AE keyframe data, but it is good for one region only, right? So when you export the region data when you have several regions, you will get a text file with multiple keyframe data blocks, and then you'd open this file in notepad and select each block of text and copy-paste it?
Is that what you mean?

Old 10-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #8
Swahn
Expert

Daniel Swahn
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by lo
I like the idea of the AE keyframe data, but it is good for one region only, right? So when you export the region data when you have several regions, you will get a text file with multiple keyframe data blocks, and then you'd open this file in notepad and select each block of text and copy-paste it?
Is that what you mean?

Yes, sort of. Each "keyframe" would become one region so to speak.
It would look something like this I suppose, all in one file.

Code:
Region1 " Adobe After Effects 8.0 Keyframe Data [...] End of Keyframe Data " Region2 " Adobe After Effects 8.0 Keyframe Data [...] End of Keyframe Data "

ect. So you just copypaste the stuff between the " " for the region you need.

Perhaps there is a better structure for this, which also allows the file be read by a custom script in AE which creates place holder layers for you to replace with the corresponding rendered material or something like that. But that is just wishful thinking on my part

I'm sure it's much easier in Nuke and Fusion since it's much more open in terms of what you can copy and paste in your working space.

Last edited by Swahn : 10-21-2012 at 01:29 PM.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:19 AM   #9
DaveWortley
<database error>

portfolio
David Wortley
Technical Director
London, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to DaveWortley
Hey Lo, great tool! I've got a couple of ideas to make it even sweeter.

Grab the viewport image for your little preview area.
The ability to draw regions in your preview area. You could divide it into tiles and simple paint the tiles you want to render.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #10
pokoy
dental floss tycoon

portfolio
Marcin Gruszczyk
Germany

Great script, exactly what I need in many cases.

Another request here:
Ability to tile a region and to send those tiles to network. So let's say I draw a region, then specify how this region will be tiled, for example 3 x 3 tiles (with an overlap that you'd also be able to specify in pixels). The script would then send 9 jobs to backburner.
This is useful when you render very highres images and only want to rerender a region using the whole farm, not only one server.
That would be awesome, right now I'm doing this manually and it's obviously a bit tedious.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #11
DaveWortley
<database error>

portfolio
David Wortley
Technical Director
London, United Kingdom

If it could work with the VRay VFB regions as well that'd be sweet!

http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/200...r_maxscript.htm

Old 10-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #12
lo
the frequentest!
portfolio
Rotem Shiffman
Tel Aviv, Israel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWortley
Grab the viewport image for your little preview area.

Ok, but at what point? Or do you mean as a live update? I mean, the viewport image is constantly changing...

Quote:
The ability to draw regions in your preview area. You could divide it into tiles and simple paint the tiles you want to render.

I thought about this but I think it would not be very efficient as the overhead of starting so many renders would offset the time savings in the reduced region, wouldn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokoy
Ability to tile a region and to send those tiles to network. So let's say I draw a region, then specify how this region will be tiled, for example 3 x 3 tiles (with an overlap that you'd also be able to specify in pixels). The script would then send 9 jobs to backburner.

This sounds possible, I'll look into it.

Quote:
If it could work with the VRay VFB regions as well that'd be sweet!

This also sounds possible. I guess the user would have to pick if they want to capture/affect the Vray VFB region or the standard 3dsmax region?

Old 10-22-2012, 11:23 AM   #13
DaveWortley
<database error>

portfolio
David Wortley
Technical Director
London, United Kingdom

At the very least your preview window should be the same aspect as the render.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lo
This also sounds possible. I guess the user would have to pick if they want to capture/affect the Vray VFB region or the standard 3dsmax region?

if vrayVFBSetRegionEnabled then
--use vray values
else
--use maxvalues

If the Vray Region is enabled it overrides the max Region.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:24 AM   #14
DaveWortley
<database error>

portfolio
David Wortley
Technical Director
London, United Kingdom

Vray has the issue/bug that if you change your render size then it doesn't update the render region. Your tool can work around this of course which would be a big plus!

Old 10-22-2012, 11:31 AM   #15
lo
the frequentest!
portfolio
Rotem Shiffman
Tel Aviv, Israel

Thanks, those are good ideas.

Thread Closed share thread