Max what is next ??

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #16
Actually I doesn't matter what they do, I'm past caring, what I do know is that there are many talented individuals out there , with strong skills in scripting and SDK who can fix, and make much better, user friendly stable versions of whatever AD stick onto their plugin interface.
That's about the only "control" the community has now, Uservoice is a waste of time, the last 3 releases have proved that.
Don't waste your time asking AD for new features, learn to code and do it yourself.
As long as their is an option to turn off or disable the crap AD are clogging Max up with I'm happy.

Old 10 October 2012   #17
Originally Posted by SHRIF: I think ken give this information when he was talking about the new in max 2013

No he didn`t.
It was only said that some core components will get a rewrite/code refactoring.

Old 10 October 2012   #18
code refactoring
I think Ken has moved on to politics

Old 10 October 2012   #19
Originally Posted by ramissin: Actually I doesn't matter what they do, I'm past caring, what I do know is that there are many talented individuals out there , with strong skills in scripting and SDK who can fix, and make much better, user friendly stable versions of whatever AD stick onto their plugin interface.
That's about the only "control" the community has now, Uservoice is a waste of time, the last 3 releases have proved that.
Don't waste your time asking AD for new features, learn to code and do it yourself.
As long as their is an option to turn off or disable the crap AD are clogging Max up with I'm happy.

Haha, good one! And a lot truth in it!

Old 10 October 2012   #20
Originally Posted by MGernot: No he didn`t.
It was only said that some core components will get a rewrite/code refactoring.

I remember that he said (( Now we are unicode )) this was on occassion of relasing max 2013
sorry am very bad on the side of programing and coding
but i think this mean rewriting

Old 10 October 2012   #21
From what I understand (which is very little) there's no chance of a rewrite, it would take too long, AD have been tacking things onto the software for years, and ironing out the bugs they bring.
I guess they make far too much profit from the annual release with many bug fixes/ PU's to even consider a rewrite of the code.
Again, don't get me wrong, I don't hate the software, I use it everyday, it's become an extension of me, but it's like the beautiful woman you married 7 years ago and has put on 20 stone, you have the memories of how she used to look and feel, just a lot more excess to deal with.

Old 10 October 2012   #22
Ye, well what you expect from a stock company, they're obligated to shareholders first. So they forced to come up with half baked versions every year. No time for innovations and bug fixing. A lot of people saw this coming when the news came out that AD bought all major 3d packages. I'm just a pixelpusher(as Ken put it so lovely the other day) so i have to eat it day by day. As soon there is a alternitive to AD products they get bought to...count on it!

Old 10 October 2012   #23
IMHO you must see that a little bit globally and not focused only on max.

AD has 3dsmax, Maya and XSI... From the perspective "how can we make the max. profit": What can AD do?

IMHO it makes no sense to develop on all three programs, while they target the same bay. It makes no sense to implement feature X in one of the products and reinvent the wheel later to implement a similar feature in a other product.
IMHO the max profit will AD have, by merge the development resources together.
AD can't say we kill product X and Y and all users must use product Z. So what can they do?

My idea is that AD can merge the core of all products and put on the top the different GUI/workflows. Users must not switch and developer can focus they resources...

Old 10 October 2012   #24
This might be obvious to some but it just came to me- we are scientists working on a theory!
Scientists observe what happens in nature and then try to make a model that fits and explains that data.
We are observing what Autodesk is doing over some time and trying to come with a theory of why they're doing it Using this theory we can predict future moves.
We should start writing peer reviewed journals on this stuff.

Old 10 October 2012   #25
By reading some of these threads it is obvious most if none at all of you understand how software is developed, the issues involved and difficulties that are encountered. I hear some one say that they should rewrite it, what does that mean exactly? And the core, what is the core? And just adding on stuff, well isn't that how software is developed from the very start once you have the first version complete, or should each version of software be a complete rewrite making it once again a first version?

I'm not supporting the direction Max has taken over the last several years but I can tell you that they have rewritten entire areas of Max like the viewports and have made and are still making major changes to "The Core" which includes rewriting parts of it. As for bugs being in the software, well I would love to be shown a piece of 3D software that doesn't have bugs. I would switch to it today if you can find me one. Problem is that is a pipe dream and a grass is greener on the other side type thing. If you all think that some how Maya isn't full of bugs you should try working with it and it was that way long before ADSK got a hold of it.

Old 10 October 2012   #26
I don't know about you, but I got into the 3d industry to be creative, not study business and software development.
All you say is very true, but the point is AD don't finish the process before they release it.
They deem it perfectly acceptable to release software with project breaking issues, and happily soak up the profits whilst the bug fixes / PU's are compiled and released.
It seems to be a developing trend and one that ensures the most profit for business.
And now we seem to be on a fixed annual release cycle, no matter what the state of the software is in come the release date, but don't worry we can keep developing post sales and patch it up throughout the year.
Not only is Max a tool for game development, it's now being distributed like one.
That's what stinks.

Old 10 October 2012   #27
Originally Posted by ramissin: I don't know about you, but I got into the 3d industry to be creative, not study business and software development.
All you say is very true, but the point is AD don't finish the process before they release it.
They deem it perfectly acceptable to release software with project breaking issues, and happily soak up the profits whilst the bug fixes / PU's are compiled and released.
It seems to be a developing trend and one that ensures the most profit for business.
And now we seem to be on a fixed annual release cycle, no matter what the state of the software is in come the release date, but don't worry we can keep developing post sales and patch it up throughout the year.
Not only is Max a tool for game development, it's now being distributed like one.
That's what stinks.

Forgive me for being blunt but...that is just how it is, end of story.

Of course, if this business model is unacceptable your option is to find something else that suits your fancy. Perhaps Blender? It's free and open source.... just sayin :-)

Cheers,

Joe

Certified Softimage Instructor
Ask about our 3D Scanning Services!

Meshmasters.com

Old 10 October 2012   #28
Originally Posted by 3dtutorial: Forgive me for being blunt but...that is just how it is, end of story.

True, I realized as I was typing it, here ended my first lesson in threads about Max development...pointless....unsubscribed.

Of course, if this business model is unacceptable your option is to find something else that suits your fancy. Perhaps Blender? It's free and open source.... just sayin :-)

I didn't say it was unacceptable I said it stunk , every time you air your views about Max someone always mentions Blender...weird.

Old 10 October 2012   #29
Originally Posted by PEN: By reading some of these threads it is obvious most if none at all of you understand how software is developed, the issues involved and difficulties that are encountered. I hear some one say that they should rewrite it, what does that mean exactly? And the core, what is the core? And just adding on stuff, well isn't that how software is developed from the very start once you have the first version complete, or should each version of software be a complete rewrite making it once again a first version?

I'm not supporting the direction Max has taken over the last several years but I can tell you that they have rewritten entire areas of Max like the viewports and have made and are still making major changes to "The Core" which includes rewriting parts of it. As for bugs being in the software, well I would love to be shown a piece of 3D software that doesn't have bugs. I would switch to it today if you can find me one. Problem is that is a pipe dream and a grass is greener on the other side type thing. If you all think that some how Maya isn't full of bugs you should try working with it and it was that way long before ADSK got a hold of it.

Thank you PEN, good gravy people. Let this thread die until March when 2014 comes out and we start this all over again.

Old 03 March 2013   #30
massFX improvements

hoepfully serious improvements to the new MassFX engine. seemed pretty dumb-ass to deprecate reactor before a replacement was properly up-and-running, imo (unless i've totallly got the wrong end of the stick in which case i'm obviously the dumb-ass)

plus - as a personal wish - a shed load of prebuilt & prerigged figures (both clothed & unclothed) has been something max could've done with for ages

Thread Closed share thread