Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 10-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
Gamble
Veteran
gamble gamble

3ds Max equivelent tool to Cinema 4D MoGraph

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if 3ds Max has something equivelent to Cinema 4d MoGraph..??

any plugins or native tools?

Old 10-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
DannyBoy3
Frequenter
portfolio
Daniel Coleman
Sydney, Australia

Firstly, why post this on max forum? I don't think any max users r interested in cinema4d..why would they know what Mograph is? I don't know what Mograph is, and not really interested in making efforts to find out, why don't you just state what it is and what it does. It sounds like max has an equivalent tho, but let's find out.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
ebee
Puzzled

portfolio
Teemu Gabriel Valkama
TD / 3D Artist
Brink Helsinki Oy
Finland

I'm not entirely sure what mograph does, but maybe you should check out orbaz's box#3:
http://www.orbaz.com/products/particleflow/box3/

and this thread of mine about automatic keyframe offsetting:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=98&t=1065670

Old 10-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
luisRiera
Expert
portfolio
luis Riera
Graphics designer
America Television
Lima, Peru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBoy3
Firstly, why post this on max forum? I don't think any max users r interested in cinema4d..why would they know what Mograph is? I don't know what Mograph is, and not really interested in making efforts to find out, why don't you just state what it is and what it does. It sounds like max has an equivalent tho, but let's find out.

What a useless response. I suppose the same question can be applied if he posted that on Cinema4d forums, who most likely will know less of 3ds max. Cinema 4d is a really great tool for motion graphic artists. You can check it with no effort at all here http://www.maxon.net/products/cinem...n-graphics.html

3ds max doesnt have an equivalent like MoGraph as far as I know, but you can use some scripts to imitate some of the mograph tools, just check this page
http://rauquenrol.over-blog.com/pag...ts-3995278.html

Also, If you have 3dsmax/Softimage bundle, Soft has a plugin being developed called Motion Tools
http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/mtools/

Old 10-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
DannyBoy3
Frequenter
portfolio
Daniel Coleman
Sydney, Australia

yes luis a useless response, but im in that sort of mood. Well the mograph looks a lot like the array tool combined with the scatter tool...Pflow or very simple max scripts can be written to do everything the mograph tool does.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
DannyBoy3
Frequenter
portfolio
Daniel Coleman
Sydney, Australia

Oh yes - there's also the spacing tool, which places objects along a spline and which provides lots of options. I had a look at the maxon site promotion of the MoGraph feature and I couldn't help but chuckle...wow..a tool that clones !!! and wait for it...clones along any path or surface! Gee mum! hahah max has had these features since the dos version. But it's funny how you can glam up something thats fundamentally ordinary with fancy graphics and a nice blurb....hahahah

Old 10-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
PsychoSilence
3Delicious

portfolio
Anselm von Seherr - Thoß
VFX Technical Director
Incendii VFX
New Orleans, USA

Send a message via ICQ to PsychoSilence
Keep it civil please! Every tool has it's advantages. Companies like Axisponza and Sehsucht create amazing art and commercials with c4d. A very complete package (given the fact that the toolboxes combined as well as TP are an additional 1000-1300 dollars each, not to mention vray which you need to buy separate as well for another grand almost. c4d has all that build in to some extend, the renderer is excelent). And lastly as ALWAYS it is not the wand, it's the wizard that makes the magic.

Hi Gamble, there is a few tools that can do similar things. First the particle extensions like the toolboxes by Orbaz.com and thinking particles from cebas.com

there are quite a few scripted tools as well:
https://vimeo.com/49518766
https://vimeo.com/36034895

scriptspot.com is rich in all sorts of free scripts and always worth checking out for what's around already.

Last edited by PsychoSilence : 10-09-2012 at 02:55 AM.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:37 AM   #8
vlad
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBoy3
Oh yes - there's also the spacing tool, which places objects along a spline and which provides lots of options. I had a look at the maxon site promotion of the MoGraph feature and I couldn't help but chuckle...wow..a tool that clones !!! and wait for it...clones along any path or surface! Gee mum! hahah max has had these features since the dos version. But it's funny how you can glam up something thats fundamentally ordinary with fancy graphics and a nice blurb....hahahah

Do we actually need that infantile attitude here? The forum has been exempt from this fanboy crap for quite a while and I dont miss it at all, as I'm sure most everyone else. Not to mention the fact that CD4 actually seems to do some things much better than Max, especially motion graphics stuff.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:57 AM   #9
PsychoSilence
3Delicious

portfolio
Anselm von Seherr - Thoß
VFX Technical Director
Incendii VFX
New Orleans, USA

Send a message via ICQ to PsychoSilence
i totally agree! c4d definitely has it's earned place. And hating just means you didn't explore your horizon...i hope this "what tool"-discussion is over

Old 10-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #10
PiXeL_MoNKeY
Expert

Eric Craft
Dallas, USA

Maxon has done some very nice things with their products. I have done some research into what MoGraph is (by downloading the demo to get access to help files, not something they are good at). In reality it appears to be a specialized tool based around particle and hierarchical workflows.

So is it possible to create MoGraph like tools in 3ds max? Yes. Does a MoGraph clone exist for 3ds max? No. Do portions of the toolset ship with 3ds max? Yes, in Particle Flow and the Subscription addition. Are other portions of the tools available from 3rd parties? Yes, as Anselm posted.

So the question becomes, exactly which tools of MoGraph are you looking for?
-Eric

Old 10-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #11
JohnnyRandom
Configurator

portfolio
John Rand
still wandering the binary void
salt lake city, USA

...Bonus you can actually get Vray for C4d too, well 1.6 core anyway

Yes most of those tool are in/or available in max. They just don't happen to be organized in the same way they are in C4D, hmm, what a novel idea

Old 10-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #12
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread