animated texture question

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2012
animated texture question

Hi Gang,

I am doing an animation of some laser beams cutting out a machined part from an aluminum block (not a real world scenario, its just do something cool). My question is, how would I create the burn marks from the laser as it travels across the surface ( burned edges of the cutting). I'm trying to wrap my head around something like an animated texture reveal or mask reveal but I have no idea how this can be acheived as the path of the laser has a few 90 deg turns. 1 option (would be painstaking) would be to use material ID switcher, but this means I would need a thousand painted frames of a burned line to switch through as the laser moves. Lastly, I could just use morpher to replicate a cut mark as the laser moves - but it wouldn't have the burned edges taking away from the realism.

Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance to anyone who has an idea!
-Dan

10 October 2012
You could have a poly decal strip sitting where your burn is with your burnt texture which is revealed by a ramp shader which you animate to reveal it.

10 October 2012
Thanks Matt,

That could work - what I'm unsure of is the path of the laser and using the gradient to reveal the burn texture - I guess I would not only animate the gradient ramp, but also the rotation of the gradient to follow the 90 deg turns of the laser???

This is a quick mock up of it:

10 October 2012
make your poly completely straight as a long strip. UV it like that with a planar map. Then modify its shape to fit the path you want to cut then you just animate the ramp from o to 1 and it will look like its animating along the length of your modelled decal.

10 October 2012
Yes! Now I understand you. I'm going to shut up now and do another test. Stay tuned!

10 October 2012
Okay, here is the test. So I forgot to turn off shadow casting on the poly strip - will do, I guess I can put it a little closer to the surface of the block as well. Now about the texture itself, since I'm using a gradient ramp to manipulate the opacity of the texture - how can I make a texture that is just the burnt line (so I don't have white background in the map, I would normally use an opacity map to remove the white). I never fully understood the use of Alphas and if they could control the opacity, but how? Can't you save a map with transparent background out of Photoshop to use within Max?

In other words - How do I remove the white part of the map in Max when I've already used a gradient ramp in the opacity slot to control the reveal of the map?

10 October 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread