Max 2013 annoyances

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
Max 2013 annoyances

Hello,

just started testing Max 2013 and I've found some annoyances that maybe someone here could help me solve:

- Exiting a subselection mode (vertex, edge, face,...) in EditPoly (default key '6') sometimes doesn't work. After some testing I realize that when I press down the key it exits the mode and when I release the key it returns again to the previous selection mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb
Disable Shortcut Override toggle

- I think it has been like this for some time now, but exiting a sub-selection mode is inconsistent: To exit Edit-poly the key is '6'. Particle view key is also '6' (I may have hundreds of scenes with a 'Particle View' helper because of this), while to exit any other modifier (except Edit Mesh) I have to press the number key corresponding to the selection level (1, 2, 3,...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb
Disable Shortcut Override toggle

- When I make an horizontal selection with the "Rectangular Selection Region" tool it doesn't select anything if the selection doesn't have some height, thus making the selection a bit unreliable.

- I'm unable to find where is the "Zoom About Mouse Point" and now I'm forced to do two steps to zoom a specific point (drag the view to where I'm willing to zoom, and then zooming) when I could do it with just one before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjanssen
It was moved to Customize -> Customize User Interface -> Mouse

- I'm unable to place a Toolbar on top of the new "Viewport Layout Tabs" as it always occupies the full interface height (with a lot of empty space).

Regards

Last edited by Codi : 10 October 2012 at 12:34 PM.

Old 10 October 2012   #2
The age old edit-poly modifier hotkeys problem is inexcusable at this stage and because of it I rarely, if ever, use edit-poly mod.

it's up to 360 votes and counting at the Max user feedback page and is surely a shoe-in for an overhaul.....

Old 10 October 2012   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codi
- I'm unable to find where is the "Zoom About Mouse Point" and now I'm forced to do two steps to zoom a specific point (drag the view to where I'm willing to zoom, and then zooming) when I could do it with just one before.
It was moved to Customize -> Customize User Interface -> Mouse

Old 10 October 2012   #4
There it is, thanks!

Old 10 October 2012   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codi
Hello,

just started testing Max 2013 and I've found some annoyances that maybe someone here could help me solve:

- Exiting a subselection mode (vertex, edge, face,...) in EditPoly (default key '6') sometimes doesn't work. After some testing I realize that when I press down the key it exits the mode and when I release the key it returns again to the previous selection mode.

- I think it has been like this for some time now, but exiting a sub-selection mode is inconsistent: To exit Edit-poly the key is '6'. Particle view key is also '6' (I may have hundreds of scenes with a 'Particle View' helper because of this), while to exit any other modifier (except Edit Mesh) I have to press the number key corresponding to the selection level (1, 2, 3,...)

- When I make an horizontal selection with the "Rectangular Selection Region" tool it doesn't select anything if the selection doesn't have some height, thus making the selection a bit unreliable.

- I'm unable to place a Toolbar on top of the new "Viewport Layout Tabs" as it always occupies the full interface height (with a lot of empty space).

Regards

All of that first stuff is to do with the hated Keyboard Shortcut Override button defaulting to ON. If you turn it off, then hotkeys are global and ALWAYS work, rather than sometimes, depending on context. If that button is off (it looks like a little Shift key on the main toolbar next to the snaps) then pressing the same 1-5 key will go in and come out of sub object mode and you never really need to press 6 for anything.

Re: the viewport tabs toolbar. Nope, it's full height whether you have one layout or 20. Can't be docked anywhere else like horizontally or on the right, can't be resized. All the things you'd expect from a new piece of interface. I think this because of restrictions in the type of interface it needs to use though. It isn't a toolbar as such. You can always turn it off if you don't use it though. I don't, I only ever use one maximised view.

Old 10 October 2012   #6
Completely forgot about the "Shortcut Override" toggle. Thanks!

Old 10 October 2012   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread