TurboSmooth Pro released

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2012
Thanks for the info Neil, that actually sheds some light on the situation. It makes sense that if you don't add extra holding edges to an object, you would expect it to be less smooth in those areas. It just really never occurred to me before I used this plugin. I guess we will see how this gets handled in the future. Until then, I might have to make an investment in some more RAM.

10 October 2012
Or, add a few support edges. That may sound counter intuitive, since you want to use creases to avoid adding support edges. But these would be a different type of support edges. Like, as I mentioned in another thread, if you have a long thin box, select the 4 long edges and loop them through the center, so your long thin faces are now half as long. That can instantly add a lot more visual resolution to your corners, and while you DID increase the edge count on your lowres cage, you didn't increase it nearly as much as if you added support edges alongside all of your original edges.

- Neil

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by soulburn3d: at least until some of the max renderers get support, and calculate the necessary subdivision at rendertime.

- Neil

VRay has support for render-time subdivision, but it seems slightly odd the way to do it, Add a VrayDisplacementMod, switch to subdivision mode and make the height 0 and put no map in it. would be nice if it supported creases properly, will have to check with Vlado on this....

10 October 2012
That's true Dave, I believe they use that in a tutorial with Ptex so you can subdivide without messing up the polygon count on the mesh. I can give that a try tonight and see if it works.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by DaveWortley: VRay has support for render-time subdivision, but it seems slightly odd the way to do it, Add a VrayDisplacementMod, switch to subdivision mode and make the height 0 and put no map in it. would be nice if it supported creases properly, will have to check with Vlado on this....

If I remember right Vlado stated that they would be open to supporting OpenSubdiv. So my guess is it's just a matter of the users demanding it from him so he'll devote the resources to it.

- Neil

10 October 2012
Hopefully I'm doing this right, but it seems to work for me.

TurboSmoothPro, with crease weights, and a VrayDisplaceMod on top set to subdivision.

Here is a render without the VrayDisplaceMod.

And with it on...

The Vray info window also indicates that my original mesh is 3072 , new mesh is 47,104. This number changes depending on how close to the mesh I am, and how much of it I can see. So we have render-time subdivision happening in Vray, and it seems to support TurboSmoothPro just fine. I was also able to set the edge length very low, and render about 3 million polys with no noticeable increase in RAM usage.

10 October 2012
Awesome plugin Im probably going to buy it, also allready had the quad chamfer which works like a charm.

I would like to have a login on the website so I can download the latest versions, because I just switched to max 2013 and my emailed download links have expired. this system is a bit flawed.

my only problem maybe with not buying it is that autodesk is going to buy it and include it in max 2014 and then I have to charge again for it trough subscription while not adding anything new...

allready happened to me a bit to many: CAT, plfow toolbox 2, polyboost

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by Decency: Hopefully I'm doing this right, but it seems to work for me.

I'm not completely sure, but I don't think its quite doing the right thing.

What should happen is you take your original mesh, apply the edge creases, then at rendertime it does the subdivision. What you've done is applied the edge creases, subdivided it a few times, then the vray disp modifier is subdividing it some more. I would guess that if you didn't pre-subdivide it with turbosmoothpro, and just applied the vray modifier, you wouldn't get creased edges.

So while this technique can be useful in adding a little more smoothness, it still has to pre-subdivide, which hands a lot of extra polygons to the renderer, far more than needed if all of the subdividing happens at rendertime. My hope is that vray and other renderers would allow for all the subdiving to happen at rendertime.

- Neil

10 October 2012
I'm trying to figure out what the difference between the quad chamfer modifier and turbosmooth pro is... is it just the absence of subdivision in quad chamfer? Or are there extra bits in turbosmooth pro I haven't noticed?

10 October 2012
Thumbs up Very nice!

very very nice work!! should be standard!!

11 November 2012
Marius, we just discovered that your plugin will prevent some modifiers from working if applied on top of TurboSmoothPro.

Not sure which ones exactly but from quick tests Bend, Noise and FFD won't work at all. They will work if they're placed under TSP in the stack but it should definitely support any modifiers on top.

Another strange thing with repro steps:

- create a box
- apply TSP
- apply a Bend modifier
- now move the Bend modifier from top of the stack below the TSP modifier
- change bend angle

-> mesh disappears. Also, shading on other objects will crap out. I assume the mesh is moved to some far far position so the z-sorting in the viewport goes crazy...

You can move it back in the stack and the mesh will reappear. Applying the bend first and then applying TSP allows to move the modifiers in the stack without issues. Still, there's clearly a problem with the way TSP passes the data in the stack so modifiers above won't work correctly.

It happens here on two machines, both have max 2012 64b installed, one has PU 10 and the other PU 12.

Do others see a similar problem or could even give it a try to see if they see the same?

11 November 2012
Pokoy, apply a Edit Mesh or Edit Poly or Poly Select modifier after TurboSmooth Pro and then apply the bend and it will work. I recommend applying the Edit Mesh as it will not modify the mesh when in isoline mode.

This issue appears to happen only with deforming modifiers like bend and twist. I will fix it in the next update.

Last edited by obliviboy : 11 November 2012 at 05:38 PM.

11 November 2012
About the shading issues. Uncheck "Explicit Normals" if you want to deform the object after it has been subdivided and the shading will look ok again. "Explicit Normals" it's an optimization that will make the mesh calculate and redraw faster, but should not be used when you want to deform the mesh after subdivision. The same thing happens with the normal Turbosmooth modifier.

11 November 2012
Thanks for the quick response. We can live with it right now by just applying the deforming mod below TSP in the stack. Still, having it fixed is most welcome so no workaround is needed.

The shading issue is not on the object with the TSP, it's happening with other objects in the scene. That's what led me to the conclusion that it's doing some crazy transforms so the whole viewport display is affected somehow. For example, it'll draw the object in the top view but not in the left view anymore and/or other objects will display with black artifacts in shaded mode.

Thanks again.

11 November 2012
Ok I updated it to version 1.02 and fixed the issue with the bend modifier. You should have received the email with the update.

I cannot reproduce the issue with other objects shading being affected. It would be great if you could send me a scene in which the issue occurs.

Thread Closed share thread