CGTalk > Software Specific Forums > Autodesk 3ds max
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 09-26-2012, 06:02 AM   #1
hairston630
portfolio
Hairston
Jacksonville, USA

Issue with vray hdri render (models show blue tint)

Hi all,

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why I cannot get rid of this blue tint on my vehicle renders. I'm using the latest version of vray, as well as 3ds max 2012. Everything is set and the hdri is rendering as it should outside of the blue tint on my models. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks!

Old 09-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
metamesh
Expert

portfolio
Alex Huguet
lead Modeller, ILM
Vancouver, Canada

are you using an vray camera? if so, check the white balance colour and set it to pure white

Old 09-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
hairston630
portfolio
Hairston
Jacksonville, USA

Hi metamesh,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have that set to white in my settings but it still shows up as blue. Here is an example of the blue tint. Hopefully this will help additionally.

And yes, I have changed the material to an actual material, however, that blue tint is still present.

Also, I have been following this tutorial and im showing the same results up to step 19. http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/au...s-max-and-vray/

This guy has skipped many steps and doesnt go into how to fix the blue tint, however, he claims that moving the hdri around fixed it. That is definitely not the case as I have tried that.

Thanks!

Last edited by hairston630 : 09-26-2012 at 12:10 PM.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
metamesh
Expert

portfolio
Alex Huguet
lead Modeller, ILM
Vancouver, Canada

is it possible that you have ur hdri as screen on the environment mapping options?

Old 09-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
PiXeL_MoNKeY
Expert

Eric Craft
Dallas, USA

As Alex said you Background is set to screen (can tell by the ground lines being reflected in the wheels, and refraction in the glass). If you want to go this route you need to override the GI and Reflection/refraction controls in the Vray render options.

FYI, I would not recommend that tutorial as it is appears to have more wrong than right in how you should use the current vray renderer to get good results.

To fix the white point you need to set the white point of the camera to a value that is closest to what you want white. In your case it will probably be a temperature value between 5000 and 6500 (blue color), or one of the correspond presets (Daylight, D50, D65, etc).

-Eric

Old 09-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
hairston630
portfolio
Hairston
Jacksonville, USA

Thank you both for the prompt responses. I prefer to go the most logical route. Is there a better tutorial that would supplement vehicle rendering? Something thats a bit more accurate? Also, what should I have the HDRI set to in the environment tab? If its set to screen now, what should I change it to?

Thank you again!

Old 09-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #7
PiXeL_MoNKeY
Expert

Eric Craft
Dallas, USA

It really depends on the map. In most cases it should be set to spherical.

There is not a car tutorial. There are various notes and tutorials on rendering with Vray. Examples are:
Demystifying V-ray DMC Sampler
Color Mapping and Gamma

You should learn how best to use the renderer and then use that knowledge to get the results you want for specific usages.

-Eric

Old 09-26-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
hairston630
portfolio
Hairston
Jacksonville, USA

Excellent. Thank you so much. Ill apply all of this tonight when I get home from work. I have rep'd you all for your assistance. Greatly appreciated.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:45 PM   #9
hairston630
portfolio
Hairston
Jacksonville, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamesh
is it possible that you have ur hdri as screen on the environment mapping options?

Ok, is this located in vray: environment tab or somewhere else? I cant see where you would change from screen to normal.

Thank you again.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #10
PiXeL_MoNKeY
Expert

Eric Craft
Dallas, USA

It is part of the bitmap controls.

-Eric

Old 09-27-2012, 12:05 AM   #11
hairston630
portfolio
Hairston
Jacksonville, USA

Ok, I changed environment coordinates to spherical environment and its producing the same blue tinted model render. Mind is officially blown.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:49 AM   #12
nmcelmury
Im here a lot

portfolio
Nicholas McElmury
Generalist
Magic Pictures
Los Angeles, USA

I'm not a VRay user, but if you happen to have a skylight in your scene, check to make sure the color is set to white, or you have your HDRI map plugged into it. That's probably not the problem, but it might be worth taking a look at.

If I'm not mistaken, skylight's get set to a faint blue by default.

www.nickmcelmury.com

"The best things in life are either illegal, fattening, or take too long to render."

Old 09-27-2012, 01:04 AM   #13
hairston630
portfolio
Hairston
Jacksonville, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcelmury
I'm not a VRay user, but if you happen to have a skylight in your scene, check to make sure the color is set to white, or you have your HDRI map plugged into it. That's probably not the problem, but it might be worth taking a look at.

If I'm not mistaken, skylight's get set to a faint blue by default.

Thank you but I already set that to white to no avail. I truly am stumped. I may just have to start the project all over from scratch with another tutorial.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:17 AM   #14
PiXeL_MoNKeY
Expert

Eric Craft
Dallas, USA

Change your White point to a bluish color or temperature on the camera, not white. If the HDR is generating a bluish color you need to set your white point to a similar color.

Please post a screen shot of your dome light and camera settings.

-Eric

Old 09-27-2012, 05:10 AM   #15
hairston630
portfolio
Hairston
Jacksonville, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiXeL_MoNKeY
Change your White point to a bluish color or temperature on the camera, not white. If the HDR is generating a bluish color you need to set your white point to a similar color.

Please post a screen shot of your dome light and camera settings.

-Eric

Here you go and thank you. I also used the vray physical camera and changed those settings as you requested and its still doing the same thing.

Thread Closed share thread