VFB+ v2.1 Released

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
VFB+ v2.1 Released

Based extensively on user feedback from v2.0, I am proud to release the first update to VFB+2!

A few nifty features have been added, such as being able to capture images from Render To Texture, or automatically saving the image from VFB+, allowing you for example, to render sequences locally and have VFB+ color correction or stamping already applied.

The core image processing algorithms have also been greatly optimized, resolving a problem in which a very large render could cause the UI to stutter.

A lot of options have been added to the preferences and more hotkeys have been added, giving each user the fine-grained control needed to suit VFB+ to the intricate inner-workings of their specific pipeline.

Check out the Change Log for a complete list.

A big thanks to all the users who have already made VFB+ a part of their workflow!

Last edited by lo : 09 September 2012 at 04:04 PM.

Old 09 September 2012   #2
Cool stuff, thx! As for workflow improments this is in the same league as Outliner, almost can't work without it anymore So give it a try if you haven't already!

Again, thx for developing this!

Old 09 September 2012   #3
Can you explain how it works with Render To Texture? One of the problems with the existing RTT workflow is that the image you see in the frame buffer isn't what gets saved. There's no way to cycle through the rendered elements in the VFB. Does your tool do that?

And does it only do it after it's finished rendering? Because that would limit its use a bit. Since you can't see whether it's rendering correctly while it does it with the VFB it means a potentially lengthy render can be wasted as you can't see it being wrong and stop it early.

Old 09 September 2012   #4
@JonadB: Thanks for your support

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb
Can you explain how it works with Render To Texture? One of the problems with the existing RTT workflow is that the image you see in the frame buffer isn't what gets saved. There's no way to cycle through the rendered elements in the VFB. Does your tool do that?

And does it only do it after it's finished rendering? Because that would limit its use a bit. Since you can't see whether it's rendering correctly while it does it with the VFB it means a potentially lengthy render can be wasted as you can't see it being wrong and stop it early.

Unfortunately both of the points you made are not solved by VFB+. They are inherent to how RTT operates and as of yet, I have not found a way to expose the relevant data for implementing those features, though I will continue to try.

Old 09 September 2012   #5
Ok, thanks for confirming that it probably won't help.

Old 09 September 2012   #6
I hope to make progress in this area in a future update.

Old 09 September 2012   #7
When the render is saved, ared the color adjustments also saved?

Old 09 September 2012   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lo
I have not found a way to expose the relevant data for implementing those features, though I will continue to try.

If you email me specific details I will see if I can get you the info you need.
M&E Division Beta Administrator
Autodesk, Inc

Old 09 September 2012   #9
Very impressive work. Thanks a lot!
I will try to convince the team here.

Old 09 September 2012   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lo
I hope to make progress in this area in a future update.

If you can, that would be very useful. Thanks. And if Kelly can help that would also be great.

Although I don't know why it's never been addressed in max directly. You shouldn't really have to work around it.

Old 09 September 2012   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRiTTeR
When the render is saved, ared the color adjustments also saved?

Either way is possible, there are user options to control exactly what happens.

@Kelly: Thanks, that's very cool of you! I'll be contacting you shortly.

@Akisey: Thanks a lot

Old 12 December 2012   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb

The new release of VFB+ (v2.2) solves both these issues (depending on renderer support).

Old 12 December 2012   #13
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread