rendering layers with shadows

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
rendering layers with shadows

i am rendering a movie that is taking forever.

i have a scene with a vent that is leaking air. so i have a vent on one layer, and several particle objects that represent air. currently i am rendering each image of the animation which is taking forever. I would like to render just the vent once, then render the other 750 frames with the particles seperatly. That would cut my time by 90%.
The problem is that I don't know how to render only the particles and their shadows. Also, some of the particles flow from the PF Source a bit then are hidden by a wall. When I go to just render the particles it renders them all, even the ones that are supposed to be hidden.

So, how do I render a layer, shadows and all, and render objects being obscured, without having to render every layer and object in the scene?

Thanks,
Van

09 September 2012
Look into object properties and the matte shadow material. You should be able to render a still image of the vent with the particles turned off. The apply matte/shadow or matte/shadow reflection if your using mental ray to all the objects but the particles. This will give you your shadows as well as cut out some of the particles.

Last edited by viro : 09 September 2012 at 02:31 PM.

09 September 2012
I would reccomend using state sets to manage these render passes if you are using a modern version of 3DS Max, if you are using an older version, i would suggest searching scriptspot for LPM, that is a wonderfull tool

09 September 2012
I would stay far away from state sets. Nothing but trouble and corrupted scenes with them. Every time it looks like they have fixed state sets I get excited and try them but I end up just being disappointed and frustrated because I loose my work. The only way I found to use them is to save a separate scene to use the state sets in keeping in mind you will have to back to the version before eventually. For something this simple I would just use plain old state sets. Or better yet you could try my render passes script. You can download it from my site for free. I haven't tried LPM but it does look pretty sweet.

09 September 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread