CGTalk > Software > Autodesk 3ds max
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 09-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
Mr Whippy
Frequenter
Graphics and stuff

Renderer filtering issue

I'm getting a halo when compositing my EXR footage (or any footage for that matter) with my video footage.

I can get around that by rendering a mask pass with the Max scanline "Plate Match" anti-aliasing filter which is almost totally perfect.

But it's just annoying, especially if I want to use motion blur from within something like Mental Ray rather than doing it in post.

Does anyone know the 'right' setting to get Mental Ray to draw alpha that is comparable to the "Plate Match" Max AA filter?

Thanks for any advice

Dave

Last edited by Mr Whippy : 09-19-2012 at 12:15 PM.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
Mr Whippy
Frequenter
Graphics and stuff

Oh, I think this makes sense now.

I've just put a huge plane in the background of my scene with the MR matte/shadow/reflect material on it and the MR filtering now looks much better for compositing use.

Is that all there is to it?

Any elegant ways to avoid having to make that geometry? Ie, a toggle box somewhere that just runs basic matte AA filtering?

Is motion blur gonna break if I have a plane on the camera back plane face with the MR msr material that moves around with the camera?

Cheers

Dave

Old 09-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
CHRiTTeR
On the run!

Chris
Graphic designer extraordinaire
Belgium

Im not sure what you mean... Do you mean you are getting a fine border around your alpha channel? If so, try using premultiplied alpha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0kPLEMF4xk

Old 09-19-2012, 04:10 PM   #4
Mr Whippy
Frequenter
Graphics and stuff

If I use EXR (or any HDR/LDR format) I get the outline with both pre-calc and post-calc alpha.

It just seems the filtering will only work in MR with the matte matterial in the background, but that costs rendering speed, so right now I'm just running a flat plane behind the object linked to my camera.

Will do some more testing to assure it's running ok. Not sure if the moving back plane will cause motion blur problems but I guess I'll find out soon

edit:

OK, think it's ok now. I just need to turn motion blur to "by object" in the render dialog, then enable it only for the required bits in the object properties dialog.

If I keep the moving back plane without motion blur it renders much quicker now.

All good!

Last edited by Mr Whippy : 09-19-2012 at 04:37 PM.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
scrimski
antieverything
portfolio
J. Schreyer
head->wall
ARRI Berlin
Berlin, Germany

Can you post a picture of your problem?

Old 09-19-2012, 04:46 PM   #6
Mr Whippy
Frequenter
Graphics and stuff

OK.

Basically I want to render with AA filtering to background that doesn't leave a halo.

Mental Ray only has one way to achieve that it seems (ie, no toggle like scanline render has), and that is via the MR material matte/shadow/reflection, even though I only need the matte bit, and not for anything other than activating the appropriate filter for edge > background AA filtering that doesn't cause a halo.

Sooo, I put a plane in my scene and apply the appropriate material but a big plane hits render speed across the empty areas of the render (not so bad but it's just not required)

So now I've put a small plane behind the subject and just track it behind it through the camera move.

However you just need to make sure you switch off global motion blur and enable it only for your subject.

So it's working nicely now.

Bit of a hassle vs Max scanline where you just select R2/matte plate from a drop-down menu but I've got there in the end

Just testing the process for now to make sure it works as intended as I did a project 4 months ago and was doing my masks in scanline but obviously this is a better way it's just a hassle to set up initially
At least I can leave MR to do the lovely motion blur it does now!

Thanks for the help so far!

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg airyplane1.JPG (10.8 KB, 12 views)

Old 09-19-2012, 04:46 PM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread