Maxscript Made Easy: What would you like to learn?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
Maxscript Made Easy: What would you like to learn?

http://davewortley.wordpress.com/

So I've had my blog up and running for a few months now, got a bit behind with updating lately as been very busy with other things, but I want to add more content and rather than just rambling on about a subject matter I'd rather actually solve some problems and show solutions.

So I'm inviting suggestions and questions.... It could be something along the lines of, "I know how to do this, but how could I make it better" or "I want to be able to read text from a file" or "I've got a great idea for a script...." or "It's always annoyed me there isn't a button in 3dsmax to do....."

In CgTalk style.... Discuss...

Old 09 September 2012   #2
yeah!

nice!
something I am personally interested is in maxscript for character rigging / pipeline tools...for example, making a modular rigging system by scripting.I know i know, a huge task, but you could split that one task in some others, for example a script that given a chain of bones, would generate the whole IK-FK system, that's the FK chain, the ik chain, a 3rd chain probably that blends between the ik/fk, a custom attribute with the blend slider and a couple of buttons, to match ik to fk and fk to ik, you could go as deep as you want, being able to specify number of sections in the 3rd chain so you can skin the limb properly etc etc...i mean i know is a huge task but maybe a simplified version of that...

cheers!

Old 09 September 2012   #3
Originally Posted by metamesh: nice!
something I am personally interested is in maxscript for character rigging / pipeline tools...for example, making a modular rigging system by scripting.I know i know, a huge task, but you could split that one task in some others, for example a script that given a chain of bones, would generate the whole IK-FK system, that's the FK chain, the ik chain, a 3rd chain probably that blends between the ik/fk, a custom attribute with the blend slider and a couple of buttons, to match ik to fk and fk to ik, you could go as deep as you want, being able to specify number of sections in the 3rd chain so you can skin the limb properly etc etc...i mean i know is a huge task but maybe a simplified version of that...

cheers!

That interests me too!

Old 09 September 2012   #4
You could take me gently through Structs. What they are, how to use them and what the advantages are. With a few examples perhaps of how they make life easier.

Old 09 September 2012   #5
+ 1 for Struct. Especially how to use struc for UI. Thanks.

Old 09 September 2012   #6
Request:

A tool for assigning and viewport previewing object ID's.

We use objectd ID's and vray MultiMatteID-render element for masking objects in the compositing stage. One element holds three different ID's (for red, green and blue), and there are usually 1-5 of these elements per rendering.

In complex scenes these ID's never seem to go right with the first renderings.

Old 09 September 2012   #7
Originally Posted by ebee: Request:

... and viewport previewing object ID's.

We use objectd ID's and vray MultiMatteID-render element for masking objects in the compositing stage. One element holds three different ID's (for red, green and blue), and there are usually 1-5 of these elements per rendering.

In complex scenes these ID's never seem to go right with the first renderings.

OT - but like the one in the pic attached ?

This was an coding experiment i did back in july (native plugin , non-maxscript though ):
I simply extented the existing xView plugin code ( which comes in the SDK samples) to support Material ID display. It's a bit slow with dense meshes, because one has to draw all the recolored geo a second time , but was a promising start. Further development is on hold though currently - so sorry for the tease
I think this cannot be done via the maxscript access of xView, in that case you would have to do everything with MXS, which might be too slow for that ....

Here's a preview video

http://youtu.be/C3q4nFEFyrY

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Last edited by spacefrog : 09 September 2012 at 07:54 AM.

Old 09 September 2012   #8
nice...
another awesome tool could be the a rip off the transfer attributes from maya, it allows you to transfer either the mesh shape, or the uv's from 1 object to another, based on a sampling space that you set ( global space, local space, uv space...) the cool thing is that the meshes don't need to have the same topology at all, it works wonders and has saved my ass in different proejcts many times.
There's a script in the soulburn script that kind of does that, it lets you transfer uv's by global space on two identical meshes, but again the one in maya is amazing, and again you can transfer both the Uv's or the position of the vertices...

Old 09 September 2012   #9
Originally Posted by spacefrog: OT - but like the one in the pic attached ?

spacefrog: yeah something like that, but using object ID's, not material ID's.

Old 09 September 2012   #10
Originally Posted by ebee: spacefrog: yeah something like that, but using object ID's, not material ID's.

Ahh - i missread your post, but even better, would mean performance problems would be no problem...

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Old 09 September 2012   #11
Visual Maxscript

These are all great ideas. I can't wait. I would also like to make a request. Although easy for some of you who know how to script immense code. But for a noob like me, I would like to know how to use the visual max script user Interface to bling my code. Some examples would be cool.

Old 09 September 2012   #12
Originally Posted by fleech: These are all great ideas. I can't wait. I would also like to make a request. Although easy for some of you who know how to script immense code. But for a noob like me, I would like to know how to use the visual max script user Interface to bling my code. Some examples would be cool.

I've done two posts on building interfaces, I'll definitely do some more, the Visual Maxscript Editor is a bit out-dated now and creates messy code, it's much better to code it manually and learn what everything is, you can position most things with 'across' and 'offset'. I'll blog about this soon. It's quite fun an rewarding to design a nice interface.

The IK/FK Rig is a bit outside my comfort zone but I need to learn more about character rigs so I'll look into it so I can learn more myself.

Multi-Masks, I've written loads of tools to make these, which sadly I can't share, but there's some ideas I haven't tested out yet.

Structs, confused me for ages, and I've been using them lots lately and they're really powerful and easy to work with once you understand how to use them.

Old 09 September 2012   #13
Originally Posted by DaveWortley:
Structs, confused me for ages, and I've been using them lots lately and they're really powerful and easy to work with once you understand how to use them.

structs kick ass I can't remember who it was but quite a few years ago I was rumaging through someone's script and I noticed he had the whole script nested within a struct, ui, functions, and all.

I really liked the method, as everything you do is contained in a single global variable, super clean. Its only drawback is the levels at which you reference variables, they have to follow the depth correctly in order to get proper read/writes. They can be a pain to debug in larger scripts too.

Still thinks it is super handy.

Old 09 September 2012   #14
I'm ALWAYS on the lookout for things to help me further understand rotations in max and dealing with the left handed versus right handed stuff.

Old 09 September 2012   #15
There are two things I never figured out:

-) Snaps and manipulators. There are different manipulator scripts around with quite some potential, for example to come close to technical modeling like in sketchup. but they never really work with object snap. Some people say it's no problem, but I've never seen it working really.

-) UVW mapping. I was researching a way to align geometry to UV mapping, for example to align verts to specific points of a bitmap texture. Would be cool for things like geometry tiles, slicing polys aligned to bitmap patterns etc.
The problem is, all I every achieved was only working with primitive objects and their default UV mapping. As soon as there is a UVW modifier for mapping, it more or less breaks. Especially weird is the real-world UV mapping.

For both issues there are several threads in the maxscript forum, but they didn't go anywhere in the end.

Thread Closed share thread