MAX2013 Disk Space?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
MAX2013 Disk Space?

I am trying to install MAX2013 on a system with only 1GB available on the C drive. That's OK, because I plan to install MAX on the E drive which has 100GB available. In addition, the F drive has 600GB available. Yet the idiotic installer will not proceed because it keeps looking at the space on the C drive even though I have already specified the install path to be on the E-drive. The System Requirements page says 3GB free hard drive space... it doesn't say on which drive (I think I've got enough).

Any reason why the installer should be so stupid as not to use the 700GB available on the system to install MAX2013_64?

Thanks.

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 09 September 2012   #2
I think self extracting archives always dump their temp files on C and then copy the data across to where you want it. Which I agree is idiotic.

I think it might be possible to delve into the files and extract them manually avoiding that part of the process. But I'm not sure how. I expect Eric will pop up and tell us if that's possible and how.

Old 09 September 2012   #3
Look at your Setup.ini as it controls the default install paths. By default Line 62 is set to:
Quote: INSTALL_PATH=%ProgramFiles%\Autodesk
On most systems this will be C:\Program Files\Autodesk\. This is the default install path for all items (3ds max, Composite, Backburner, Common Material Libraries, FBX, Direct Connect, Revit Interop, Inventor Server, etc). It is the items after 3ds max which can eat up a lot of space.

**WARNING I CAN'T COMMENT ON WHAT THE FOLLOWING COULD CAUSE DO AT YOUR OWN RISK**
[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:
To do the following you will need to move the data to a local drive (if installing from disc) and edit/save the Setup.ini (I would recommend renaming the original one first).

You can try 2 things:

1. Add the INSTALL_PATH parameter to the Sub-Components to make sure they go to the E or F drive.
  2. Remove the Sub-Components of features you don't want installed

NOTE: This could break hardcoded paths for sub-components so if after doing this a feature like DirectConnect or Common Material Library don't work that is why.

Good luck,
-Eric

Old 09 September 2012   #4
If it is the temp file location (and not the Sub-Components) you can manually change that using the info found here. It may be good to do a temp clean up (both system/user temp and internet temp) as those could easily be a couple GB of data each, depending on when you have done clean ups in the past.

-Eric

Old 09 September 2012   #5
I move my temp folder to a different drive, just setup a new path in the system variables.

It makes it sooo much easier to find AND empty.

Control Pnael->System->Advanced System Settings->Advanced Tab->Environment Variables...->User variables for "USERNAME"

There are two you need to change:
  • TEMP
  • TMP
Now anytime an installer needs a dump location it will point to the location you have set above. (99% of the time, some people find it necessary to choose there own temp location for some reason )

Old 09 September 2012   #6
That is what the link I posted shows, that and how to relocate your IE cache as that can become bloated as well, if you use it.

-Eric

Old 09 September 2012   #7
Thanks very much for the ideas! This is on a render server and I have already removed all unneeded apps and cleaned the temp directories to get to the 1.1GB available on C. I didn't think about the INI files... may have to try that. I'll have to look into the temp locations too.

I ran the MSI installers directly from the install disc to install MAX. The MAX install worked until near the end of the install where it complained. Inspecting the MAX files on the disk seems to show a complete install but I rebooted and ran the installer again and chose to 'Repair' and the installer ran successfully. Then I installed Composite from the install disc and it worked fine.

But now when I tried to run the MAX PU... it got to like 99% finished then complained that there is no more room on the C drive.

Sounds like maybe temp files did not get removed from C or something. Not sure exactly where those things reside.

Thanks again.

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 09 September 2012   #8
Ahh, missed that.

Even though I rarely use IE I always set the cache to a stupid small amount >50mb so it doesn't whore my drive out. I do the same with all my web browsers.

Old 09 September 2012   #9
OK, changing the temp file paths seems to be the solution. I re-ran the PU installer and it completed successfully.

But one thing that's weird... Before I started installing MAX2013_64 from the install disc MSI file, the C drive had approximately 1.1GB free. Then near the end of the install, it errored and the install did not complete successfully. After this, the C drive had only 675MB free. I looked in all the temp locations I could find to try to delete leftover installer stuff to no avail. Later I re-ran the MSI installer and did a 'repair' and it says it was successful. But I still only had 675MB free on the C drive. Now after running the PU installer, the C drive has only 171MB free and I can't find where all the temporary install files are on that drive. MAX2013 and Composite are installed on the E drive.

Any ideas how to find these mystery files?

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 09 September 2012   #10
I use this to dredge through my drive and find large culprit files and folders:

http://www.mindgems.com/products/Fo...older-Size.html

Only bummer it uses flash to display the charts, so if you slaves are "clean" you'll need to install the standalone flash.

There are some other utilities out there that do similar and are more than capable that don't use flash, I just happen to prefer this one myself.

Old 09 September 2012   #11
Thanks for the link John. I am just baffled. I install MAX and Composite on drive E and drive C drops by 1 GB leaving only 171MB! I have trolled by hand through the entire disk but can't find anything that looks like a culprit. Will try the Flash app when I get a moment.

Thanks again.

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 09 September 2012   #12
You could also disable hybernate if you dont use that feature and/or reduce the pagefile. Those can take a lot of HDD space. The files are located in C: root if you want to see how big they are on your system (you have to unhide "protected operating system files" in folder options)

Old 09 September 2012   #13
Thanks again for all the ideas. OK, I think I need to start over.

I have multiple machines that are part of a functioning pipeline. They all run XP x64. I do not want to disturb them in any way... merely install MAX2013_64 & Composite on all systems (minus BB2013 so as not to disturb the functioning pipeline. I am also not installing the Direct Connect, Revit, etc stuff).

Several of the machines have smaller C-Drives and there are a number of important apps installed on the C-Drives and I don't want to have to remove and re-install these apps as they are part of the functioning pipeline. Even though some machines have scant free space on the C-Drives, they have plenty of free space on other drives on which to install MAX2013_64 & Composite.

The MAX2013 installer lets you choose where to install MAX2013_64 & Composite in the installer. So for example, if I tell it to install on the E-Drive (100GB free), it injects this path into the installer screen. But when you try to actually run the installer, it complains that you are out of hard drive space and pops up a screen that shows all your drives. The C-Drive might show 1GB free and hundreds of GB on the other drives but this dialog pops up repeatedly and it is very inconsistent as the required space values can change.

I thought that changing the temp path variables had solved the problem but no, the installer continues to want to install lots of stuff on the C-Drive. I was able to successfully run the MSI installers from the install disc but apparently there are other things that are installed via the normal installer like updates to the .NET stuff and, Visual Basic stuff, and DirectX runtimes, etc. You can see their names displayed while the normal installer runs. I am concerned that I am not getting the complete install by doing it manually so I am removing all 2013 stuff and starting over. On a different machine with 3.5GB available on the C-Drive and lots of GB on the other drives... the process failed as well.

In any event, apparently some unknown amount of free space is required on C even if you intend to install on E.

Thanks again.

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 09 September 2012   #14
Mike,

There is a long list of ways to clear space on drives. CCleaner free version is great and can clear a lot alone. It also gives you full control over this. WinDirStat is a utility I use to visually see what larger files are taking up drive space too, I use it regularly.

You can move your pagefile.sys off C: to another drive to free up a bunch. Also as suggested above, you can disable hibernation for a big increase.

You can also disable and delete XP error dump files, these get fairly big sometimes.

Cleaning up the XP64 SP recovery files can free a lot to. If you do this though you can no longer uninstall the XP SPs.

3ds Max will create folders in your user and docs folders but is fairly minor in size.

Also as stated above, I never have any temp folders pointing to C:.

If you get to where you just can't get 3ds Max 2013 going let me know and I'll be happy to work with you directly.
M&E Division Beta Administrator
Autodesk, Inc

Old 09 September 2012   #15
Are you installing the Essential Skills Movies, CML, DirectConnect, Revit Interop, and/or Inventor Server?

-Eric

Thread Closed share thread