Top/Bottom map?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
Top/Bottom map?

Is there such a thing? How would you make one so that you can plug one map into the top and one in the bottom.

Rather than plugging two shaders into the regular top/bottom map.

It appears that my displacement is not work if using the shader. I'm using mr BTW.

Last edited by MisterS : 09 September 2012 at 07:28 AM.

Old 09 September 2012   #2
Why top/bottom is not working for you?

You can try Blend material, and gradient(ramp) in the blend slot. That gradient ramp you could map with UVW planar map set on the channel 2 (and also set it to the channel 2 in the gradient map options).
Or, if you don't need shaders/materials, you can use the same principles for mix map.

You can also try Composite material.
Put your main shader in the first slot, second shader in the second slot, and blending between materials would be opacity map in the second slot (you can place there gradient like I described above for the blend material)

Explain a little bit on how you set up your displacement (and if you have some screenshots that would be good also).

Old 09 September 2012   #3
The top bottom requires two shaders to be plugged in, and when I tried using it my displacement didn't work.

I'd rather use maps, I'll try your suggestions though.

I've created a terrain with a procedural distant tree canopy using various maps. It would be cool if on the side of my moutains, or on overhangs, you could begin to see a darker underside colour to simulate the trunks/branches.

Attached is a crop of my render.

Old 09 September 2012   #4
i don't remember now but does the fallof map let you set it as top/bottom too?

Old 09 September 2012   #5
Can't share any insights but the shader looks good for sure

Old 09 September 2012   #6
It is possible to do with the Falloff map set to Towards/Away set to World Z Direction and adjusting the mix curve in a step (or other) shape (Points at [0.0,0.0],[0.5,0.0],[0.5,1.0],[1.0,1.0]) can do it. Towards/Away does 180 look up. In Z mode Towards Color is Top and Away Color will be bottom. So you will need to alter the mix to shift bottom to the middle.

-Eric

Old 09 September 2012   #7
Perfect, thankyou very much.

Edit: Can you think of a more elegant way of breaking up the blend without the need for the second falloff map? It works but requires me to adjust both falloffs when shifting the blend line up or down. Cool method though.

Last edited by MisterS : 09 September 2012 at 11:00 AM.

Old 09 September 2012   #8
Try a Gradient Ramp set to Mapped with the Source Map your falloff. Set the mid point to your transition map/Dent map. Just make sure the transition of your original Falloff (the grey area) covers the distance you want.

EDIT: You do need at least 2 more points or beizer handles to make a curve. The mix happens in the horizontal middle of the mix curve.

-Eric

Last edited by PiXeL_MoNKeY : 09 September 2012 at 05:11 PM.

Old 09 September 2012   #9
Cheers for the reply - I tried that and think I prefer the first method, I wasn't able to get the same result but maybe that was due to my sunday morning head.

Another question - is it possible to set the T/B map up so that it's not influenced by the bump map, only by shader's displacement?

EDIT - I've found a convoluted way....

Last edited by MisterS : 09 September 2012 at 01:25 AM.

Old 09 September 2012   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread