Mental Ray and Standard map support for iray

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
Question Mental Ray and Standard map support for iray

Hi, Iím a bit new to iray. Iív read the 3dsmax manual and seen which are supported. But Iív also noticed that the mental ray displacement maps are supported by iray. Generally they donít show up when iray is set as the renderer and according to 3dsmax manual the ďmental ray connection rolloutĒ doesnít work in iray. But, Iív seen that the mental ray displacement map in mental ray connection rollout is working. Is it a kind of hidden trick? :P

Can anyone please help me that like this one, what other mental ray maps or standard maps or even materials work with iray?

Currently Iím using 3dsmax 2012.

And also another question is about ambient occlusion in iray. eg in vray I can add vray dirt map with a custom bitmap and also in mental ray with custom map in AO.
how can I add custom map in ambient occlusion in iray? like I want to have a custom water leaking map or a rusty look where two concrete shapes meet allover in my scene.

Help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

09 September 2012
If you set iRay as your renderer then it will disable the materials and texture maps that it doesn't support.

EDIT: or at least if you make a new material it will limit your choices, if you already created your materials under Mental Ray and then switch to iRay and something isn't supported then it will render incorrectly.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by darthviper107: If you set iRay as your renderer then it will disable the materials and texture maps that it doesn't support.

EDIT: or at least if you make a new material it will limit your choices, if you already created your materials under Mental Ray and then switch to iRay and something isn't supported then it will render incorrectly.

well, thank you very much. Any tips about the AO?

09 September 2012
iray is about physical accuracy not rendering tricks. As such there is no support for techniques that aren't physically accurate shading models like AO. If you want to use AO with iray you will need to RTT or use the Render Surface Map Graphite Tools feature. Also, IIRC mental ray doesn't support inverted AO in 2012.

-Eric

09 September 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread