3ds Max 2013 Product Update 05 is now available for download!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by KellyM: This was set fixed in 3ds Max PU05, have you tried it?

From 3ds Max 2013 PU05 readme:

Nitrous viewports
  • Bump maps now display correctly (Noise map + Realistic Material/Hardware Map).

Hey Kelly, I just tried again and again and I can say that the noise map, when applied to the bump slot of a standard or Arch&design material, does NOT display in the viewport. The checker material, for instance, displays correctly.

Can somebody else confirm this?

As a side note - where, in the material/map browser of Max 2013, is the option to display only the material of the selected object? (Material/Map browser -> Browse From-> Selected). I've avoided using Slate for a long time and cannot allow this to continue...

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by davius: Hey Kelly, I just tried again and again and I can say that the noise map, when applied to the bump slot of a standard or Arch&design material, does NOT display in the viewport. The checker material, for instance, displays correctly.

Can somebody else confirm this?

works here, your noise size is probably too big, make it smaller
Attached Images
File Type: jpg noise2013nitirous.jpg (10.7 KB, 30 views)

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by davius: As a side note - where, in the material/map browser of Max 2013, is the option to display only the material of the selected object? (Material/Map browser -> Browse From-> Selected). I've avoided using Slate for a long time and cannot allow this to continue...
Scene Materials > Filter Selected Objects.

-Eric

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by PiXeL_MoNKeY: Scene Materials > Filter Selected Objects.

-Eric

Thanks Eric. I knew I was missing something.

@CompanionCube
Nope, there's no way to make it appear here, I tweaked the size of the bump map but nothing changed. The checker map works flawlessly, but the noise is just a no-show. Maybe I'm missing something.

What I did (using Nitrous):
made a sphere
put a noise map in the bump slot of a standard material
apply to sphere
in the compact material editor I clicked and held to select "show realistic material in viewport"
The sphere turns into a checker map for a few seconds and then returns to its normal grey color, no sign of bump mapping.

I tested it in a laptop with a quadro 2700 on it. Maybe it's a gfx card problem.

09 September 2012
in 3ds max go to help > diagnose video hardware and it will tell you if your card can handle all nitrous features

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by CompanionCube: in 3ds max go to help > diagnose video hardware and it will tell you if your card can handle all nitrous features

Strange. I just did that and it returns this in Max 2013:

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////  
//////////   Nitrous Hardware Report  ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// 
0: [X]NVIDIA Quadro FX 2700M	\\.\DISPLAY1  
1:    NVIDIA Quadro FX 2700M	\\.\DISPLAY2

While in Max 2010 I get this

//////////   Review GPU Feature Support   ////////////////////////////////////
Graphics Vendor Information: Direct3D 9.0 (NVIDIA Quadro FX 2700M) 
GPU Shader Model Support: SM3.0  
Maximum pixel shader instruction count: 4096  
Viewport Shading Quality: Best  
Real-time Sun and Sky: Supported  
Real-time Architectural Material: Supported    
Visit http://www.autodesk.com/max-hardware for a list of certified graphics cards  //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

What does that mean?

09 September 2012
Be sure you are in Realistic and then you set the material to display as Realistic

Here is the basic process:
Enableing noise bump in Nitrous
M&E Division Beta Administrator
Autodesk, Inc

09 September 2012
I was wondering why the latest 2013 updates take so long to finish? It took very long in PU4 and also in PU5.

Does it takes a long time to everyone?

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by davius: I've avoided using Slate for a long time and cannot allow this to continue...

Good to hear I'm not the only avoiding slate.

Originally Posted by 3DMadness: I was wondering why the latest 2013 updates take so long to finish? It took very long in PU4 and also in PU5.

Yes during "validating install".

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by 3DMadness: I was wondering why the latest 2013 updates take so long to finish? It took very long in PU4 and also in PU5.

Yes, and it has been reported to Autodesk and Kelly.

I did find that using command-line to install using something like:
msiexec /update 3dsMax2013_PU05_Win_64-bit.msp /quiet
could dramatically decreased the time to install.

I need to do some testing to verify this and the best way to handle uninstalls as those seem to suffer the same slow down. Not sure where the issue actual resides, but may be a workaround.

-Eric

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by PiXeL_MoNKeY: I need to do some testing to verify this and the best way to handle uninstalls as those seem to suffer the same slow down. Not sure where the issue actual resides, but may be a workaround.

I am currently verifying if this works properly and that everything gets updated properly.
M&E Division Beta Administrator
Autodesk, Inc

09 September 2012
Hi Kelly,

i am not happy. We have problem with Max-Script and Network Rendering. 200 Cad-Modeller wait of the Bug-Fix. You have say you do it. I download PU5 and read the Documantion and i am happy. We test the Update and i can cry.

What must we do? We wait 5 Updates and it is not fix, in 3dsmax2012 we have no Problems!

cheers
hot chip

Last edited by thorsten hartmann : 09 September 2012 at 10:46 AM.

09 September 2012
Any news on Kepler support for iray? I'm really looking forward to see some enhancement in rendering times vs quality.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by thorsten hartmann: Hi Kelly,

i am not happy. We have problem with Max-Script and Network Rendering. 200 Cad-Modeller wait of the Bug-Fix. You have say you do it. I download PU5 and read the Documantion and i am happy. We test the Update and i can cry.

What must we do? We wait 5 Updates and it is not fix, in 3dsmax2012 we have no Problems!

If i have at the next weekend not a Bug-Fix for my client, is the biggest CAD-Modeller Company in Germany switch to Cinema4D. You lost much money and the image of Autodesk in Germany is down.

cheers
hot chip
see my previous post with code that will automate the netrender dialog HERE. I have been using it in production for over a year. It is stable and also allows you to set job dependencies. If you find any problem with it, let me know and i will fix it but i am confident you wont.

09 September 2012
Thanks for the video Kelly, followed the steps one by one but no luck here. Normal maps with bitmaps works, bump maps with bitmaps also work, but no matter what I do the bump map with noise map does not appear.

I think I'll just install the PU05 again (although Max says it's installed in the ABOUT screen) and try one more time. Maybe I'll wait and see if you guys manage to make the PU05 install a little faster.

Cheers and thanks for the help!

Thread Closed share thread