Very High poly chars workflow

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
Very High poly chars workflow

Hi

I must do models for my art director with all the rigging, and he want that the models have at least 100.000 -200.000 polys from Zbrush to see the detail. But I cannot work with this in 3DsMax 2011 because I don't know to rig this type of characters, I don't know the pipeline to this type of models. If aI make the same rigging that in ingame models 3dsmax cannot move the character, the rigging is ery complicate and I have problems with things like props, cloth, facial expresión... and after all this he want especific changes in the models (like change a proportion of the hea in pose the model to be more like marketing team want).

Can somebody give me a little help for this?

Thanks to everyone.

Old 09 September 2012   #2
Use a low-poly proxy and skinwrap the high poly mesh to it.
100-200 k polys still seems quite high to me, I´d recommend using displacement+normal maps to get the high detail from zbrush to 3ds max and do some low quality clay renders of the animations to make your bosses happy...

Old 09 September 2012   #3
Does your art director have concept/modeling/facial expressions character sheets? It seems to me that he doesn't know what he wants... rigging and skinning such a high poly characters... and THEN make some changes is insane... and it seems to me that you are going in that direction... even if you pull that off how are you going to render it...?

Old 09 September 2012   #4
Two options seem likely to be most successful to me:

1) Skinwrap as mentioned above. Then the low res skinned model model doesn't need to change and you can keep your poses and just re-skin wrap the new high res models as they change. Changing proportions will probably break this though.

2) Don't skin it at all in Max. Pose it in Zbrush using Transpose. If it's only for approvals or marketing stills then this will probably allow you to make changes and get them approved quicker. I think you can store the pose as a layer or morph target or something and turn it off when the model is approved. (I'm not too familiar with how) Then when your director is happy with the model you can move to 1) as above.

Old 09 September 2012   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread