Anything like Zoomify (Maya) in Max? (Allow zoom in on locked camera)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
Anything like Zoomify (Maya) in Max? (Allow zoom in on locked camera)

So that once you have a camera matched to background image and locked, you can zoom in and pan around whilst keeping everything lined up allowing you to model the small details from oyur geometry.

I guess it crops the view rather than adjusts the camera.

Old 09 September 2012   #2
press "p" on the keyboard? Press "c" to go back to the camera.

Old 09 September 2012   #3
The bg image won't align to the model if you do that.

Old 09 September 2012   #4
So you want an image aligned to the camera but allow you to move around the model?

Old 09 September 2012   #5
So essentially this allows you to blow up a region of your locked off camera viewport and pan that around.

I saw the zoomify script used on a maya matte painting gnomon DVD. It also kept the same quality of your VP regardless of how far you zoomed in.

Old 09 September 2012   #6
this is(was?) possible in opengl, viewport configuartion->virtual viewport or something

Last edited by PiotrekM : 09 September 2012 at 01:55 AM.

Old 09 September 2012   #7
Originally Posted by MisterS: The bg image won't align to the model if you do that.

I see what you mean now...that would be a good thing to have. Have you checked all the script sites(well scriptspot), as it sounds like something someone would have had a go at before?
I recall something called overscan but that was for enlarging a camera's frame but keeping the original FOV. But it might be somewhere to start if you are into scripting.

Old 09 September 2012   #8
Just tried virtual viewport in OpenGL, that is exactly what I'm after. Shame it's accessed via the config menu i.e. a bit long winded and slow.

shame it doesn't work with Nitrous too, it will have to do though I guess cause I can't find a script which does that anywhere.

Edit: you can control it easily, here are the buttons:

http://www.vfxwiki.de/index.php?title=3ds_Max

Last edited by MisterS : 09 September 2012 at 09:49 AM.

Old 09 September 2012   #9
Yeah, unfortunately it's not available in Nitours and DirectX.

It used to have a hotkey assigned though, I think it was enabled/disabled with either the asterisk or divide key of the numeric keypad, plus and minus being assigned to zooming in and out and 4, 8, 6 and 2 for panning around, not sure if they're assigned by default in the later versions of max.

Old 09 September 2012   #10
I think I can do it using a VRay Camera and a script using the horizontal and vertical shifts, but there's a bug in the current Vray Camera shift system.... when this is fixed I'll have a go at making it.

Old 09 September 2012   #11
Actually you don't even need a script if you don't mind doing it manually....

I'm assuming you're using VRay, if not you should be able to download the demo, and use this functionality on a demo license anyway.

Make a copy of your VRay Camera, or make a VRayCamera

Change the FOV/Focal Length to move in and out
Use Horizontal Offset to move side to side,
Use Vertical Offset to move up and down

The bug i was talking about was referring to a difference between viewport and render so it's not a major issue if all you want to do is to zoom in on your viewport not render it.

Old 09 September 2012   #12
Actually you can do something similar with an xform modifier (for zooming) and a skew modifier (for the horizontal/vertical shift) applied to a camera, though it's very very uncomfortable.

Old 09 September 2012   #13
Originally Posted by pokoy: Actually you can do something similar with an xform modifier (for zooming) and a skew modifier (for the horizontal/vertical shift) applied to a camera, though it's very very uncomfortable.

Interesting... It works better using Skew because then you don't get the bug with VRay, and you can use it on Standard Cameras, I feel a script coming on....

Old 09 September 2012   #14
if i remember well, the image plane scripted plugin here does that, creates an image plane and IF i remember correctly you could zoom and pan keeping the alignment...

Old 09 September 2012   #15
I forgot to say i'm using mr. I'll try some other suggestions tomorrow though OpenGL is a pretty good option at the moment.

Thread Closed share thread