Predator's Hair

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2012   #1
Predator's Hair

Hi friends!

Im working on Predator and I have created Splines that are Lofted for his hair. I want to animate his hair and I want it to be dynamic. So when his head turns his hair realistically turns with him.

My question is, How would you approach this? I've tried Hair & Fur on the splines (without the loft) and only about 50 hair strands, but the position of the hair is off and not correctly shaped. Tried Flex modifier (with the loft), thats closer to what I want but doesn't move realistically. Maybe I need to try this approach again?

Any suggestions for this? MassFX maybe?

p.s.:
Here is an example of his hair. Predator's Hair Notice its not thousands of strands. Its about 50 large chunks of black tubes. This is basically what I've modeled that needs realistic movement.

Using Max 2013.

Thanks in advance!

Old 08 August 2012   #2
Use hair&Fur and use instances for every hair, so you instance the geometry and it will move with the hair.

Check the max help for hair instancing information, this is a way.

Another way can be to simulate some bones with constraints with MassFX and skin the "hairs" to the bones, this way you'll have the hairs moving too.

There can be otehr solutions, but those two can solve your problem i think.

Cheers.

Old 08 August 2012   #3
CerberusC,

Thanks buddy! Interesting solutions! I think I'll start with the Mass FX one first. Thanks again!

Old 08 August 2012   #4
You could try this MassFX rope tool and skin the hair to that.

-Eric

Last edited by PiXeL_MoNKeY : 08 August 2012 at 04:10 PM.

Old 08 August 2012   #5
you could also try the Cloth modifier on a low-poly version and then skin the hair to that.

Old 08 August 2012   #6
Originally Posted by PiXeL_MoNKeY: You could try this MassFX rope tool and skin the hair to that.

-Eric

Error 404 Eric. I believe you meant this thread here:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=1061086

Cheers

Old 08 August 2012   #7
Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll give the Rope Tool a try tonight. The hair & fur instance might work as well. Going to see what results I get.

Old 08 August 2012   #8
Originally Posted by davius: Error 404 Eric. I believe you meant this thread here:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=1061086

Cheers
Fixed, stupid forum decided to replace http:/ with forums.cgsociety.org.

-Eric

Old 09 September 2012   #9
Ok, I've been trying to use the MassFX constraint to bones solution as suggested by CerberusC but I've been running into an issue where my bones do not constrain properly. This is my first time using this method so bare with me.

The closes result I can get is using the ball & socket constraint but it doesn't work well for hair. Im not getting good results with any other constraint. Any suggestion on what constraint I should use to simulate hair with bones and MassFX? I tried them all but the others seem to STRETCH the bones severely even when I set its Mass to .01.

PiXeL_MoNKeY,

I wont be able to use the Rope and Skin because There's a good chance the character will get handed to another user and I can't have any "Missing Plugin" issues. But thanks for your suggestion! That plugin does look sweet!

Thanks!

Old 09 September 2012   #10
The thing with MassFX constraints that always seems to throw me is that it really really matters that the orientation matches the objects and they're aligned with the object pivot. So even if the arcs of movement don't appear to line up with the objects, make sure they're aligned to the objects.

But saying that, i always seem to get it wrong so take that advice with a pinch of salt. Something to look into anyway.

Old 09 September 2012   #11
I have the constraints aligned correctly. That doesn't seem to be my issue. Its really puzzling how to get it to work. I found one video online that describes it, but its in Arabic. Any other suggestions?

Old 09 September 2012   #12
The rope tool is just an automation tool for creating the links and setting up the system. It shouldn't require anything to be installed to use it as it is all done in MassFX. Easy way to find out is test it in a sample file, rename the mse and open the file. It should work without an issue.

-Eric

Old 09 September 2012   #13
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread