New to Max, some issues

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2012   #1
New to Max, some issues

Hello,
I come from maya and recently decided to try out max and in the process I've run into some weird problems. I hope someone might help me.

1. The clipping is a bit weird. The pipe has an extension inside and when zoomed out a bit it shows through the mesh. In maya I'd adjust viewport clipping, mainly the near plane, but in max using Perspective > Viewport clipping and then adjusting the arrows does nothing to fix this. Moving near plane can show or hide the object but not actually fix this weird error unlike it does it maya.

2. I imported an FBX from maya but the normals were locked and there was seemingly no way to adjust. A workaround I found was to duplicate the mesh but I'm wondering if there is a
way like in maya to simply unlock normals.

3. Sometimes when I rotate the camera I maybe press something but when I want to zoom using scroll wheel, it doesn't work. I have to press the wheel and only then zoom restores. Why is that? Sometimes the selection shape changes from rect to circle. A hotkey I accidentally trigger?

4. If I go into material editor and adjust a material, then make a new scene, the material stays. Is that intended?

5. Am I forced to use sub-object material to assign various materials to one mesh? In maya you just select polies and assign material to them.

6. Is there a way to toggle backface culling globally? It's a bit tedious to click each object and turn it on. If not, maybe there is a script to do this?
The problem I have with culling is when object is not selected it's all good, I can see the edges. But when I select the object, back edges disappear. This is very undesirable for me. Is there some setting to maybe change this?

7. A little nuisance, max "highlights" last selected item in right click menu, but the highlight is actually very dark, almost black. This confuses me a bit as I think the option is not available. I can deal with this but would be nice to change the color to something lighter.

Thanks a lot.

Old 08 August 2012   #2
Hello,

1. The clipping is a bit weird.

I think this can vary depending on what drivers you have. Some machines I work on this is a problem, others it's not. I don't have a good answer, im afraid.

2. I imported an FBX from maya...

Should be possible to just convert to editable poly and adjust smoothing groups this way, regardless of how the mesh was imported.

3. Sometimes when I rotate the camera I maybe press something but when I want to zoom using scroll wheel, it doesn't work. Why is that? Sometimes the selection shape changes from rect to circle. A hotkey I accidentally trigger?

Check to see if you are in Orthographic or Perspective mode. The zooming behaves a bit differently in each mode and people usually find it a bit more wonky in Orthographic mode. I highly recommend you change the orbit mode to Orbit Sub-object if it's not already. Q is the hotkey thats changing your selection shapes.

4. If I go into material editor and adjust a material, then make a new scene, the material stays. Is that intended?

This is intended, I guess, and it will store this unless you open a brand new instance of Max.

5. Am I forced to use sub-object material to assign various materials to one mesh? In maya you just select polies and assign material to them.

You could do that, but be aware that it's going to make a Multi-Sub Object material in the background anyways. If you eye drop your object in the material editor after doing this, don't be surprised if a MultiSub shows up. Sometimes you can just assign stuff if you know what you are doing, otherwise build the multi-sub yourself and assign material ID's manually.

6. Is there a way to toggle backface culling globally? It's a bit tedious to click each object and turn it on. If not, maybe there is a script to do this?

Customize > Preferences > Viewports > Backface Cull on Object Creation. Otherwise just select all and go into object properties.

7. A little nuisance, max "highlights" last selected item in right click menu, but the highlight is actually very dark, almost black.

Don't know off the top of my head, but check out Customize > Customize User Interface > Colors. It's probably in there somewhere.

Old 08 August 2012   #3
*Double Post*

Last edited by Decency : 08 August 2012 at 06:34 PM.

Old 08 August 2012   #4
I noticed the clipping is something that's because of Nitrous--it also displays edged faces weird if they aren't perpendicular to the view angle.

Old 08 August 2012   #5
oohh max

FBX stuff ->

The best way to treat this, is to add an edit poly modifier, then collapse the modifier stack... i've had the odd instance where just converting to editpoly didn't fix my smoothing groups issues, where as actually adding a new edit poly forces max to rebuild the polygon data. this should basically give you a new mesh build with "harden edges", and you'll just need to redo the smoothing groups in your editable poly. (i usually set mine all to auto smooth 30 or something)..

also, if you plan to go BACK to maya.. or whatever software you were using outside of max... and you want to export the geo... make sure you add a Turn to Poly modifier on top of the objects you wish to Export.. then export them with that modifier still applied (dont collapse). This fixes triangulation issues, etc. and forces a max polygon rebuild during the export process.

Material Editor ->

Not sure if you already know this, but you can quickly reset that editor at anytime (if you like.. have a new scene with the same materials and you don't wanna reset the whole max instance)

in material editor theres like.. Tools or Options (i forget which menu list it was) and inside there's Reset Material Editor Slots... click that and it dumps the materials saved in the current editor, and refreshes them back to default slots. (standard mtls)

Selection Marquee ->

This is the default Max "Smart Select" mode,. Go to the customize user interface.. find Select Object in the left-side list of commands (you can change the dropdown to All Commands and then start typing in the command you want and it will find it.. look for 'Select Object' and assign Q to this. then your Q select mode will not change all the time.

Backface Culling ->

there's probably a global setting somewhere, but i'm too lazy... so i use these oneliners..
just put one in the maxscript editor, select the text and drag it into a max shelf somewhere.. and it'll make a button for it.. (kinda like maya)

--turns all objects backface culling on
objects.backfacecull = true

--turns all objects backface culling off
objects.backfacecull = false

Old 08 August 2012   #6
1) This is a Zbuffer issue with the wireframes. I have seen this same issue with other packages and may be related to your scene scale and settings in 3ds max.

2) The proper way to do this, is not what has been recommended. What is happening is the FBX data smoothing is coming in as vertex normals instead of smoothing groups (face normals). To control them apply an Edit Normals modifier. From there you can manually adjust the normals, or select all and reset. In the case of any face having vertex normals and face normals the vertex normals will always override the face normals. The suggest methods use modifiers that don't support vertex normals rather than fix the issue.

3) Don't use scroll to zoom, instead use the Ctrl+Alt+MMB hotkey. The scroll wheel uses a method that in essence scales the view as you keep zooming the scale doesn't reset so the value gets smaller and smaller to the point of no noticeable change. The hotkey method does the same, but resets the start value and alleviates the issue.

-Eric

Old 08 August 2012   #7
Quote: 4. If I go into material editor and adjust a material, then make a new scene,
the material stays. Is that intended?

You need to "reset" not "new".

Old 08 August 2012   #8
on number 7 - Go into CUI (Customize User Interface) - Quads -> and at bottom right corner select Advanced Options. There you can change colors for Quad menu.

Nik

Old 08 August 2012   #9
Thanks a lot.
Fixed the clipping by switching from nitrous to DX9. Am I losing much by doing so?
Throwing a second edit poly in the stack indeed fixes the normal problem.
Though I still can't find a way to enable edges on selected object while in backface mode.
Hmm, in DX9 mode even when object is not selected the back edges no longer show.

Last edited by EdgarM : 08 August 2012 at 06:31 PM.

Old 08 August 2012   #10
Originally Posted by EdgarM: Though I still can't find a way to enable edges on selected object while in backface mode.
Hmm, in DX9 mode even when object is not selected the back edges no longer show.

This is actually the correct behaviour and Nitrous does it wrong. It's really useful to only be able to see border edges on the rear side of an object. It helps show up errors like unwelded verts and keeps the scene clear and easy to read when it gets complicated. I hate having all the backface edges drawn.

Old 08 August 2012   #11
Just noticed that max doesn't have a proper chamfer/bevel feature. What's up with that? The resulting chamfer looks awful.

Old 08 August 2012   #12
Originally Posted by EdgarM: Just noticed that max doesn't have a proper chamfer/bevel feature. What's up with that? The resulting chamfer looks awful.

Yeah, it sucks sometimes, well, a lot of times...

Old 08 August 2012   #13
Is there any workaround, except for buying the plugin.

Old 08 August 2012   #14
Originally Posted by EdgarM: Is there any workaround, except for buying the plugin.

... I would say just do it in Maya... But then that'd make some people upset lol...

I'm afraid the plugin is your best bet... Actually for many things in max, plugins are the way to go... They're usually pretty good too, I remember seeing one in specific to this chamfer issue in Mac underground.. I think it's like quad chamfer or something...

Old 08 August 2012   #15
Originally Posted by EdgarM: Just noticed that max doesn't have a proper chamfer/bevel feature. What's up with that? The resulting chamfer looks awful.

Coming from maya and complaining about chamfer tool in 3dsmax? He,he,he mmfhhhh..

Post an image.

Thread Closed share thread