Auto-multisub materials

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2012   #1
Auto-multisub materials

Now I might be going mad, but I've been using 3DS ages.

I'm certain I remember I used to be able to have a sub-selection of faces made on an object and just apply a new material from the material slot to that selection and Max would auto-generate a multi-sub (but not load it into the mat editor window).
You could then obviously manage your materials as instances which are loose in the mat editor, or you could grab the multi-sub back off the object.

Today the behaviour feels less intuitive. I have to detach to element and give the element a unique mat id and then I can apply a 'free' mat editor material to that sub-selection.

Surely it's not hard to make Max just do this automatically like I'm sure it used to!?

I'm probably missing a button that was added at some point back in 2003 or something but I have no idea and most help/tutorials show people building a multi-sub material to get things rolling but I don't want to work that way as it's just slow and silly vs just doing it WYSIWYG automatic stylee.

Any ideas/help much appreciated

Thanks

Dave

Old 10 October 2012   #2
Still ideas/thoughts appreciated.

I'm certain you used to be able to just select faces, apply a material, select some other faces, and apply another material from the mat editor, and Max would tell you it was generating a multi-sub material and just do it for you.

You didn't even 'see' the multi-sub material unless you brought it into the editor, you just had all your primary materials in the editors and numerous combos of multi-subs per object depending on which materials you had applied.

I see Max will auto-generate multi-subs if you split objects, apply materials, then connect them again, but that is just silly.

I'm certain that was the default behaviour in the past, but guessing it changed between then and now and there is probably a little switch in an ini file somewhere to make it work the old way.

Any ideas?

Just seems a task and a half creating a mega multi-sub for my scene and scrolling through a long list of multi-subs to find the right material, just so I can keep certain meshes as one object for easy editing (building interior/exteriors for NPR and ink/paint project)

Cheers

Dave

Old 10 October 2012   #3
Well I used 3DS Max 'help' and this method works in editable mesh, but not editable poly.

Bit of an oddity but I guess I can live with that.

Does anyone know why we can't have that feature in edit poly? Tis a bit like the welding co-incident verts that form a zero area tri issue too.
Edit mesh will weld down while edit poly will retain co-incident verts if those verts form a zero area tri.

Max 2010 here so not sure if they have fixed these things in later versions

Thanks again

Dave

Old 10 October 2012   #4
I noticed the same thing.

Does anyone know if this is a setting that can be changed?

Thanks,
Mahlon

Old 10 October 2012   #5
It seems some edit mesh behaviours which were preferential (this material one and the weld vert one) never made it over to editable poly. Probably just an omission that no one has really noticed or cared about?
Surprising if so though... hence me expecting a check box fix or something I didn't spot when edit poly was introduced

It's catching me out on this project though and just impedes work flow a bit... it'd be nice to know of a simple fix if there is one

Thanks

Dave

Old 10 October 2012   #6
Works fine for me, both Max 2012 and 2013, edit poly, apply a single material, go to poly sub object level, select some faces, apply another material and it applies it to just those faces. If you then go to an empty material slot and use the material eyedropper it'll then bring up the multi/sub object material.

Old 10 October 2012   #7
I've had assigning materials to a face selection assign to the whole object instead when using the assign to selection button in the MatEd before, but if memory serves (and it might not) it would work if I dragged and dropped the material onto the selection.

Old 10 October 2012   #8
Originally Posted by darthviper107: Works fine for me, both Max 2012 and 2013, edit poly, apply a single material, go to poly sub object level, select some faces, apply another material and it applies it to just those faces. If you then go to an empty material slot and use the material eyedropper it'll then bring up the multi/sub object material.

Ahaa, worked this out now.

Edit poly modifier doesn't work as expected.

Editable poly (collapsed) does work as expected.

Edit mesh modifier does work as expected.

So does 2012/2013 even work with the edit poly modifier?

It's not a huge issue as you can work around it, it's just an oddity more than anything

Cheers

Dave

Old 10 October 2012   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread