2013 extension announcement...rant

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2012   #91
Please read our announcement. If you are on subscription, you now have those cache operators.

Old 08 August 2012   #92
Originally Posted by reForm: If memory serves me correctly, I originally bought cache, then when it was no longer recompiled (perhaps a turbosquid limitation), I had to upgrade to box-3 for the cache tools which I needed for a project. I could be wrong though as it was many years ago!

Cache is still on the orbaz store. It's $49, I doubt it was a Turbosquid limitation but it only runs up to R9.

Cheers

Steve

Old 08 August 2012   #93
Originally Posted by kenpimentel: There is a big difference between Box2 and Box3. I can see why you might use Box2, harder to see most people using Box3.

Then isn't it more make sense to just give Box3 to standard 3ds max users? Because most people would not buy suite for Box3.

If I have Box3 as a part of max, I might give a shot and find a use, but I would not spend more for that.

If someone really need Box3 funtionality, you can buy Houdini at "$4,495(include 2year sub)".

I know FX market is a small portion of max user base, but you should realize that FX market has more potential to grow. Arch/Viz and game market is already saturated for max. Cinema4D is taking away motion graphics market. What Autodesk is doing is basically giving this market to Houdini.

I understand that you need to time to sort out, but I think you should act quickly and properly.

Old 08 August 2012   #94
Originally Posted by SaiZyca2: What We bought is a software,not Lottery.
you can't tell your customers "Sorry~you miss it"
even we don't know what is the prize content ,because you always say "That's secret"

and this time you cheating us because you change the rule.

Why you think people will continue this game ?

You can complain that we can't reveal everything we know, but there is no solution. We are prevented from talking about future plans. This is so you don't make a purchasing decision today about something that may or may not happen in the future. Many companies have to follow these rules, not just Adsk. Not every company, depends on how conservative their financial reporting systems are. Adsk is very, very conservative.

Old 08 August 2012   #95
2013 was really low on features.
Sub priced is increased.
Sub extension stripped.
I'm watching other companies at Siggraph show great creative features with users in mind, while watching Autodesk do damage control from seedy business decisions with investors in mind instead of users.
Not looking very good these days.

Old 08 August 2012   #96
after today's announcement (slap in the face) from Autodesk, its apparent this is how they view their customers...

Old 08 August 2012   #97
Originally Posted by kenpimentel: ...
c) Don't you think Box2/3 is more aligned to core Entertainment users? I'd love to hear opinions on that...

Which brings up the question once again (that was never satisfyingly answered btw) of the stupid split, apart, of course, for the blatant marketing ploy to get Viz users (who payed then 800$ for the software + a couple hundred for sub) to swallow the pill of their tool getting phased out in favor of one that was 4 times more expensive with features they would likely never use. Now that everyone complied, wouldnt it be just much simpler and fairer for everyone involved (users, developers, resellers, plugin makers etc) to merge back both versions (which are still the same after 3-4 upgrades, save a couple of features, literally) and everybody would have access to SAPs, hotfixes etc as they see fit without feeling ripped off because they didnt choose the right flavor to begins with.

Old 08 August 2012   #98
Ken, I do not envy your job today :S

Everyone, correct me if I am wrong, but It looks as though everyone will still be able to purchase box2 and box3 from Orbaz for 2013, not just the current customers getting a recompile.

from orbaz's forum:
Quote: Orbaz Technologies will continue to support our current customers of Box#2 Pro and Box#3 Pro, and you will be able to continue purchasing Box#2/Box#3 from Orbaz Technologies for the time being. We will also soon be releasing a recompiled version of these plugins for 3ds Max 2013.

His forum post, which has gotten significantly less traffic than this.
So it seems as all of the options are still on the (current) table, in addition to getting box2 and box3 through an admittedly roundabout way.

I do have to agree with everyone here however, it seems this road to XBR and the future of max is taking a lot longer than anticipated, and people are feeling abandoned. We are all waiting for some concrete news, that is actually good news.

Last edited by TheOnlyAaron : 08 August 2012 at 06:18 PM.

Old 08 August 2012   #99
Ken
As always, I definitely applaud your decision to chime in on this thread. And as always I would like to say that I believe the tension expressed here is not centered on you personally, but at Autodesk as a whole and the policies they are handing out. I imagine you have a part in these, but I dont suppose you have final say. You seem to care not only for the product, but for its users...hence your participation here. I actually do feel better about the issue given some of your responses here and I would love to see something change on this, but as was stated, we at least have the tools recompiled from Oleg. That really makes a difference for those who are currently using them.

All that being said, I do feel a bit like the donkey behind the carrot these days. I have trouble swallowing this decision. And while I will wait and see what (if any) resolution Autodesk comes up with, I think that unless we all voiced our concern Autodesk would not realize our displeasure over this.
Proverbs 17:28 - Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace; When he shuts his lips, he is considered perceptive.

Old 08 August 2012   #100
Originally Posted by kenpimentel: Why don't we try just giving us (Adsk) a few days to sort this out before reacting? We are working on the situation (no promises).

There's plenty of time to beat us up if we fail to do anything.

Ken.
I believe the problem is that this isn't a "sudden" reaction, instead it is a level of dissatisfaction that many people have had with Autodesk's upgrade / subscription policy for a long time, and this is just the straw that broke the camel's back for some people.

Whilst Autodesk may like to promote the subscription program as a good thing for users, as it lets them program their yearly outgoings , most people just see it as a method for Autodesk to to guarantee itself a predictable yearly income ... regardless of what it chooses to release. It is this sort of low level resentment over having to swallow something vaguely unpleasant coated in a thin layer of spin that upsets people and stores up emotions for trigger events like this.

The announcement itself certainly didn't help. When I first read the release (and missed the part about needing one of the suites), I thought, "nothing of interest for me", and gave a mental shrug of the shoulders. However when I found that my subscription payment wasn't worth as much as someone else subscription payment I went from uninterested straight to angry. It's not the software, it's what the move implies regarding the company's attitude to users, as well as reinforcing the notion that subscription is merely a way of milking as much money from users as possible.

Unfortunately for Autodesk I think a level of damage may have been done that could last a while (probably low level damage to be sure). Whilst Autodesk my work on a solution to correct a "misunderstanding" (backtracking and attempting to slam the stable door), and whilst most users will be mollified when any un-promised resolution may or may not appear, that low level resentment will remain, and be just a little stronger. Should be interesting when the higher subscription charges begin to come into effect.

Old 08 August 2012   #101
Seriously, this isn't complex. Just release the extensions to all Max users.

Any other outcome other than this is silly, and it doesn't take a NASA Curiosity avionics engineer to figure it out.

The current plan was a mistake, plain and simple.

Last edited by Blazer : 08 August 2012 at 06:53 PM.

Old 08 August 2012   #102
I think we try to listen to our users. The forums aren't always completely representative, so we have to apply our own NASA avionics engineering background to balance what the forums tell us and what we think how most users will react. Sometimes the forum is spot on, not always, but we're hopefully always checking the pulse.

Letting us know how you feel is pretty much always a good idea. We can choose to do something about it or not. Keeping the feedback as professional as possible is best, but I know how difficult that is on a public forum.

I don't know how this will be resolved or if it will be. But, we'll communicate something when we have more information. I'm just repeating myself at this point.

Old 08 August 2012   #103
Originally Posted by yog: The announcement itself certainly didn't help. When I first read the release (and missed the part about needing one of the suites), I thought, "nothing of interest for me", and gave a mental shrug of the shoulders. However when I found that my subscription payment wasn't worth as much as someone else subscription payment I went from uninterested straight to angry. It's not the software, it's what the move implies regarding the company's attitude to users, as well as reinforcing the notion that subscription is merely a way of milking as much money from users as possible.

This is how I feel exactly.
It's not the software I'm not receiving, it's the precedent being set that seems to exclude regular Max subscription users for the first time.

Old 08 August 2012   #104
I think the thing that is really confusing here is that this is obviously a FX related extension pack.

This extension is purely particle related and would be used almost exclusively by those on a Max subscription.

There appear to be no dependencies on any other product included in the creative suite (at least not today).

As you said maybe there is a grand plan but anyone doing FX work or even design work with some particles thrown in has very little use for the other products that are part of the creative suite. Just seems the Extension pack is not targeting the right Max audience.

Good luck on resolving this quickly.

Thanks,
Chad

Old 08 August 2012   #105
Originally Posted by cnaeger: Iust seems the Extension pack is not targeting the right Max audience.

From the user point of view it is not targeting the right audience.
From the money man point of view it is targeting the right audience, with the ill conceived notion said audience was going to shell out more money.

Thread Closed share thread