Old 08-07-2012, 04:52 PM   #76
MikeUnderwood
Explorer
portfolio
Mike Underwood
3d Generalist
Pixomondo
USA

This is extremely disappointing, I was really looking forward to 2014. Hopefully the situation gets worked out.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:52 PM   #77
lo
the frequentest!
portfolio
Rotem Shiffman
Tel Aviv, Israel

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Bond
cos in other case this not look like "we maked something new"
Other question why renaming stretched so long after release 2013 and not be part of it.

My point is that the users would be happier to hear an honest "we bought something proven that works" rather than a clearly false "we developed this umm... uhh.. let's call it ... mParticles... yeah, let's go with mParticles"

I honestly don't care if Autodesk spends their budget developing inhouse or acquiring proven solutions, I don't need them to sugarcoat it.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #78
kenpimentel
Lord of the posts

Ken Pimentel
Consultant
Pimentel Consulting
Sailing, United%2BStates

Send a message via MSN to kenpimentel
Because you all don't have the complete facts/future of what is going on. You have limited information, the rest we're not allowed to talk to you about publicly. I can understand why you might ask these questions, but it doesn't mean we don't have answers, just that we can't talk about them publicly.

I'm just trying to suggest there might be a reason and it might be clearer when you get the rest of the information we're holding back.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #79
philosofix
portfolio
Joe Sink
2D/3D Artist
Wintson Salem, USA

The seems it may be a bigger problem. If I remember correctly, the only way to get the Creation Suite was to have 3ds Max, not 3ds Max Design which I and I'm sure others have.

This too was a decision we had to choose.

I do have the Subscription with 3ds Max Design in a Suite, but it's the Ultimate Design Suite.

It seems problematic enough when updates for the individual products come out and break the Suite functionality, it still sends files back and forth, but the Splash screen says 3ds Max Design, vs the Design Suite. I am always hesitant to update, because I always have to contact Autodesk by installing my software too many times, even though I am only updating.

So it seems if you have 3ds Max Design on Sub and either with or w/o the Suite, it is the same as not having the ECS.

I also have the Maya Ultimate ECS, still doesn't help

Old 08-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #80
raymarcher
PRO
portfolio
Frederik De%2BMaere
Belgium

The shit has hit the fan lol.

And thank god Scriptspot for extensions.

Last edited by raymarcher : 08-07-2012 at 05:06 PM.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #81
kenpimentel
Lord of the posts

Ken Pimentel
Consultant
Pimentel Consulting
Sailing, United%2BStates

At this time, 3ds Max Design users in the various Design Suites (there are many of them) are not currently getting the Box2/3 subscription release.

a) this might change if we decide to do anything else
b) we can't discuss future plans publicly, so just because it is this way today doesn't mean it is necessarily permanent
c) Don't you think Box2/3 is more aligned to core Entertainment users? I'd love to hear opinions on that.

Give us some breathing room. I know the forum wants to operate in "real-time" at 60 posts per second, but we don't move at that speed.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #82
Rockin
Appearances may deceive

portfolio
Horea Ioan Trinca
Tractor Media
Cluj-Napoca, Romania

+1 max Design
Just because we do architectural renderings and we needed the light analysis tools doesn't mean we don't do anything with PFlow. Admittedly, we weren't planning on purchasing any of the boxes unless a very demanding project headed our way.

But even in the design area some of the most stunning animations make great use of particles. Taking that option away makes me feel uneasy, as I'm finally trapped by the max/design products. I understand that during 2013 I can still buy the plugins separately, but will it be the same in 2014? No-one who knows is allowed to say.

This is just another reason to why the separation shouldn't be done at suite level. I sincerely hope you'll manage to course correct.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #83
kenpimentel
Lord of the posts

Ken Pimentel
Consultant
Pimentel Consulting
Sailing, United%2BStates

Oleg is the one to ask if you'll be able to get his plug-ins in the future.

I think we'd all like to know that everything will always be available when we need it, but that is an unrealistic expectation (especially in plug-in land). The last time I checked, the earth spins around its axis and things change that we have no control over every single day.

For now, you don't have to worry, who knows what things will be like in 3 or 5 years?

Old 08-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #84
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

For the Suite most 3ds Max users don't need the extra software---an FX artist has no need of any of those extra programs and so it's odd to restrict an update to the FX component of Max to those users.

There's no way to justify why it would be restricted that way except to try and force people to pay extra for programs they don't need.

I know the economy isn't the greatest, but every indication is that Autodesk is growing so why would Autodesk do something so obvious? And that's on top of the price increases as well. Seems just like greed.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #85
reForm
Expert
portfolio
Patrick Macdonald
CG Artist
reForm Studios
London, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpimentel
At this time, 3ds Max Design users in the various Design Suites (there are many of them) are not currently getting the Box2/3 subscription release.

a) this might change if we decide to do anything else
b) we can't discuss future plans publicly, so just because it is this way today doesn't mean it is necessarily permanent
c) Don't you think Box2/3 is more aligned to core Entertainment users? I'd love to hear opinions on that.

Give us some breathing room. I know the forum wants to operate in "real-time" at 60 posts per second, but we don't move at that speed.

Although I work in architecture, I chose the 3dsmax route as I had a feeling the design branch would get a short straw on future updates. Seems my hunch was spot on.
I also bought box 1, 2 and 3 for various architectural projects.
I now work between architecture, advertising and film, so for me, the best thing about 3dsmax IS it's wide toolset. At one time or another, I think I've used pretty much every aspect of 3dsmax.

Breaking the package up into different flavours seems to be self-defeating for AD.
, the spreadsheet editor for 3ds Max

Old 08-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #86
Rockin
Appearances may deceive

portfolio
Horea Ioan Trinca
Tractor Media
Cluj-Napoca, Romania

Quote:

I think the correct thing to do is answer this question in the spirit of the separation criteria which was presented when the split happened. As I remember:
- design: light analysis + interop with other adsk design-related products
- vanilla: suitable for larger studios who want to build their own tools, hence access to the SDK
- there shouldn't be a feature specific to one version that might be needed in the other too

Based on that:
- Box#3 seems indeed aligned to the vanilla flavor. The technical requirements make it somewhat appropriate for a user who chose the version which shipped with the SDK. Not that I would mind having Box#3 too, but I guess that's pushing it

- I think Box#2 can be a powerful addition to the design toolset, as stated in my previous post. Some users of max design need it too.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #87
garryclarke
Expert

portfolio
Garry Clarke
Horsham, United Kingdom

Ken,

I do engineering viz, mostly oil rigs. I use particles a lot, the company I work for uses CFD to work out what happens when things catch fire, burst and explode. The engingeers calculate everything and the output from the CFD software makes a smoke cloud just a green 'bubble', it's my job to take this info, and use Max to make it look more realistic

So I need all the viz tools I can get my hands on - lots of CAD import options etc. Then I work with Particle Flow, Afterbun and FumeFX to create an animation. Sure it's not the same quality that would be produced for a Hollywood movie but the budget is a lot lot less and I have to do it all myself to a tight timescale.

So I use 3ds Max Design and as many FX tools as I can get my hands on. I'm sure I'm not the only one. This extension is the most interesting one for quite a while.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #88
kenpimentel
Lord of the posts

Ken Pimentel
Consultant
Pimentel Consulting
Sailing, United%2BStates

There is a big difference between Box2 and Box3. I can see why you might use Box2, harder to see most people using Box3.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #89
SaiZyca2
portfolio
SaiLing
Taipei, Taiwan

Quote:
Because you all don't have the complete facts/future of what is going on. You have limited information, the rest we're not allowed to talk to you about publicly. I can understand why you might ask these questions, but it doesn't mean we don't have answers, just that we can't talk about them publicly.

I'm just trying to suggest there might be a reason and it might be clearer when you get the rest of the information we're holding back.

What We bought is a software,not Lottery.
you can't tell your customers "Sorry~you miss it"
even we don't know what is the prize content ,because you always say "That's secret"

and this time you cheating us because you change the rule.

Why you think people will continue this game ?

Old 08-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #90
reForm
Expert
portfolio
Patrick Macdonald
CG Artist
reForm Studios
London, United Kingdom

Quote:
There is a big difference between Box2 and Box3. I can see why you might use Box2, harder to see most people using Box3.

If memory serves me correctly, I originally bought cache, then when it was no longer recompiled (perhaps a turbosquid limitation), I had to upgrade to box-3 for the cache tools which I needed for a project. I could be wrong though as it was many years ago!
, the spreadsheet editor for 3ds Max

Thread Closed share thread