Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 08-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #46
garryclarke
Expert

portfolio
Garry Clarke
Horsham, United Kingdom

You know Steve has a point, I've been paying nearly £400 a year for Max, the last 2 versions are unused, that's £800 wasted. I was planning to switch to Max 2013, it's had 4 big bug fixes so it might be safe to use, I have a couple of plugins that won't make it to Max 2013 so I'll have to find replacements. By the time I get my workflow sorted out Max 2014 will be coming along and a subscription renewal at £500+.

As a subscription is not giving me any advantages and I don't need a subscription to software I don't use then I might as well scrap the scubscription and save the money. Then I can upgrade when a decent version of Max comes along every 4 or 5 years, sure it'll cost more than a years subscription, it may even cost more than the cost of all the skipped subs (and I don't doubt for one min that Autodesk will stick thier upgrade prices up) but at least I'll see what I'm buying and won't have to waste money on promises only to have the rug pulled from under my feet.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #47
Steve Green
Reworking my Reel
Steve Green
Freelance 3D Artist
United Kingdom

Hi Ken,

I honestly think you're going to see a change in your subs after this, or at least the demographic.

Upping the subscription costs and making other stuff 2-tier is not going to sit well. The big question is whether this is a policy where the good stuff goes into Max on ECS.

I know I'm not going to get an answer, but that's the question that's been raised with this announcement.

I doubt it will make too much of a dent in your cash-cow Arch/Viz clientel, but for anyone in broadcast/VFX, it's a different matter.

It feels a bit like when Apple screwed up over Final Cut and Adobe made hay - If Maxon have got any sense they'll capitalise on it as well.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #48
hotknife
Expert

Andrew Whitney
Nottingham,

So just to clarify, this Extension that we standard 3ds users pay £500 a year for is just the particle cache ? Is this similar to the Krakatoa particle cache which comes for free with their demo or does it do significantly more for the extra money.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #49
spacefrog
Frog of the posts

Josef Wienerroither
Freelance
Vienna, Austria

At the same time... on a different planet... Houdini slashed their prices....

more to say ?

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Last edited by spacefrog : 08-07-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:39 PM   #50
mitchgates
Veteran
Mitch Gates
cg supervisor
Encore Hollywood
Los Angeles, USA

"As has been described in this thread, Oleg is offering Box2/3 to existing users on his terms. Nothing has been taken away and your choices are not limited."

Ken, I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. What's been taken away is the freedom to purchase additional seats of Box 2 & 3 without paying extra for Mudbox and Motionbuilder to get them. At least this is the way I understand it. Please let me know if I am wrong and Oleg/Orbaz still maintains the ability to sell all the Pflow extensions as separate products.

Thanks,
Mitch

Old 08-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #51
AJ
Totoro

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Alex Jefferies
Director
MDI Digital Ltd
Norwich, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpimentel
Not every subscription extension is as valuable to every customer as we'd like
I appreciate that you have enough data to present a positive perspective from any negative feedback but the reality is that in giving priority to those with the creative suite you have created a two tier system. On its own this would be enough to upset a lot of users but taking in to account the fact that subscriptions are increasing by 45% it is a real kick in the teeth.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #52
vlad
Expert

The cynicism on AD's part here has reached a new summit. We've be told for the last, what, 4 years, to be patient, that XBR would take time to pan out, you churn out yearly upgrades that fix some issues but introduce a whole set of fresh ones (containers, Nitrous etc), you present a rather vague roadmap with no definite terms, not to mention the completely and totally useless "splitting" of Max and Design, yet you upgrade subs fees by a sizable amount and now this. Why not tell ALL your subscribing customers you actually DO care and thank them for their patience with Max's development and make this SAP available to all regardless of their subscription "status". I very rarely rant, but this is beyond me

Last edited by vlad : 08-07-2012 at 03:08 PM.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #53
scrimski
antieverything
portfolio
J. Schreyer
head->wall
ARRI Berlin
Berlin, Germany

Just glad I don't use AD products no more.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #54
Blazer
Supreme Commander

Danny Robashkin
MAKE
Minneapolis, USA

This response is coming from the fact that people, myself included, feel blackmailed into buying something we DO NOT NEED in order to get something we DO NEED that has NOTHING to do with the stuff we DO NOT NEED.

If we use Max for particle dynamics, why do I need to buy motion builder and mudbox in order to get those tools? It is simply nonsensical.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #55
BigPixolin
Banned

c none
US

I can say after over 10 years of Max, and paying subscription since it started for multiple licenses. I am jumping ship and taking the seats at my office with me as I am the deciding factor A.S.A.P. I feel completely screwed over. This is what being violated feels like.
Autodesk is not getting our sub price increase. I will be discussing with the technical director about stopping future payments on the sub later today. I am looking into Modo and C4d for our product animations and motion graphics needs. It may be a over reaction, I have defended autodesk a hundred times in the past but frankly they can kiss my ass.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #56
mitchgates
Veteran
Mitch Gates
cg supervisor
Encore Hollywood
Los Angeles, USA

After thinking about this whole issue for a day I'm seriously considering cancelling my subscription. Very sad since I've been on it since day one and a 3ds user since DOS r2.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #57
kenpimentel
Lord of the posts

Ken Pimentel
Consultant
Pimentel Consulting
Sailing, United%2BStates

Send a message via MSN to kenpimentel
Why don't we try just giving us (Adsk) a few days to sort this out before reacting? We are working on the situation (no promises).

There's plenty of time to beat us up if we fail to do anything.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #58
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

It is not at all reasonable to restrict updated features to the Suite products, there's no reason other than greed on the part of Autodesk

Old 08-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #59
PsychoSilence
3Delicious

portfolio
Anselm von Seherr - Thoß
VFX Technical Director
Incendii VFX
New Orleans, USA

Send a message via ICQ to PsychoSilence
I am not posting more just yet, it would get nasty…

IF the toolboxes in their full scale are going to be available for Suite owners only (which barely any of the studios or individuals are) i consider this product(toolboxes) dicontinued… I get that Oleg can give out installers to already owners but what about future options to buy it as a plugin? Will people be forced into a suite if they didn't own it prior to 2013? So i get an additional array of tools that i will never touch or asked for? Not to mention that freelance artist are tighter on the budget then studios hence wouldn't buy. PFlow will loose all it’s remaining mojo. Nobody is gonna spend that much extra money for a toolset that was pretty much out of development for almost 4 years…….People who know my website, etc. might know that i hold up the torch for PFlow and Orbaz but it sure get's harder by the day. Very hard.

-Anselm

Old 08-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #60
PsychoSilence
3Delicious

portfolio
Anselm von Seherr - Thoß
VFX Technical Director
Incendii VFX
New Orleans, USA

Send a message via ICQ to PsychoSilence
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpimentel
Why don't we try just giving us (Adsk) a few days to sort this out before reacting? We are working on the situation (no promises).

There's plenty of time to beat us up if we fail to do anything.

Occupy AD booth at Siggraph? We are the 99% LOOOL

Thread Closed share thread