Gradient Ramp Stepping in 3dsmax

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2012   #1
Gradient Ramp Stepping in 3dsmax

Hi Guys,

When i use a gradient ramp in 3dsmax and put my color values really close to each other (see the image below) my render has some weird steps.

This a big issue when i use a gradient ramp in a reflection slot, i don't have a smooth gradient. It 's look like a sharp line.

MY 3dsmax is setup in a linear workflow.

Have you ever had this issue and if yes how did you solve it ?

Thanks for your help.

Roman

Old 08 August 2012   #2
I've seen this, and have it on one of my new monitors.

It could be a few things, but it's most likely the contrast ratio on your monitor, or you need to put the correct color profile for your monitor in windows.

Any chance it's a new monitor?

Old 08 August 2012   #3
The screen is not new. I don't think the screen is calibrated properly. But it only does that in 3dsmax. So would it really make a difference? I can see that happening on every computer of the company.

I think the problem come from 3dsmax itself :
3dsmax only have 256 colors value in his color picker. So when you are between 0 and 5 it only has 6 tons to use. Which is dumb, but i can't find anything that could solve that problem.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks for you help.
Roman

Old 08 August 2012   #4
I am assuming you are using a vRayMtl, I think your problem is the Cutoff threshold.

First off, using a setup similar to yours, you can see that the renderer is interpreting more colors than is being shown in the viewport. As you can see the render has more steps in the gradient than in the viewport or the material editor.

So applying that gradient to a plane reflecting a checker pattern i get a sharp cutoff, that I think is what problem you are encountering. Here is an image of the problem replicated.

The problem is that the difference between those values of black in a linear workflow are very small, and they are being cut off by a threshold in the vRray material. By changing the cuttoff threshold to 0.00 in the 'options' rollout of the material, you can see that the result is a smooth reflection, that is no longer being clipped.

Problem Fixed!

Old 08 August 2012   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread