Backburner error - "3ds max adapter error: The pipe has been ended."

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2012   #1
Angry Backburner error - "3ds max adapter error: The pipe has been ended."

Iím very angry at the moment! What the hell is going on with Backburner!?
Iíve submitted a job and it doesnít want to render because of this error:
ď3ds max adapter error: The pipe has been ended. 109Ē

Iím using Backburner 2012.1 on 3ds Max 2012 x64 with the latest SP and PU.
PLEASE HELP! Iím in a middle of a project and I canít get it done because of this stupid error!

Old 07 July 2012   #2
Is every system, including the manager, using the same version of backburner?

Old 07 July 2012   #3
I've assigned the job to render only on one PC - the one that I've submitted the job from. I can't get it to work on the master machine. No other servers have been assigned to the job.

Last edited by Sasho90 : 07 July 2012 at 10:30 PM.

Old 07 July 2012   #4
Have you installed max 2013 at any point? This started happening right across our render farm when I was testing max 2013. Some machines would render 2012 jobs fine but 'pipe has ended' on 2013 jobs, others were the other way round (would only render 2013 jobs). If you've installed 2013 on any of the machines with the manager or server on, I would maybe do a reinstall of 2012 over the top. A couple of mine would render 2013 jobs, but error on 2012 jobs - installing max 2012 after max 2013 fixed it, and they now render both...

Old 07 July 2012   #5
Yes, I have installed Max 2013 but I haven't installed Backburner along with it. I uninstalled all Backburner versions before installing Backburner 2012.

Old 07 July 2012   #6
I wasted an entire day wrestling with backburner yesterday. I did encounter this error at one point but I had gone through so many uninstalls/installs that I couldn't tell you what the specific criteria were to reproduce (or fix) it.

Thanks to some great advice we discovered that IPv6 was the biggest problem and once we'd disabled it on all of our systems things started working again. We still can't get the Automatic search function to work (on the Manager or the Monitor) so we have to manually specify the IP but at least we can submit renders again.

Backburner has been a headache for years now, I think we are going to have to accept that it will never be fixed and move over to a more stable third party solution such as Deadline.

Old 07 July 2012   #7
Originally Posted by AJ: We still can't get the Automatic search function to work (on the Manager or the Monitor) so we have to manually specify the IP

Automatic search never worked for me, not even when using backburner on a single machine.

Old 07 July 2012   #8
Originally Posted by AJ: I think we are going to have to accept that it will never be fixed and move over to a more stable third party solution such as Deadline.

I've never looked back! BB is ancient, Deadline is the way forward!

Old 07 July 2012   #9
Originally Posted by AJ: Thanks to some great advice we discovered that IPv6 was the biggest problem and once we'd disabled it on all of our systems things started working again.

I just tried disabling IPv6, restarted my PC and resubmitted the job. Didn't help.
Any other suggestions??

Old 07 July 2012   #10
Originally Posted by Sasho90: I just tried disabling IPv6, restarted my PC and resubmitted the job. Didn't help.
Any other suggestions??

Are you running it as a service? If so try stopping the service and running the server.exe.

Are you a subscription member?
M&E Division Beta Administrator
Autodesk, Inc

Old 07 July 2012   #11
Running it as a service? I don't even know what that means. I run Backburner through the .exe files in Program Files.

I am not a subscription member.

Old 07 July 2012   #12
Are you logged in as an administrator?
Autodesk, Inc

Old 07 July 2012   #13
Yes I am.
I tried disabling the firewall and deleting my antivirus program. That didn't help either.

Old 07 July 2012   #14
This error could occur when running BB as a service, I want to just confirm you are not setup this way first.

In services do you see a Backburner Server service?

Choose Start | Settings | Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Services: Backburner Server
Autodesk, Inc

Old 07 July 2012   #15
No, I don't find "Backburner server" in Services.

Thread Closed share thread