POV Camera Animation

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2012   #1
POV Camera Animation

Hello everyone,
I've trying to test and understand the camera POV movement that begins at 2:29 they created in the Dishonored Debut Trailer. My objective for the short that I'm developing is based in a POV Camera. I've been using a dummy helper constrained to a path but the results are very mechanic until now. I want my camera to be the eyes of my character and I want it to be able to reflect an realistic human behavior through it. After I saw this trailer I really got interested in figuring out how they created it. His there any plug in or any tip someone can give me or the best solution is to constrained to an animated character with all the movements?
Thank you all for your help.
Cheers

Old 06 June 2012   #2
Post few possibilities..

They must have linked the camera to a head of a mocaped rig. there is another app that lets you control your max camera using your i device : http://www.youcandoitvfx.com/?page_id=24 hope this info will help.

Old 06 June 2012   #3
He is a friend of mine. I know the tool very well. I also imagine they used a mocap so perhaps ill have to do something similar. Does motion builder ofers better solutions? Thank you for THE reply.

Old 06 June 2012   #4
Originally Posted by VTeixeira: He is a friend of mine. I know the tool very well. I also imagine they used a mocap so perhaps ill have to do something similar. Does motion builder ofers better solutions? Thank you for THE reply.

Please do ask him for me, when do the Android version is coming. Thy must have used mocap cause it is a long sequence and manual animation of that much realistic animation takes awful amount of time. I really don't know abt motion builder much. but if they have used mocap to do the animation, they surely must have used motion builder to cleanup and tweak it.

Old 06 June 2012   #5
I'll talk to him.
Cheers

Old 06 June 2012   #6
Hi guys, thanks for your kind words!

I have no plans to do an Android version of iDevCam.... sorry but at least for now you really need an iPhone, iPad or iPod :(

Cheers!
http://www.ycdivfx.com

Old 09 September 2012   #7
Hi guys,
I don't have any solution, I'm looking for the same thing, my short is from a POV and I would love to have a realistic camera.
I think that in your example they took a real camera with a steadycam and they shot what they needed. Then they use boujou or something else to convert it into a 3D camera.

I don't have a steadycam so I was wondering if someone had an idea to fake it?

Thank you!

Old 09 September 2012   #8
I missed the first run of this thread, but I have an excellent technique that is very easy to do!

Use a camera, and actually shoot the camera move you wish. Then track that camera, and bring it in to your 3D scene.

You don't need to worry about the perfect accuracy of your track, because it is not going to interact with your plate footage at all, all the footage was use for was to generate the camera move.

This way you can make a bunch of camera moves in minuets!

Old 09 September 2012   #9
Thank you,

So if I have a one minute shot, I should shoot it with a real camera in a room filled with tracking points. Then I use a tracking software to convert it into a 3d camera and then I use this 3d cam in 3ds max?
I have a very long and complicated shot, do you think it could still work?
My POV is supposed to be a dog one... If you have any advice don't hesitate!

Thanks again!

Last edited by welou : 12 December 2012 at 10:02 AM.

Old 12 December 2012   #10
Hey,

I just wanted to let you know that I'm still looking for advice and a confirmation about this method.

Thanks!

Old 12 December 2012   #11
Originally Posted by welou: Thank you,

So if I have a one minute shot, I should shoot it with a real camera in a room filled with tracking points. Then I use a tracking software to convert it into a 3d camera and then I use this 3d cam in 3ds max?
I have a very long and complicated shot, do you think it could still work?

I'm pretty sure this might still work... after all you could easily move and stretch your keys to better fit your scene, plus adding another animation layer on top to change the more general movement (or hit your correct targets).

Old 12 December 2012   #12
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread