Export from 3ds Max 2012 to DXF causes angle issue

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2012   #1
Export from 3ds Max 2012 to DXF causes angle issue

Good afternoon everyone,

I am currently doing some line drawings for some designs I am working on in 3ds Max 2012 and I am having issues when exporting them as DXF R12 and importing into other CAD programs or Illustrator. When they are imported the entire drawing appears at an angle rather than from a top down view and I can't figure out why. Any help with this would be great!

Actually Illustrator wont even open my DXF files. It will open the drawing if it is exported as DWG 2000 but it still shows up angled.

I am using 3ds Max 2012 without any updates currently. I had to upload my files up to my web server due to them being over the max size for attachment here.

http://www.whirlwindproduction.com/exportIssue.zip

Regards,

Frank

Old 05 May 2012   #2
Maybe an Xform issue? Go to the hammer menu and you'll see a "reset Xform" button, try using that and collapsing down to edit spline and see if it helps.

Old 05 May 2012   #3
I converted everything to spline, did the reset xform and converted them to spline again after that. So I don't think that is the issue, but I will try again and report back.

Thanks!

Old 05 May 2012   #4
It isn't the splines that are angled it is just the default 3d view that gets saved when you export to dwg or dxf. If you switch to top view in whatever cad program you are using and then re-save the file everything should be ok.

Old 05 May 2012   #5
Originally Posted by gfh: It isn't the splines that are angled it is just the default 3d view that gets saved when you export to dwg or dxf. If you switch to top view in whatever cad program you are using and then re-save the file everything should be ok.

Your correct it seems. I was trying a new AutoCAD program and seems it was importing it at that odd angle. After figuring out how to set the camera angle the view is correct again.

Is there a way to set which 3d view is used when you export it from 3ds Max?

Old 05 May 2012   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread