Quad Chamfer modifer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2012
Quad Chamfer modifer

Hey guys I released the Quad Chamfer modifier. It is the succesor of the Quad Chamfer maxscript, improving on by:

Speed. Being a native c++ plugin now it allows you to modify chamfers in real time.

Control. You can determine the look of your chamfers by controling their sharpness/roundness.

Robustness. A robust new algorithm allows you to chamfer any edge combinations without unpredictable results.

Flexibility. You don’t have to commit to any chamfer, you can always change them later.

Workflow. With the new “Use Smoothing Groups” option you can chamfer the sharp edge between smoothing groups. This allows you to go under the Quad Chamfer modifier and make changes to the topology without destroying your chamfers.

More here http://www.mariussilaghi.com/qchamfermod.htm

I released 1.01 today, people who upgraded should have gotten the email with the update.
1.01 - Fixes a crash when chamfering around triangles or n-gons

I am making this thread here because I want to announce updates and get feedback.

05 May 2012
what's the license for this? node locked ? site ?

05 May 2012
Originally Posted by Gravey: what's the license for this? node locked ? site ?

one license = one user

05 May 2012
I released version 1.02.

1.02 - Adds a Quad Intersection option to remove n-gons and triangles at intersecting edges

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaVd6oFsZRs

05 May 2012
Thumbs up

Excellent, Thank you!

05 May 2012
I released 1.03.

1.03 - Adds a Chamfer by Edge Weights option

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0UYIrRERWI

05 May 2012
Variable Chamfers in 1.04

1.04 - Improves the Chamfer by Edge Weights option by allowing variable chamfers

- Fixes a crash when open chamfering with turbosmooth on top

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD3tcG9JwRg

05 May 2012
Now that's very interesting. Thanks.

05 May 2012
Originally Posted by obliviboy: allowing variable chamfers

This is absolutely fantastic! Does this work only by weighing edges? Or does it work with weights of single vertices as well?

Before you've implemented variable chamfers I was going to ask for a feature I remember from nPower's PowerNurbs (I think), where you could define different chamfer radii along an edge (although not only at vertices, but as freely placed "helpers") to get a smooth transition from wide to narrow chamfers. Would this work with your weight approach - if only at vertices? To extend on this I'm imagining a script that takes a continuous edge selection (not a closed loop), you enter a start and end weight, and it automatically assigns weights to the vertices along the selection (taking vertex-distances / edge-lengths into account) to evenly transition from the start to the end weight. Adding this functionality to the actual modifier would of course be even more awesome

Alright, enough with the demands... great work!!

05 May 2012
Originally Posted by Laserschwert: This is absolutely fantastic! Does this work only by weighing edges? Or does it work with weights of single vertices as well?
Only weighted edges for now. There is actually a benefit to using edges over vertices. Lets say you have a vertex where 5 edges intersect and you want to chamfer them. If you weight the edges you can have a different radius for each edge, but if you weight the vertex you only have on radius along the edges that connect to it. So weighting edges gives you more control in some cases.

Originally Posted by Laserschwert: Before you've implemented variable chamfers I was going to ask for a feature I remember from nPower's PowerNurbs (I think), where you could define different chamfer radii along an edge (although not only at vertices, but as freely placed "helpers") to get a smooth transition from wide to narrow chamfers. Would this work with your weight approach - if only at vertices?
It works only with nurbs surfaces. With polygons I will have to add edges across the chamfer to support the change in radius.

Originally Posted by Laserschwert: To extend on this I'm imagining a script that takes a continuous edge selection (not a closed loop), you enter a start and end weight, and it automatically assigns weights to the vertices along the selection (taking vertex-distances / edge-lengths into account) to evenly transition from the start to the end weight. Adding this functionality to the actual modifier would of course be even more awesome

Alright, enough with the demands... great work!!
This can be done. I've been thinking about a script were you can have weights groups for the edges and it will select the edges with these weights for you automatically allowing you to make quick edits.

05 May 2012
Originally Posted by obliviboy: Only weighted edges for now. There is actually a benefit to using edges over vertices. Lets say you have a vertex where 5 edges intersect and you want to chamfer them. If you weight the edges you can have a different radius for each edge, but if you weight the vertex you only have on radius along the edges that connect to it. So weighting edges gives you more control in some cases.

Alright, technically you can get different weights on the two vertices of an edge (B), by changing them on the edges (A) and (C) on either side of that edge (B).

Originally Posted by obliviboy: It works only with nurbs surfaces. With polygons I will have to add edges across the chamfer to support the change in radius.
I understand that different radii between vertices won't work. But defining a separate radius (or weight) for each vertex along an edge selection would be a VERY cool feature.

Originally Posted by obliviboy: This can be done. I've been thinking about a script were you can have weights groups for the edges and it will select the edges with these weights for you automatically allowing you to make quick edits.
This is not entirely what I meant, but very useful as well. Of course it would be more convenient to manage vertex groups within the modifier itself (like vertex groups in the Cloth modifier, for example). Just like having "vertex" and "edge" sub objects within the modifier to change weights (so that they don't have to be changed in the EditablePoly underneath). Of course that's easy for me to say, as I don't have to code that

05 May 2012
Originally Posted by Laserschwert: Alright, technically you can get different weights on the two vertices of an edge (B), by changing them on the edges (A) and (C) on either side of that edge (B).
Yeah it can work this way, but it gets too complex for the user to use it. Also for this thing it needs a new user interface separate from editable poly and I can't add it in the quad chamfer modifier.

Originally Posted by Laserschwert: I understand that different radii between vertices won't work. But defining a separate radius (or weight) for each vertex along an edge selection would be a VERY cool feature.
I will see what I can do about this.

Originally Posted by Laserschwert: This is not entirely what I meant, but very useful as well. Of course it would be more convenient to manage vertex groups within the modifier itself (like vertex groups in the Cloth modifier, for example). Just like having "vertex" and "edge" sub objects within the modifier to change weights (so that they don't have to be changed in the EditablePoly underneath). Of course that's easy for me to say, as I don't have to code that
I would have to create a edit poly like modifier with quad chamfer it to menage selections, edit, cuts etc. Way to complex for me to code just for this.

05 May 2012
Vladimir Kuksenko made a video tutorial explaining the features and benefits of the Quad Chamfer modifier.

Watch it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuHzcHQIJoY

Thread Closed share thread