Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 04-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #1
Astralogic
Veteran

portfolio
nameless one
nameless city, United Kingdom

Loft: can't get shape

Hi, I have a spline selected and then click loft, but the Get Shape button is greyed out. Why could this be, I have performed between 5 to 10 lofts then this spline decides to be an anarchist.

I created the spline from the grey object you see below, I selected the edges/corners in a loop and created a spline from the shape (the same thing I did in all the other lofts).

Here's a screen:

EDIT: I didn't think the screenshot would get so uselessly shrunk, sorry.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
Holzi
Frequenter
portfolio
Christian Holz
3D Artist / Medieninformatiker
Stuttgart, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astralogic
Hi, I have a spline selected and then click loft, but the Get Shape button is greyed out. Why could this be, I have performed between 5 to 10 lofts then this spline decides to be an anarchist.

you are in the creation tab. Go to the modifiers tab (the second one with the blue thingy). There, in the actual objects modifier, get the shape and path
Quote:
EDIT: I didn't think the screenshot would get so uselessly shrunk, sorry.

Don't worry, people here are used to that and know the "right click -> show image" trick

Old 04-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
Astralogic
Veteran

portfolio
nameless one
nameless city, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holzi
you are in the creation tab. Go to the modifiers tab (the second one with the blue thingy). There, in the actual objects modifier, get the shape and path

Don't worry, people here are used to that and know the "right click -> show image" trick

Ah the good old right click menu, I didn't think of that, makes sense really otherwise including images in ones post would be useless.

I'm afraid there's no such thing on my modify tab, take a look:

EDIT: I did had this problem before but I'm not sure what I did to fix it, if anything. I am pretty sure there is something wrong with the spline. If I select the shape and loft the two the other way around it will not let me select the spline as a shape. Also the spline has three or four yellow vertices, and I don't know what that means.

EDIT 2: After taking a real close look at this spline I've discovered that it's a real mess. There's vertexes and segment piled up all over the place. Looks like this is the problem (I hope). I'm off to do some tidying

Last edited by Astralogic : 04-18-2012 at 11:41 AM.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
Holzi
Frequenter
portfolio
Christian Holz
3D Artist / Medieninformatiker
Stuttgart, Germany

That might be an issue.

but you could also try "sweep" unter 'modifiers' does nearly the same thing as far as I can work out

Old 01-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #5
Wifirex
Veteran

portfolio
Cameron Alexander Greatorex
3d Character Artist
(self)
Berlin, Germany

Unhappy Another loft issue

Hi guys, I have a problem relating to lofts, so I thought I'd put it in here.

I've tried using loft to create a specific shape (the head of a spoon), but nothing seems to work. I created an ellipse and an arc (one for the boarder and one for the loft path), but loft insists on giving me silly results. I have tried exchanging path/shape variables, and none of the other loft options seem to change anything. Any ideas on how to make a spoon head with an ellipse and an arc? Thankyou

Old 01-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread