Dual Xeon 64 cores support???

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2012   #16
You could always email Vlado (maker of vray)

He's been known to make custom versions of vray for people with problems like this. (For nothing!) Maybe it's hard to break the 32 core barrier, but you never know unless you try.

Old 03 March 2012   #17
I asked Vlado Koylazov and he says it has a limit of 256 threads, not 32.
M&E Division Beta Administrator
Autodesk, Inc

Old 03 March 2012   #18
You need Windows Server 2008 if you want support for more than 32 threads. The regular versions of Windows 7 support only up to 32 cores.

V-Ray itself works fine with 64 cores and we have tested this here. However for quad-processor machines based on NUMA architecture (like some AMD systems) it is better to run several separate render processes.

Best regards,
Vlado

Last edited by thev : 03 March 2012 at 10:33 PM.

Old 03 March 2012   #19
Can this be automated?
And how much ram should a 64 core machine have?

Old 03 March 2012   #20
Well, you gotta divide the ram by teh cores. then you know how much ram each core has to perform it's task. with 64 cores 64 gig ram means every core gets only 1 gig to do it's thing! So you wanna have at last 128 or better 256 gig of ram.

Part of the reason why a fast quad machine with 32 gig ram will be way faster then a 64 core machine is that every thread gets 4 gig of ram! (4 cores > 8 threads, 32 gig/8=4gig)

Old 03 March 2012   #21
Hey Vlado, thanks for the reply.

So in this article are wrong?

“However, like most modern rendering engines, V-Ray is fully multi-threaded, and therefore likes lots of CPU cores. In fact, the program scales almost linearly with the addition of every CPU core up to its limit of 32. (A few comparative speed tests on a machine equipped with a single 3.33GHz Core i7-980X processor – the desktop equivalent of the X5650 – confirmed the near-linear scaling of performance from six to twelve CPU cores.)”

Source:
http://www.cgchannel.com/2011/06/re...-0-for-3ds-max/

So the best OS its Windows server for my renderfarm????
I dont know why in the monitor shows 32 CPUs, and when turn of the server, automatically in the task manager the CPU 3 and 4 turns off.
Thats correct or still have a problem here??

I think the configuration of the PC its maybe wrong, because I test my Dual Xeon 2.8Ghz (24 cores) 24 cores vs the Quad Opteron 2.2Ghz (64 cores) 32 ram with Real Flow and the Xeon its more faster that the Opteron.
Looking the 64 cores and 32 ram you think that the Opteron will run faster, but now.

Could be the windows server or what could it be???
Definitly its the RAM???

Last edited by paco33 : 03 March 2012 at 04:19 PM.

Old 03 March 2012   #22
Wasnt there some command line you could type in maxscript to enable/disable the amount of cores used... Maybe that could help?

I dont remember the command, but im sure someone else following this topic wil know.

Old 03 March 2012   #23
Originally Posted by paco33: So in this article are wrong?
They are indeed wrong.

Quote: So the best OS its Windows server for my renderfarm????
Do all your machines have 64 cores?

Quote: I dont know why in the monitor shows 32 CPUs, and when turn of the server, automatically in the task manager the CPU 3 and 4 turns off. Thats correct or still have a problem here??
Not sure I understood what you say here?

Quote: I think the configuration of the PC its maybe wrong, because I test my Dual Xeon 2.8Ghz (24 cores) 24 cores vs the Quad Opteron 2.2Ghz (64 cores) 32 ram with Real Flow and the Xeon its more faster that the Opteron.
I mentioned this in my previous post. Quad-processor Opteron machines are built on a NUMA architecture meaning that the RAM is divided in pieces and each piece is connected to a particular processor. When one of the processors needs data from the memory attached to another processor things get very very slow. These machines are server machines, built to handle lots of processes (separate programs) like what you get in a web server, they are NOT meant to be used for workstations where one single program uses all the processors and RAM. Think of it has having four completely separate machines put into one box. When they work on separate tasks, things are fine and smooth. When they need to wait for data exchange to work on the same thing, things are extremely slow.

Quote: Looking the 64 cores and 32 ram you think that the Opteron will run faster, but now. Could be the windows server or what could it be??? Definitly its the RAM???
See the above From our own tests, the quad Opteron machine is usually (much) slower when you run the same program on all processors. It's much more efficient to run serveral simultanous renders, each running on only one processor.

Best regards,
Vlado

Last edited by thev : 03 March 2012 at 09:49 PM.

Old 03 March 2012   #24
Hey Vlado, thanks for your help, mean a lot!.

Well, only 2 machines have 64 cores.

The workstations are 24 cores, 16, 8 cores.
I know that i need to buy more ram.

Now I understand a lot more why are so slow render.

What do you recomend me??? still using the machines live renderfarm but turn in on and off the processos depending the job???

Or its there a way to configure the processors to have 4 independent CPUs? that can be done???

Thanks Again

I have another problem besides that.
At the first time, the machines whas working on window 7 and the rendertimes whas (1.40) vs my dual xeon (1:20).

Then I installed windows server 2008 and the render times whas (3:40-4:20)

So i go back to windows 7 and the render times are 6(:30-7:00).

I dont know what its happening!!!

Last edited by paco33 : 03 March 2012 at 08:17 PM.

Old 03 March 2012   #25
Originally Posted by thev: However for quad-processor machines based on NUMA architecture (like some AMD systems) it is better to run several separate render processes.

Is there a way to determine whether and in what way ones CPU uses the numa architecture? The google search didn't really give me a water proof answer. Though I found one very very interesting article about the differences in NUMA architectures.

That said, how would one controll that in the best possible ways? Here at work we sometimes encounter such perfomance problems too. Though it seems very scene dependant. Some of our scenes render on our 'workstations' (8core i7 with 16GB ram) quicker than our proper slaves (dual xeon x5650 with 24 threads and 12/24 gb ram)?
And do I get you right? those big rendermachines with 24 threads should have way more than the 12 and 24 gig of ram they have at the moment?

Old 03 March 2012   #26
Hmmm...this thread has been very useful for my own research, thanks guys.

I've been debating on building a render farm as well, and I was trying to figure out what would be the most cost effective thing to do. At this point I've pretty much decided that instead of building server boxes with 4 processors or 2 processors, I'm going to build a bunch of i7 2600 boxes, and focus on more separate boxes with one processor.

Now I guess the question would be, do I actually NEED hyperthreading, or can I save $100 a processor and use say, the i5 3.3ghz part?

Old 03 March 2012   #27
Hyperthreading does help considerably when rendering

Old 06 June 2012   #28
MR and V-Ray CORE Limitation

Dear Friends,
i searched a lot in the forums and hope finally one you can solve my issue,
i have 40Core machine ( 4xXeon E7-8870 (10-core 20 Treat) ) totally 40-cores and 80 Treats .
256 GB of Ecc Reg 1333MHz ( Operat at 1066MHz).

When am rendering (Mental Ray and V-ray Both) with Hyper-thread ON, it will render just with 32 Core with CPU usage of 20-30% .
When am rendering (Mental Ray and V-ray Both) with Hyper-thread Off, it will render just with 32 Core with CPU usage of 40-55% .

i even Lunched 2 and 3 time 3dsmax and rendered in all 3 at same time to over load the machine and allow them use the rest silent CPU but still same its just using 32 Core but with more CPU usage.

i can see all my 80 Treat in task manager all 80 Core has been detected under the predecessor tab in device manager.

Can you tell me what is wrong in my calculation ? is really mental ray and Vray are limited to 32 core ?

Thanks.

Old 06 June 2012   #29
Smile MR and V-Ray CORE Limitation

Dear Friends,
i searched a lot in the forums and hope finally one of you can solve my issue,
i have 40Core machine ( 4xXeon E7-8870 (10-core 20 Treat) ) totally 40-cores and 80 Treats .
256 GB of Ecc Reg 1333MHz ( Operat at 1066MHz).

When am rendering (Mental Ray and V-ray Both) with Hyper-thread ON, it will render just with 32 Core with CPU usage of 20-30% .
When am rendering (Mental Ray and V-ray Both) with Hyper-thread Off, it will render just with 32 Core with CPU usage of 40-55% .

i even Lunched 2 and 3 time 3dsmax and rendered in all 3 at same time to over load the machine and allow them use the rest silent CPU but still same its just using 32 Core but with more CPU usage.

i can see all my 80 Treat in task manager all 80 Core has been detected under the predecessor tab in device manager.

Can you tell me what is wrong in my calculation ? is really mental ray and Vray are limited to 32 core ?

Thanks.

Old 06 June 2012   #30
Originally Posted by thev: You need Windows Server 2008 if you want support for more than 32 threads. The regular versions of Windows 7 support only up to 32 cores.

V-Ray itself works fine with 64 cores and we have tested this here. However for quad-processor machines based on NUMA architecture (like some AMD systems) it is better to run several separate render processes.

Best regards,
Vlado

i think you might have this problem

Thread Closed share thread