Old 01-29-2012, 11:03 PM   #16
Intars5d
Frequenter

portfolio
Intars Kocesevs
CG artist
Riga, Latvia

Quote:
I guess that Arch-vis would find it useful carries a lot more weight at Autodesk than other areas might.

Will there be a day when max may shine upon in such fields as character animation and dynamics? Wouldn't that be something ?

Old 01-30-2012, 05:42 AM   #17
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

Old 01-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #18
jonadb
3D Artist

Jonathan de Blok
Netherlands

Come on people.. I've been a beta tester for a couple of months now so I can't speak of any details but I can say that there are a lot of passionate people working very hard on this and I think a lot of you seriously underestimate what it takes to overhaul and develop a piece of software like Max.

And rest assured the beta testers are really not taking it easy on them but I think they deserve a little more credit then they are getting here!

My 0.02$

Old 01-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #19
Steve Green
Reworking my Reel
Steve Green
Freelance 3D Artist
United Kingdom

I didn't really want this to turn into an AD bashing thread, it was more an observation that there doesn't seem to be the excitement about new releases these days, and what the reasons might be for that.

I think AD do have an image problem with a portion of their users, not sure what they can do about that though.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:52 PM   #20
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonadb
Come on people.. I've been a beta tester for a couple of months now so I can't speak of any details but I can say that there are a lot of passionate people working very hard on this and I think a lot of you seriously underestimate what it takes to overhaul and develop a piece of software like Max.

And rest assured the beta testers are really not taking it easy on them but I think they deserve a little more credit then they are getting here!

My 0.02$

Yes, I know this. I realize that dev staff has little or nothing to do with marketing and business decisions. But it's pretty clear that ADSK is more concerned with putting lipstick on a pig than in incorporating actually useful and updated features. Their focus is more about getting a few "gee-whiz" features added that will satisfy subscribers and look cool at a Siggraph demo, but have little value in the real world.

Don't even talk to me until they do something about the completely ancient UV editor. Hopefully they will also revert some of the atrocious UI "updates" (I'm looking at you, caddies, material editor & 'select by name' box) they added for no reason at all. And the material browser actually used to be clear and useful - now it's just junk. It's all become just a styling exercise, like automobiles: Few real technical innovations, lots of flashy bullshit that looks good on the showroom floor.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:32 PM   #21
Steve Green
Reworking my Reel
Steve Green
Freelance 3D Artist
United Kingdom

Hi Richard,

I'm not sure what you mean by some of your statements - the old mat-ed is still there, and doesn't seem to be any different from what it used to be, (although I find it increasingly slow to navigate these days)

The Unwrapper did get an update in 2012, but it's not something I do a lot of these days, supposed to be chuggy from what I've read, but it did get an update.

My big problem with Max (and this extends way back, not just the past couple of years) is that they haven't really capitalised on areas where they created something a bit different, e.g. the modifier stack hasn't changed much, particle flow hasn't progressed other than bundling Box 1 or some presets.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #22
pixelforge
Frequenter

Chip Matthews
Generalist
O-Zone, Inc.
Grand Rapids, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artbot
Yes, I know this. I realize that dev staff has little or nothing to do with marketing and business decisions. But it's pretty clear that ADSK is more concerned with putting lipstick on a pig than in incorporating actually useful and updated features. Their focus is more about getting a few "gee-whiz" features added that will satisfy subscribers and look cool at a Siggraph demo, but have little value in the real world.

There have probably been more features introduced in that last two to three releases that have had a radical and positive impact on my workflow than at any other time in the past decade, so no, it's not "pretty clear" at all.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #23
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Green
Hi Richard,

I'm not sure what you mean by some of your statements - the old mat-ed is still there, and doesn't seem to be any different from what it used to be, (although I find it increasingly slow to navigate these days)

The Unwrapper did get an update in 2012, but it's not something I do a lot of these days, supposed to be chuggy from what I've read, but it did get an update.

Well, you kind of reinforced my point. I use the old mat-ed. The new one is slow and clumsy. But the new 'material/map browser' is also terribad (but sadly, non-revertable). I've reverted to the old 'select by name' window, too as the new one is a mess (and still doesn't save your sorting mode).

So many functions are slow to load. And the new caddies (which break from every UI convention in the program and are stupidly slow to load), well, they should be taken out to a field and shot.

Unwrapper basically took all the 3rd party icon scripts and implemented them. It's slightly better than it was, but many functions aren't hot-keyable, which is a huge shortcoming. But they still refuse to address some really basic stuff, like making the default map in the UV editor the actual map on the object.

And Chip, I'd like to see specific functions you find to be an improvement. I'll admit the "set flow" in Graphite tools is nice, but that horrible, screen-eating, slow UI ribbon just blows. And copying Maya's axis constraint for snapping is nice to see. But I still contend these are very minimal upgrades for the outrageous subscription price.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #24
DanHibiki
Expert

portfolio
- -
Senior 3d Animator
Invivo communications
Richmond Hill, Canada

I'd rather they get stuff to run better then some broken new feature that I can do with a script anyway?

Old 01-30-2012, 09:28 PM   #25
pixelforge
Frequenter

Chip Matthews
Generalist
O-Zone, Inc.
Grand Rapids, USA

SAT import alone has probably saved me hundreds of hours since it was added. I do a lot of work for a company that works in Pro-E. I used to have to take obj exports from them and use them as a template to completely rebuild the models. Now more often than not I can use their models as is. That's a huge deal for me.

The conform brushes have been very useful to me. The Graphite tools in general has added a ton of useful features that I use all the time. Sure, this stuff was available 3rd party previously, but it's new to me - and at no extra cost.

Viewport canvas, while not up to the task of full texture painting (the brush engine is just too clunky), is excellent for painting masks and seam touch up and I use it frequently.

Nitrous - love it. Working with assemblies with thousands of parts used to be unbelievably painful. The improvements on that score are another thing that has saved me a ton of time (and gray hairs),

The ribbon took me a long time to get used to, but now I use it more than the sidebar. It's faster. Same story with the new MatEd. I still use the compact one the most, but find the new one is great for building and editing complex materials, especially when using a lot of instanced maps.

I use Composite frequently now - another great addition for no additonal cost.

Probably the only recent change I hate is the new material/map browser. That thing is god awful. Caddies I can live with. I've gotten used to them. UV tools I don't have to use a lot, but peel has been really useful when I do.

Are any of these features as good as they could be? No. What tool ever is? But all of this stuff has saved me time and money and made the work I do faster and more efficient which means the jobs I do are more profitable. I find that hard to complain about, personally.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #26
mynewcat
Feels the need for speed!

portfolio
Justin Dowling
Freelancer
JD3D CGI
Bristol, United Kingdom

I think you already hit the nail on the head Steve - we tend to get a lot of information and dialogue these days anyway, so we don't build up into a February speculation climax any more.

The blogs are decent, there is a lot more transparency and we have that little feature-submission website thingy they implemented; So you can kind of see what is jostling it's way to the top in terms of things the average user may wish for or speculate on.

That then creates a line between what we might know about, and what's being kept in secret and would be guarded anyway.

I think KP has done a pretty good job of keeping us informed since he started, and some of the more petty arguments seem to have fizzled out for the most part.

Some of the speculations used to annoy me though, swerving between the "why don't they just fix it?" crowd to the "I need RealFlowHairFX built into it" lot.

Also, we are all going through a period where we know fully well they are doing a hell of a lot under the hood (and it's boring for the average user) & we know they tried and gave up creating a new 3D application.

So I would say, correct me if I'm wrong, that we're in an unusually stable period where we can see further into the horizon than we ever have.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:04 PM   #27
Diffus3d
Mad Scientist

portfolio
Alfred (AJ) DeFlaminis
3ds Max Tech Support
Autodesk
USA

[QUOTE=Artbot]Well, you kind of reinforced my point. I use the old mat-ed. The new one is slow and clumsy. But the new 'material/map browser' is also terribad (but sadly, non-revertable). I've reverted to the old 'select by name' window, too as the new one is a mess (and still doesn't save your sorting mode).

It IS revertable! I use the old map browser and Select by Name menu in 2012.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:38 AM   #28
artishtry
portfolio
anusorn
Thailand

2012 Have M rigid (like physx Apex rigidbody plugin for maya 2011)

2013 Have M Cloth/soft body (like physx Apex Cloth plugin for maya 2012)

2014 have M Liquid (like physx Apex fluid plugin for maya 2013)
-
-
2020 is Perfect !!

Old 01-31-2012, 09:13 AM   #29
savat
Expert
portfolio
salvo triolo
Italy

Send a message via MSN to savat

Quote:
Originally Posted by artishtry
2012 Have M rigid (like physx Apex rigidbody plugin for maya 2011)

2013 Have M Cloth/soft body (like physx Apex Cloth plugin for maya 2012)

2014 have M Liquid (like physx Apex fluid plugin for maya 2013)
-
-
2020 is Perfect !!

yes, but maya 2019 was first

Old 01-31-2012, 10:46 AM   #30
AJ
Totoro

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Alex Jefferies
Director
MDI Digital Ltd
Norwich, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artbot
I use the old mat-ed. The new one is slow and clumsy.
I personally find the slate editor infinitely better than the old material browser. The tabbed material views, node connections & ability to layout materials visually has saved me countless hours.

I think this highlights one of the major problems with software updates in general - every workflow (and expectation) differs.

Thread Closed share thread