reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 06-19-2013, 11:12 AM   #46
spacefrog
Frog of the posts

Josef Wienerroither
Freelance
Vienna, Austria

Simple:
You have are using the Max internal make preview with a quality setting of "1". ( The slider in the "Make Preview" render options. Quality "1" is the lowest quality, increase it at least to 16 or higher ( but that takes longer of course ). The Timebudgetslider is irrelevant in that mode..

Ahhhh - wait:

I remember, Max 2012 is not able to improve the quality of the internal make Preview ( which you are using in the screenshot ). This is a Max 2012 limitation, Max 2013 and upwards allows you the increase the quality level using the slider, hence it is disabled in Max 2012

Conclusion: in Max 2012 you are only able to get refined Preview using PowerPreview's own "Grab Viewport" method. There was no other way at all to render out progressively refined Viewport quality in Max 2012

And i would recommend updating to the latest PowerPreview version, this still is compatible with Max 2012...

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Last edited by spacefrog : 06-19-2013 at 11:17 AM.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #47
danfitchie
portfolio
Daniel Fitchie
United Kingdom

I noticed the bar when I first tried using the script, unfortunately it is not selectable for me, I thought that was intentional to be honest. It is locked in it's position. How do you use the slider?

Old 06-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #48
spacefrog
Frog of the posts

Josef Wienerroither
Freelance
Vienna, Austria

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfitchie
I noticed the bar when I first tried using the script, unfortunately it is not selectable for me, I thought that was intentional to be honest. It is locked in it's position. How do you use the slider?

Read my post again :
it's disabled when PowerPreview is running in Max 2012 by purpose, because Max 2012 does'nt allow to change the internal preview quality. Eitehr use the other method PowerPreview provides ( "Grab Viewport" ) which allows higher quality, or change to Max 2013 or higher

Old 06-19-2013, 12:07 PM   #49
danfitchie
portfolio
Daniel Fitchie
United Kingdom

Apologies, I don't know if you edited your previous post whilst I was replying, but the second half of your post wasn't there when I first replied, making it redundent. I am getting some decent results rendering to PNG at the moment using the Grab Viewport method, although not touching another app whilst it's running is a mighty task . Im sure before today I had access to Mpeg4 and xvid codec when choosing avi as output, which seems to have disappeared now, but nevermind looks like Ill be doing some after effecting

Thanks for the help.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #50
MichaelWBell
Michael Wentworth-Bell

portfolio
Michael Wentworth-Bell
Motion Graphics / 3D Artist
Reel Pictures
Melbourne, Australia

Good luck with your project! hope you post an update later on. Liked the style from what I saw in your screengrab

My Folio website
LODE Facebook page

Old 07-29-2013, 07:16 AM   #51
Davy
Digital Nature
Davy Beunckens
Artist and Developer
Belgium

Iteration Limit is not working for me. Whatever value I set, it always advances to the next frame by the time limit. I don't want to use the time limit since my scene takes a while to generate at each frame.

When I switch to Make Preview, it does use the Quality slider. But I want to use the Grab Viewport method.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:33 AM   #52
spacefrog
Frog of the posts

Josef Wienerroither
Freelance
Vienna, Austria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy
Iteration Limit is not working for me. Whatever value I set, it always advances to the next frame by the time limit. I don't want to use the time limit since my scene takes a while to generate at each frame.

When I switch to Make Preview, it does use the Quality slider. But I want to use the Grab Viewport method.

PowerPreview always advances when one of the two limits is reached first, be it the Iteration limit or the time limit. So if you want be sure to hit the iteration limit, drag your timeslider to the longest timespan possible. This is 90 seconds currently

If you Viewport iterations do not reach their limit within this timespan, it seems i underestimated people's scenes complexity
Another thing is that Nitrous does not refine forever, it has some hard iteration limit internally, but i do not know the exact number. I guess it's somewhere in the thousands, so my 8192 upper limit is a rough guess of that...

Old 07-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #53
Davy
Digital Nature
Davy Beunckens
Artist and Developer
Belgium

Then it would be great to have an unlimited option for time (or at least about 10-15 mins) as sometimes generating some objects can take time. I am talking about objects with several million polys

Or at least give a choice, either time or quality limit (or both).

That is the only thing for me that keeps me from using it as it's better than the build-in previewer

Old 07-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #54
spacefrog
Frog of the posts

Josef Wienerroither
Freelance
Vienna, Austria

Curious: are you using it for stills or for animation previews ?
I can imagine the highest timelimit being hit to early for large stills in complex situations so i think rasing the max timelimit would be the best. Or better allowing to enter a manual entry in the textfield with a far higher limit, otherwise the timeslider would become useless in quick preview situations...

In the meantime you can use the following command via Maxscript Listener ( PowerPreview has to be open for this to work...)

Code:
powerpreview.currentproject.stepdelay=<delay in ms>

so the following would set powerpreview to use 180 secs per step
Code:
powerpreview.currentproject.stepdelay=180000

This MXS interface is still only in it's early stage so please don't expect other things to work
But setting the time works already, as i have tested just before posting this...

Last edited by spacefrog : 07-29-2013 at 01:13 PM.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #55
Davy
Digital Nature
Davy Beunckens
Artist and Developer
Belgium

For animations. The long time intervals is for development reasons and not a real scenario.

The script interface might be enough, I'll try.

I just don't understand the Iteration Limit button. Does it take the Iteration Limit into consideration only when active so in an off state, only the time limit is active?

How about using codecs as now it saves lossless without codec I assume?

Old 07-29-2013, 05:41 PM   #56
spacefrog
Frog of the posts

Josef Wienerroither
Freelance
Vienna, Austria

Quote:
I just don't understand the Iteration Limit button. Does it take the Iteration Limit into consideration only when active so in an off state, only the time limit is active?

Yes - if off, only the time limit is used. Mainly because the iterations are in reallity only counted viewport redraws. If there's something causing massive viewport redraws, it might trigger the iteration limit far too early, hence you can disable it completely

Quote:
How about using codecs as now it saves lossless without codec I assume?

You can use any AVI codec 3ds Max provides in the file output->setup dialog. Problem being that Max has a totally bugged AVI file interface, so your codec selection is limited and not showing all 64 bit codecs you got installed. This is a general Max problem ( same when rendering out to an AVI directly)
You can select quicktime output too, this provides a larger codec selection, as it simply interfaces with the quicktime runtime...

Old 03-28-2014, 02:16 PM   #57
DaveWortley
<database error>

portfolio
David Wortley
Technical Director
London, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to DaveWortley
I can't believe I've only just discovered how to get dynamic reflections in the viewport.....

I have no idea why this isn't on by default!!

Old 03-28-2014, 03:44 PM   #58
spacefrog
Frog of the posts

Josef Wienerroither
Freelance
Vienna, Austria

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWortley
I can't believe I've only just discovered how to get dynamic reflections in the viewport.....

I have no idea why this isn't on by default!!

They are pretty buggy, at least on my rig. It's some cubic reflection calculated internally and when it breaks, only one side of the cube gets calculated and mapped (again, might be my rig which is still DX10 only).
Only repeated toggling of some Nitrous features repairs them after that happened...

Old 10-04-2014, 11:05 PM   #59
Mike Truly
Expert
Mike Truly
Truly Media
Crested Butte, CO, USA

Josef,

Is it possible to get Power Preview to render every Nth frame rather than just the frame range?

Thanks for this great tool!

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 10-05-2014, 07:01 AM   #60
spacefrog
Frog of the posts

Josef Wienerroither
Freelance
Vienna, Austria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Truly
Josef,

Is it possible to get Power Preview to render every Nth frame rather than just the frame range?

Thanks for this great tool!

Check your PM

reply share thread