PowerPreview: High-Quality Nitrous Preview Tool

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 12 December 2011   #1
PowerPreview: High-Quality Nitrous Preview Tool

I just wanted to inform you that i just released V0.50a (Beta 4) of my PowerPreview script on ScriptSpot.

It has come a long way since i posted the "proof of concept" version here in a thread somewhere.

Here is a list of some features, for people never heard about PowerPreview :

* Create previews/snapshots of the Nitrous Viewport in the highest quality Nitrous can produce
* Create previews and viewport snapshots up to 5k*5k pixel size ( even on lowres desktops),
* Enable experimental Nitrous options ( like realtime reflection ) in the viewport
* Realtime Nitrous parameter tweaking
* Gives back live feedback during preview creation

etc...

For download please visit the scriptspot page
PowerPreview on Scriptspot

Feedback etc.. welcome,
Please post in this thread or on Scriptspot for issues, rants and feature requests

Here's a screenshot of the interface and a viewport showing the sample Troll
Notice the Troll's reflection in the chrome sphere...

Screenshot Fullres Version

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Last edited by spacefrog : 12 December 2011 at 04:33 PM.

Old 12 December 2011   #2
Great! And many thanks for making the freely available.
I still need to swtich to Nitrous for my daily work and the dynamic reflections are very cool. How do you enable them? Is this a hidden per-object switch or do you need to enable them somewhere in a material and if yes, do they work with 3rd party materials or mray materials only?

The preview image you posted on scriptspot (the one of the car) looks awesome!

Old 12 December 2011   #3
Oh dang.. this looks like a must have.

Old 12 December 2011   #4
Awesome!! I was just wishing for this hte other day. I'm excited to check it out!

Old 12 December 2011   #5
Nice for quality previews

Old 12 December 2011   #6
Thanks for the kind words !!

Just posted a new version on scriptspot ( V0.50b Beta 4 )
This mainly fixed a stupid installer bug which caused to do..... nothing... meaning install did not start. Except if you got a PowerPreview version installed already ;-)

@pokoy: reflections in the viewport...

Environment reflections are always enabled in Nitrous ( you can't even switch them off)
They work under the following conditions
Quote:
---> Show "Realistic Materials with Map" is activated

---> There is something to reflect:
"Environment Background" has to be checked in the viewport background options and "Show Background" is enabled.
Or "Use Environment Background Color" is enabled in the Viewport Configuration settings.
The first option overrides the second one

---> Mental Ray materials are showing reflections in the viewport

---> Standard Materials work too when you have a raytrace map in the reflection slot

---> Raytrace Material do NOT work ! ( material display can't be switched to hardware )

This is for plain environment reflection

Via Maxscript you have access to an additional ".DynamicReflectionEnabled" options in the Viewportsettings interface. Using that you can have dynamic reflections between objects. It's a bit buggy, and tends to fail from time to time ( at least on my graphics hardware - which is quite old) , but it works.
Propably it is more stable on newer gfyx hardware with plenty of video RAM . ( i got only 512 MB )

Here are two screens, ony with simply environment reflection , the other one including dynamic reflection
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NitrousReflections.jpg (71.9 KB, 148 views)

Last edited by spacefrog : 12 December 2011 at 09:50 AM.

Old 12 December 2011   #7
Looks amazing, thanks a lot Josef!

Old 12 December 2011   #8
Fantastic work! :-)

The only thing missing now to satisfy certain clients with a simple viewport rendering () would be motion blur and depth of field... do you think, those can be added as well? Right no only the Direct3D driver supports them, I guess...

Old 12 December 2011   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserschwert
Fantastic work! :-)

The only thing missing now to satisfy certain clients with a simple viewport rendering () would be motion blur and depth of field... do you think, those can be added as well? Right no only the Direct3D driver supports them, I guess...

Thanks !

Yes ... sadly you are correct -> only D3D mode supports DOF and MBlur
Nitrous is not capable to do it currently -> so this will most likely will not be possible with curent Max Version...*

But enhanced D3D mode support is on the to do list for the script too, so expect something like Bobo's viewport explorer with adjustable sliders/spinners in PowerPreview sometime in the future

regards, Josef

* but never say never...

Old 12 December 2011   #10
I was thinking, would it be possible to implement DOF and MBlur in Nitrous by "just" copying what Max's own D3D approach is doing for those effects? Maybe it's not necessary to have access to the function itself, but writing a version of it yourself...

I know, this sounds like the standard script noob's question of "why can't you just program it?", but that's not how I mean it... just trying to give you some ideas... Inception, basically

Old 12 December 2011   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserschwert
I was thinking, would it be possible to implement DOF and MBlur in Nitrous by "just" copying what Max's own D3D approach is doing for those effects? Maybe it's not necessary to have access to the function itself, but writing a version of it yourself...

I know, this sounds like the standard script noob's question of "why can't you just program it?", but that's not how I mean it... just trying to give you some ideas... Inception, basically

This is to some degree the same what i have had on my vision...
But knowing the reality of coding and the technical boundaries i have to cope with, i think without having access to a lower level of the Nitrous/OGS API this would be a near impossible task.
Nitrous eg. does'nt provide a screenspace shader interface for example, where it would be possible to use G-buffer info ( like z-Depth, object id's etc.. ). Nitrous is a deferred renderer, like modern game engines, so such a thing would really make amazing things possible...
but - as said that's just a dream currently...

Old 12 December 2011   #12
As far as I understand it, the Direct3D DOF and MBlur don't use any G-buffer data anyway.

DOF works by offsetting the camera in a circular manner (depending on the number of samples you choose), while staying "targeted" on the desired focus depth. These different perspectives are then blended together to create the blurred image.

MoBlur appears to be even simpler, in that it just records the subframes before and after the current frame (again, depending on the settings) and blends those together.

It seems to be more of a brute force method, without using any fancy G-buffer trickery. I don't know though to what extend Nitrous access allows storing images internally, blending those with each other and outputting the result.

Old 12 December 2011   #13
yeah - you are correct, they are pretty brute force, but that only works because the rendertime per frame in D3D is in the milliseconds range. As the concept of PowerPreview is to give Nitrous time to do it's progressive refinement ( leading to many seconds of rendertime per frame ), this method would not be very viable for Nitrous. Additionally it would destroy the great quality Nitrous is able to produce.

Thus the only options currently are:

* wait for the next generations of Nitrous and hope they implement such things like DOF etc...

* come up with a combined solution of rendering the visual output by Nitrous, and let the motion and depth data be generated by one of the standard renderers in a ultra quick render pass. After that apply some magic using public algorithms/sourcecode/dot net assemblies available...
haven't looked for the latter, but that is on my distant future vision for PowerPreview

But currently there are more fundemental features and things waiting to be implemented, so this is not really on the current agenda ;-)

Old 12 December 2011   #14
Fair enough

And even the absence of those features doesn't lessen the greatness of the script

Old 12 December 2011   #15
I am seriously loving the dynamic reflections, that is such a nice hidden bonus in this tool. PowerPreview really needs to be integrated into the Viewport capture menu and ship with max.

reply share thread