Populate:Terrain released! Create and retopologize terrain surfaces.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2011
Populate:Terrain released! Create and retopologize terrain surfaces.

Here is my latest script.
I'm working on something bigger and this is like a side product of some algorithms I'm researching.
I find it pretty useful personally (as opposed to some of my scripts that I never use myself )

This is not a general use retopologizing (is this a word?) tool. The limitation is that it operates in world space only, with the Z axis up. That's why I'm targeting it at terrain modelling. Basically it wraps a grid onto any surface, or spline cage (contour lines), and trims the result, looking from the top.
Since the grid is always aligned to X/Y, it's very easy to select rows of vertices for further modeling.

Anyway, here is the download:

Populate:Terrain

I'm looking forward to feedback and suggestions!

09 September 2011
Looks very useful! Downloading it now

09 September 2011
Wow it is amazing! Thanks a lot!)

09 September 2011
Very nice tool! Thanks for sharing it!

09 September 2011
trying it now, thanks so much!!

09 September 2011

I tried it on my non terrain mesh. Thought since the concept was the same it would work, sadly it did not. I have uploaded the file to:

http://www.treadster.com/max

if you wanted to have a look, if not - no worries

edit: here is the listener log:

-- Error occurred in flattenMesh(); filename: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2011\Scripts\populate-terrain\populate-terrain.mse; position: 6826; line: 18
--  Defined in encrypted script
--   called in startTerrainCreation(); filename: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2011\Scripts\populate-terrain\populate-terrain.mse; position: 12694; line: 42
--   called in doTerrain(); filename: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2011\Scripts\populate-terrain\populate-terrain.mse; position: 16486; line: 60
--   called in btn_process.pressed(); filename: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2011\Scripts\populate-terrain\populate-terrain.mse; position: 30517; line: 121
>> MAXScript Rollout Handler Exception: -- Runtime error: Mesh vertex index out of range:  < 1 or > 0: 1 <<
-- Error occurred in flattenMesh(); filename: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2011\Scripts\populate-terrain\populate-terrain.mse; position: 6826; line: 18
--   called in startTerrainCreation(); filename: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2011\Scripts\populate-terrain\populate-terrain.mse; position: 12694; line: 42
--   called in doTerrain(); filename: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2011\Scripts\populate-terrain\populate-terrain.mse; position: 16486; line: 60
--   called in btn_process.pressed(); filename: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2011\Scripts\populate-terrain\populate-terrain.mse; position: 30517; line: 121
>> MAXScript Rollout Handler Exception: -- Runtime error: Mesh vertex index out of range:  < 1 or > 0: 1 <<

09 September 2011
Great, a bug report! I was getting worried.
Thanks for the scene file, that helps me a lot.
Will try to fix it ASAP.

09 September 2011
np, it's a great tool - hope you can get it figured!

09 September 2011
Your test mesh is a good one. I fixed the crashing bug, but I found a bunch of other issues. Looks like I'm going to release a new version tomorrow...

09 September 2011
Cool! I will test it out again for sure.

Thanks, plastic!

09 September 2011
Originally Posted by em3: Cool! I will test it out again for sure.

Thanks, plastic!

Updated to new version 1.1, it fixes the issues you were having, among other things.

http://populate3d.com/products/terrain/

Changelog:

Fixed: Crash with localized (non-english) versions of 3ds max
Fixed: Crash when vertex index of base mesh out of range
Fixed: “Approximate Square” option sometimes not working
Fixed: Progress bar not updating
Fixed: Failed terrain creation when all normals of base mesh flipped downwards
Improved: Edge trimming quality with flat base meshes
Improved: Better result with heavily triangulated base meshes

Last edited by plastic : 09 September 2011 at 09:09 AM.

09 September 2011
Here is a teaser of what's coming in Populate:Terrain 2.0.
Voxel surface generated from point clouds (Points or Mesh/Spline verts).

This will allow clean surfaces from even the dirtiest imported CAD terrain data.
Since only verts/points are used, it doesn't matter if the contour lines are broken, or if there are issues with the mesh topology.

09 September 2011
Great stuff Marc, looking forward to try it.
I've used Terrain on a couple of projects already. Very useful and intuitive tool. Saves me a couple of steps over my previous terrain modeling workflow.

Cheers

09 September 2011
This will be great! All I can get out of AutoCad Civil 3D is terraced surfaces like that first purple terrain and it's as slow as a wet week!

09 September 2011
Plastic, sorry I have not responded in a while. I had 2 projects with the same deadline that I was behind on. I will try to test this out today!

Thread Closed share thread