day dreamer

portfolio
Dave Tyner
3D Artist
Polyform Media
Denver, United%2BStates

Send a message via Yahoo to em3
The benefit of a quadro vs geforce?

This must be a tired subject in here by now. However, being the owner of a quadro 5000 at work and a geforce gtx 580 at home, I am failing to understand how the quadro is $3500 better than my geforce.

I am definitely not trying to flame or hate, rather I am honestly trying to understand why I need a quadro. I can eek out a couple of FPS's from my moderately heavy arch viz scenes (6.5M polys before proxies) with it but that doesn't appear to me at least to justify the price difference.

I use After Effects for color correction and Premiere for editing/rendering the finals but have not done any benchmarks to date.

From what I have read it really boils down to the whole thing being subjective to what you need. I am just see from my experience that the ends don't justify the means. I am hoping someone can drop a quadro bomb here and tell me where it's better by $3500.

Thanks!

Old 08-20-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
vlad
Expert

Well, you just came to the same conclusion that everyone who've worked on both did (in Max at least). You'll know what to do the next time you upgrade your workstation Now you can start figuring out how many render nodes you can buy with that $3000...

Old 08-21-2011, 02:09 AM   #3
davius
Positive electron

portfolio
David Almeida
Part-time dreamer
Maceió, Brazil

What can I say? Welcome to the club I guess!

Old 08-21-2011, 02:58 AM   #4
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

It's true, it's basically a big scam

The gaming cards are faster than the workstation cards. However, they only make the workstation cards with large amounts of video memory. That's their only advantage.

But the thing is, many things these days are starting to take advantage of the video cards for rendering, (like iRay) and those require you to be able to have enough memory on the card to fit the scene you're rendering.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:55 PM   #5
gruhn
Expert

portfolio
Peter M. Gruhn
Medfield, USA

there is further discussion at www.3datstech.com

Old 11-19-2011, 03:24 PM   #6
Kenzor
Know-it-All

portfolio
kenneth turner
Animation supervisor
Freelance
Oxford, United Kingdom

sli

You can buy nvidea 580 cards with 3Gig of ram . With two of these linked together using sli you get as much video ram as the top end quadra 6000 card and twice the number of cuda cores....

... so this is my plan for my next upgrade

my articles and MAXScripts... www.designimage.co.uk

Old 11-19-2011, 06:40 PM   #7
vlad
Expert

SLI wont give you any performance benefits in viewport FPS, and SLI isnt required for GPU rendering. Plus afaik vram isnt cumulative across multiple cards for GPU rendering.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:42 PM   #8
em3
day dreamer

portfolio
Dave Tyner
3D Artist
Polyform Media
Denver, United%2BStates

Send a message via Yahoo to em3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzor
You can buy nvidea 580 cards with 3Gig of ram . With two of these linked together using sli you get as much video ram as the top end quadra 6000 card and twice the number of cuda cores....

... so this is my plan for my next upgrade

I bought one, it's nice.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:48 AM   #9
TheGrak
Click, type, repeat.

portfolio
Garrick Campsey
denton, USA

Those 580 geforce cards are nice. The 590 has 3gbs of vram.
The high end quadro cards only advantage is the larger vram.

Take a look at the gpu capabilities:
The price on the quadro 6000 is $4k, and you get 448 stream processors.
The price on the 590 is $750, and you get 1024 processor cores.

Unless the quadro's processors are more than twice as fast as the 590s, I'd say two sli'd 590s would be a better gpu setup than one quadro, unless your scene is larger than 3 gbs.

Quote:
vram isnt cumulative across multiple cards for GPU rendering.

^ That's the truth. Don't think that your sli'd cards are sharing memory.

Unless you are loading scenes that are massively huge onto the gpus it doesn't make sense to buy a high end quadro. (And that's coming from a quadro 4000 owner and user).

Old 11-21-2011, 08:51 AM   #10
Holzi
Frequenter
portfolio
Christian Holz
3D Artist / Medieninformatiker
Stuttgart, Germany

Just out of curiosity:
Are you using the quaddro performance driver for 3ds max at work? If not, try it and see again =)

What I do know is, that the quddro's work like a charm with premiere or after effects. If you render out videos with a quaddro instead of a gaming card you really see some difference. With 3ds max, you might see some viewport speed ups, IF (and only if) you use the performance driver. other than that, i dont see any difference either.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:52 AM   #11
spacefrog
Frog of the posts

Josef Wienerroither
Freelance
Vienna, Austria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holzi
Just out of curiosity:
Are you using the quaddro performance driver for 3ds max at work? If not, try it and see again =)

What I do know is, that the quddro's work like a charm with premiere or after effects. If you render out videos with a quaddro instead of a gaming card you really see some difference. With 3ds max, you might see some viewport speed ups, IF (and only if) you use the performance driver. other than that, i dont see any difference either.

There are no performance drivers any longer for Max 2012 and up....

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Old 11-21-2011, 11:58 AM   #12
Holzi
Frequenter
portfolio
Christian Holz
3D Artist / Medieninformatiker
Stuttgart, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacefrog
There are no performance drivers any longer for Max 2012 and up....

Did not know that! We still use 2011.
So is the viewport performance in 2012 that much better, so you don't need a performance driver anymore, or do they just don't bother anymore at nvidia?

Old 11-24-2011, 10:55 AM   #13
pokoy
dental floss tycoon

portfolio
Marcin Gruszczyk
Germany

I always had performance drivers installed for my Quadro 1800 with older max versions but still got higher fps rates with max 2012, so I think they generally improved things a lot for 2012.

Just yesterday I got my new 570 and I must say the performance is much better than with the quadro. It's running fast as hell and I have crazy high fps rates even in wireframe mode with millions faces.

Should you switch make sure to give extra attention to uninstalling old drivers, I have followed the descriptions on the nvidia site here.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:29 PM   #14
Swahn
Expert

Daniel Swahn
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holzi
Did not know that! We still use 2011.
So is the viewport performance in 2012 that much better, so you don't need a performance driver anymore, or do they just don't bother anymore at nvidia?

Compared to the old Direct3d viewport, Performance Drivers where a big boost in FPS. I remember a scene running on 17fps suddenly jumped to 70fps with a Quad and Performance Drivers.

I say Nitrous is on par with Performance Drivers, and you don't need a Quadro to make it work. If you don't consider the pesky mouse navigation lag (due to a bug deep in 3ds max) it's definitely a viewport boost for those without Quadros. Some people have reported that Nitrous is not that good dealing with animation, but I don't animate complex things inside 3ds max myself so I can't comment on that.

Seems to me like working with Quadro cards inside 3ds max don't serve a purpose any longer though. For GPU rendering you will have more cash-for-cores if you buy regular GeForces or equivalent from ATI. Besides a software system such as VrayRT does not need SLI or Crossfire enabled to utilize all hardware GPUs you have installed on your system.

Old 11-24-2011, 03:07 PM   #15
Billabong
huh?

portfolio
Brandon Hall
Modeler
Indigo Studios
Atlanta, USA

Send a message via MSN to Billabong
We have Quadro 4000's at work, and I gotta say that i actually do see a difference. We work in files brought in from cad that are around 23 million polies and before we upgraded to the quadros , I was on 470 GTX, I could barely navigate the scene even with nitrous, now its a piece of cake.

Thread Closed share thread