Quad Menu stops Appearing

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

3 Weeks Ago
Quad Menu stops Appearing

Every now and then, MAX will crash in some odd way (and I'm not sure how/why, because it looks the same as other times it's crashed and this doesn't happen) which makes all of my settings--UI, mouse, everything--reset themselves to default. It's a giant pain in the patoot, especially since even having saved and re-loading configurations tends to not quite re-do everything.

Well, this time around, something new has happened: right-clicking no longer brings up the quad menu. And, for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to make it come up again.

Please help...I relied on that functionality a lot before this happened.

3 Weeks Ago
...and now it's started working again.

Color me perplexed.

3 Weeks Ago
And now it's stopped again.

What the Hades is going on?

3 Weeks Ago
If your on windows 10 this is common with permissions. Make sure you do 2 things;

Go to C:\Program Files\Autodesk\ > Right click on your 3D Studio Max directory > Properties > Security > Edit > Add > Type; Everyone > Ok > Full Permissions - this allows writing to this directory as max usually needs to put things in here - including you if you want startup scripts.

Secondly as a preventative measure as installing new scripts/plugins and just some odd functions within max tends to reset your UI I suggest you make a copy of your ENU folder and when your settings reset, delete the current one and then put your backup copy back. Once I have setup all my customization how I like I always make a backup of this as every now and then you will lose it:

C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMa x\2017 - 64bit\ENU

replace YOURUSERNAME with your windows login.

3 Weeks Ago
I have been doing the ENU method since Windows 7 and that prevents losing my customization.

As for permissions you can just check this yourself - I am unsure about how Windows 8 operates I never used it.

3 Weeks Ago
Just take notice of what scripts you install in what order - for example when I installed a texture resizer script that resets all of the max UI. So when setting up my machine I install this first, then I continue with my other scripts and what not. Before ever installing a script copy your ENU folder, or if you have it saved already and havent changed much feel free to live dangerously

3 Weeks Ago
A lot of really critical programs won't run on 10, so I stuck with 8.1

Anyway, thanks for the advice. Also, I still can't bring up the quad menu with a right-click. Any idea why not?
I read that there is something you can uncheck--I forget exactly what it's called; it's something like "Right click over selected only"--but that's been unchecked all along...

3 Weeks Ago
Sorry, I never had an issue with the quad menus before, It sounds suspiciously like something to do with losing your other settings though.

3 Weeks Ago
Okay, this is just screwy. After doing a little digging, I found that holding down Ctrl or Alt willbring up a quad menu, but a straight-up right-click won't do it...

...anymore. It used to.

And I cannot find a way to assign it. Not just to the quad menu, but to anything;I cannot remap the mouse in any way, as near as I tell.
I shouldn't have to;even when my customized settings went away, right-click always still functioned. This is new...and I don't get it.

3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by BionicDance: Okay, this is just screwy. After doing a little digging, I found that holding down Ctrl or Alt willbring up a quad menu,
this is not the same tho...

So can you confirm again in Customize>CUI>Mouse>Right click menu over selected only is DISABLED ?

3 Weeks Ago
Quote: this is not the same tho...

It's exactly the same. Or at least, it's what I'm trying to do.

Used to be that I could right-click without holding anything else, a menu would come up, and I could select from the different types of transforms, access the Object Properties menu, and a whole host of other things. Now it'll only come up if I hold Ctrl while I right-click.

Quote: So can you confirm again in Customize>CUI>Mouse>Right click menu over selected only is DISABLED?

Over the last two days, I have checked and re-checked whether it is disabled, over and over, just to make sure...mostly because a lot of the websites that have touched the topic mention it, and, well, I feel compelled. The checkbox is unchecked. Believe me.

3 Weeks Ago
Well...maybe I should have figured this out.

If I docheck that option, create an object, right-click on it, get the menu...then open up options and un-check the option, everything goes normal.
I quit and then restarted MAX, just to make sure and, yup...now it's working.

It's enough to make a girl weep when it's that simple yet thatwho'da-thunk-it. Hmph.

3 Weeks Ago
well for me..they're NOT the same: left to right, ALT, CTRL, plain RClick

3 Weeks Ago
Well, the same or not the same, what I've just managed to accomplish/fix is exactly what I wanted: an un-modified right-click to get the transforms and Object Properties menu.

It's what I wasn'table to do before I found this fix.

reply share thread