Complex geometry help.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

3 Weeks Ago
Complex geometry help.

I'm trying to model an hvac blower (pictured below) but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to model the housing portion (blueish gray part) cleanly. I've tried starting out with a cylinder and editing polys, but I keep running into issues down the line when adding a smoothing modifier.

Can anyone share some general steps they would use to model something like this? Youtube is my friend, but I can't seem to find any tut's showing anything similar.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

3 Weeks Ago
model it simply using basic geometry, then apply a turbosmooth and add extra loops where you need to adjust the shape.

Example

3 Weeks Ago
I wanna see what all the expert modellers can recommend......then I'll show what I can do...

3 Weeks Ago
here you are..took me about 15 mins...wouldn't say 100% precedural....but it's bloody well damn close.....let's see any modellers out there can make the same 'live' chop and changes and it still carry thru the results...

3 Weeks Ago
Haha that's pretty clever use of procedural. I would've modeled it the old fashioned way, like an idiot...

3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by vusta: here you are..took me about 15 mins...wouldn't say 100% precedural....but it's bloody well damn close.....let's see any modellers out there can make the same 'live' chop and changes and it still carry thru the results...

nice one! how much are you selling your MCG tools for? And where can we download them?

3 Weeks Ago
just head to scriptspot......90% of them are FREE...but I DO appreciate a beer...as repeatedly stated in the Guruware thread...I don't expect struggling students and the likes to fork out money for me...but well off people, studios etc......simply shout me a beer/coffee...coz it DOES restore a bit faith in humanity...

3 Weeks Ago
Great work! so you are the creator of Growivy?

Just checked the thread, I see you are not the creator - I understand where you are coming from though. Cheers for the input, I dont use MCG as of yet but if I do ill be sure to throw you a beer or two

Last edited by NorthernDoubt : 3 Weeks Ago at 06:23 AM.

3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by NorthernDoubt: Great work! so you are the creator of Growivy?
nah...when Gee Oh Dee was handing out brains...he/she couldn't be bothered to reach down far enough to my level...got some empty peanuts shells instead...

(in the thread I was just on the side of the creator)

3 Weeks Ago
Model it as separate bits.

The end flange is likely to be a separate part welded on, so model it separately

reply share thread