No More Guess Work - Does Artificial Intelligence really help in denoising?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

01 January 2018
No More Guess Work - Does Artificial Intelligence really help in denoising?

Stay informed: https://goo.gl/9Ld721
finalRender  will incorporate this new AI-Denoiser technology fully integrated into finalRender. Early testing already shows promising speed gains by reducing the amount of render passes (samples) needed to get a clean image. Depending on the scene, we could see speedup factors ranging from 2 to 5 times or even 10 times faster in some situations! 

Pix 1: A greater challenge in complexity: RnD finalRender trueHybrid (TM) AI-Denoiser RnD # 3: incorporating Motion Blur, Depth Of Field for complex textures: 
Pix 2: More AI-denosing RnD #2: metal surface, depth-of-field; 
Pix 3: finalRender OptiX 5.0 AI-Denoiser at work in this RnD test rendering #1; time: 45 seconds. (Note: this will only be available for fR subscribers in the upcoming Drop 1 Update) 

RECOMMENDED READING: 
Compare between renderers in the market with AI-denoisers: 
https://developer.nvidia.com/optix-denoiser (We are Cebas)What is finalRender 'trueHybrid' ? Technically-speaking. 
See blog post: 'The Only Camera U Will Ever Need : https://goo.gl/HeCqQnEdwin Braun's been developing visual technology software for more than 25 years. 
His take on the final points of rendering photo realism : see https://goo.gl/mt2SUU

Last edited by cebasCedar : 01 January 2018 at 11:05 PM. Reason: missing text, forgot hyperlinks

01 January 2018
A render with so much DoF isnt really a good way to show of denoising capabilities since the DoF eliminates all the detail anyway...

and to be honnest there seems to be quite some artifacts created by the denoiser?

01 January 2018
VRay's and Redshift's videos show the nvidia AI denoiser in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofcCQdIZAd8
https://www.youtube.com/user/thev1800/videos

Not sure how I feel about it, it seems like it's good for previewing general stuff, but not really the best for detailed look-dev.

01 January 2018
Well, we are developing the software for integration so viewing it differently - can you be more specific as to why you don't think AI-denoiser is off much use in your work? 

01 January 2018
Well, I might be too skeptical and not see the potential, but my current workflow is almost always to compare finished renders of equal quality. Either by watching buckets finish up, or using history and quickly swapping between different renders to see the changes instantly. This is important to when deciding on lighting, and especially details in materials. Does the AI denoiser end up with the same render if you render twice?

01 January 2018
what happens if you have a small bump map on the surface, to break the specs/reflection? would the denoiser remove that as well?

01 January 2018
Can't find the article but read that it's great for medium / low-level work but really high-end stuff likely still want to render out as normal. 

01 January 2018
This is fantastic. For those who are not using denoising at the moment in their workflow - it does not remove  "high quality rendering". It simply gives you a quicker way to view your light samples while its calculating the render. If you are already using Progressive Rendering - this is the same thing but extremely fast, if you want a finer finish, for example slight bumps you have put into your textures you will just wait a little longer until you are happy with the result. But really, this is going to change the game in a major way - we will have lighting speed test renders and things you can show to your clients or leads within seconds instead of 20-30minutes on a heavy duty machine. I also like the fact were finally reaching a stage where we can use the GPU while CPU rendering. Great stuff

Have a look at how Vray has implimented this for Vray Next.

01 January 2018
Originally Posted by catche: Does the AI denoiser end up with the same render if you render twice?

I hope it does because if not, it will introduce flicker

01 January 2018
What happens if you use this on an animated sequence ? Do you get any flicker & and is the AI the same across frames - just wondering.

01 January 2018
the nvidia denoiser isnt for animations... and it does not work well for grass or hair...

02 February 2018
Originally Posted by oglu: the nvidia denoiser isnt for animations... and it does not work well for grass or hair...
 So I take it doesn't look at and use the information in render passes like normals, depth maps, etc... like other denoisers currently included with some render engines?
This one just looks at high frequency noise in the beauty pass and interpolates/blurs it out (using ai)?

02 February 2018
In my experience denoising works very well for animations. I would hope its the same for this technology.

02 February 2018
Originally Posted by ACiD80:  So I take it doesn't look at and use the information in render passes like normals, depth maps, etc... like other denoisers currently included with some render engines?
This one just looks at high frequency noise in the beauty pass and interpolates/blurs it out (using ai)?
Redshift, which has a working experimental version out for maya currently, suggests adding diffuse filter and bump normals AOVs to help it along. And devs said they are looking to add support for more, though it seems difficult.

reply share thread