Cloning/Scatter the same character in scene (Solved)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

01 January 2018
Cloning/Scatter the same character in scene (Solved)

Hello, Im working on a scene where a group of soldiers salute one character.

The character to clone weights 73mb and use Biped Bones, if I clone him manually the scene is almost like 5GB (without the background, only characters)
Tried importing him as a Xref Object but the file weights the same, and when I import them as Xref scene and Bind to a object, the skinfails.

There is a way where I can Scatter this character on the scene ?
I dont need them to walk, they stay in the same position and do a salute animation.

Tried to use the Crowd helper but all the tutorials I seen you have to make a new biped for each character, and populate dont let me import my own model

Thanks

Last edited by Osukaanimation : 02 February 2018 at 07:55 PM.

01 January 2018
so is there a character mesh that can be point cached out ?

01 January 2018
here's a little proof of concept, assuming you have a character MESH...

so the character just bends left and right...use that as an instance for the particles...emit on the verts of a grid...but you don't have to...you can even vary the animation so they aren't perfectly in sync

Note: you don't even need the point cached, I used it coz I wanted to vary the animation by a few frames so I need a few frames BEFORE 0 that's all

So this way, you can even use PF and display in viewport just a few percent of the total characters...if the scene gets too heavy...

01 January 2018
I'd go with Vusta method.
Only thing I'd add, if your character is made out of several objects (eyes, body, cloths...), then you first make a group of it, and in "shape instance" pick that group.
-----------------------------
If, for some reason, this don't work, or is still very very slow, you must then prepare character as a single (point cached) mesh.
You can do that like this:
- Grab all geometry of your original character at frame 0, and make a snapshot of it (clone at that frame)
- Attach all new cloned geometry to a single mesh (via edit poly - attach)
- Add a skinwrap modifier to your clone, and pick up all original character meshes (now it will follow animation of original)
- above skinwrap put a pointcache modifier and cache animation
- After the caching is done, collapse all modifier, except point cache.

Now you have a single mesh without rig, that should be pretty fast when using particle flow.

01 January 2018
vustaandd4rk3lf THANKS A LOT!!!

The character was made with a lot of objects, I used the Skin Wrap and Point Chache trick and works great.

The Particle Flow is a bit slow in my computer but I tried it with Multiscatter and does the magic, the file runs smooth and light

Thank you very much!

01 January 2018
cool...yeah there's probably even more advanced techniques like vrmesh whatever...but I wanted to stick to a basic barebones approach first...

'ten hut !!!

01 January 2018
but sometimes knowing the basics is more useful than going to the "big guns" at start.
This point cache stuff is going to make a lot of things easier

reply share thread