3DS Max to Revit

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

01 January 2018
3DS Max to Revit

Hello all.

This might sound like a silly question but does anyone have a procedure to take a 3DS max file and convert it to Revit.

I do know the procedure to convert Revit to 3DS max and I have successfully created renderings using this process.

Sometimes I need quick renderings and prefer to use Revits engine as it has improved to the point were it gives decent results.

Yes it can never match 3DS max nor compare.

Thing is 3DS max has much better 3D models and Revit lacks any decent furniture families.

Any help or links to procedures will greatly be appreciated.

John

01 January 2018
It is a horribly complicated process.

Format: DWG 2007 (there are limitations in faces/verts per object). If your object exceeds this you will get a warning and will need to break up your object to multiple objects below the count.
Materials: Material management is done in Revit using: Manage > Object Styles > Imported Objects.
The way it works with DWG is using material by layer based on object/layer color. So you will need to separate your materials to layers and make sure the layers and object color are the same, and not by using the by layer object property.
Textures: There is no way to get UVs into Revit (that I have found) and they are simple planar mapped once in Revit.

-Eric

reply share thread