Particle Flow bug in 2018

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  05 May 2018
Particle Flow bug in 2018

Hey there,

I´ve been having trouble lately with particle flows created with older Max version not rendering in Max 2018.

The bug is very weird: I cache a Pflow to disk on a mapped network drive all render nodes can access, but I can only render it on my workstation locally.
I can´t even render it on a different workstation locally. Weirdest thing: Only one event doesn´re render on the other workstation and the render nodes...
Max versions are identical.

Anyone else having that or similar issues?
Sometimes I had success creating an empty particle flow and reconnecting the olde events to the new flow, but not in this case.
I also tried repairing the cache system and syncronizing layers, in one case it helped to select all child nodes of the Pflow layer and set object properties to "by layer" instead of "by object".

Next step would be to completely recreate the particle flow with all events and recaching it, but it has been a very common problem since we switched to 2018 a while ago.
 
  05 May 2018
I believe this has been a known issue since 2018 was released, with no development fix that I'm aware of. Any pflow created before max 2018 doesn't work in 2018. Fortunately the fix is simple: Keep all of your events, but you'll need to delete the top source, create a new one and plug everything back in. Something about the old source node doesn't carry over. Is that the issue you're having?

Edit: Nevermind, read your post again. I got nothin.
__________________
Chris L. Harkins
 
  05 May 2018
No no, definitely ONE of the issue I´ve been having, so thats good to know, that its not just me...
 
  05 May 2018
Some additional info on the related topic, it doesn't affect every Flow, for the most part only the first PF_Source001 created is effected, at least in with my stuff.

@ Charkins you are correct. The current workaround is to unwire and delete PF_Source_001 event, delete it (along with any ops within) and create a new  "Empty Flow", add any other ops that you may have had there (ie Cache or Cache Disk are often used here) rewire and try again. Most often this has fixed issues I ran into. I have found that if i have renamed Source Events I need to find the first one that was created, this seems to be where the issue lies internally, for whatever reason.


Have you tried using a full path instead of a networked drive?
__________________
poof ~>Vimeo<~
 
  05 May 2018
Thats just an amazingly stupid bug to neither being caught before release nor being fixed by now...

Still not 100% sure on what needs to be done...

I´m now at:
1. Disconnect Pflow.
2. Create empty Pflow and reconnect.
3. Leave old Pflow in the scene.

Copying over all ops BUT the render op (like cache disk or material) seems to work in this case.
 
  05 May 2018
I seem to have found a rather bizarre big whereby - although I am using a position object operator and choosing on object, particles are birthed on every object.

It's just one thing after another with pflow.


__________________
www.jd3d.co.uk - I'm available for freelance work.
 
reply share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.