Backburner not found or not installed

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

05 May 2018
Backburner not found or not installed

Okay, something weird has happened: submitting a scene to network rendering has yielded this message:

Cannot network render. Backburner not found or not installed.
Verify that the path to backburner is set in the Windows path environment or that the backburner is actually installed on this system.

Now, I knowthat backburner is installed; I've got the Queue, Manager, and Monitor up right now.
I've tried adding the backburner path in the Windows path environment settings, but honestly...well, I really don't know whattheheck I'm doing when it comes to that, so I don't know whether I've done it correctly. (I guess I haven't, since I'm still getting the same message.)

...and, of course, I've tried rebooting.

Now, this is new; I rendered something just a few days ago; I have no ideawhat happened or what changed. I need some help, here...anyone? Please?
Can you re-install backburner without completely reinstalling MAX? (I've got MAX 2013, for what that's worth.)

Thanks.

05 May 2018
yeah should be able to reinstall just BB...not the whole Max..

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/supp...esign-2013.html

05 May 2018
Yeah, I figured that out eventually, how to do it...didn't help; still getting the same error.

Tried re-configuring the environment path variable...that either didn't help or I did it wrong (the help files on how to do it are maddeningly non-specific on the details).
Tried repairing Backburner from the Programs and Features menu...said I needed Windows Explorer 6.0 or above to do it; I have Explorer 11. Tried to repair that;couldn't find it in the Programs and Files. Tried to download an installer program to see whether that would help; the download screen didn't do anything when I selected the version and clicked 'Next'. It wouldn't download.

Seriously, it's like the universe is against me on this one. Seems almost as if my entire OS is just plain broken.
I'm running a diagnostic/repair program right now (DSIM), and hopefully that will help, but I'm not super-confident.

Alas.

05 May 2018
Okay, so...looked further into the problem, and it seems that some internet protocol or other was interfering with the program.

I know two things about internet protocols: diddly and squat.
But I followed the instructions to disable IPv6, as one MAX site said I ought...and it worked; MAX will now let me submit a file to network rendering, where before, it wouldn't. (No idea how that ended up happening, but it did.)

NEW PROBLEM:Now my renderfarm computer can't find the manager of my main machine.
The bakcburner server says "Looking for a manager using [ff02::1]:3234", and that machine is not visible to the Queue Monitor on my main machine.

One step forward, two steps back, eh?

Can anyone help me out, here?

reply share thread